It’s been one week since Darkness of Dragons came out and I know that a whole bunch of you have read it already. I bet some of you have read it more than once, and I know you’re talking about it on other threads. But here is our spoiler-full discussion -- fly out of this thread RIGHT NOW if you don't want to be spoiled!

All right, are you ready?

What did you think? What was your favorite part? What did you guess and what completely surprised you? And -- what did you think of that ending?!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Recent threads

Wings of Fire: Ask and answer trivia /305351

Storystarter: spirit animal POV /306163

Shadow House images /306164

Horizon: Your best tech project /305353

Need storystarters? Check out Shadow House and Horizon! 

First!

• Posted at:

Iv~

Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.”

~ Charles M. Schulz

#ChristmasAesthetic

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

And the best part was PEACEMAKER!!!! He's so adorable 

• Posted at:

Iv~

Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.”

~ Charles M. Schulz

#ChristmasAesthetic

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

HAIL PLANKTON PEACEMAKER

• Posted at:

<+> Wild <+>

A Seawing and a >Gryffindor

LGBTQ+

{ QUEEN OF MIND CONTROL }

Forum Annoying & Childish Sister

"QIBLI IS ME, YELLING AT A BOWL WHILE THE WORLD BURNS AROUND ME" -Mer

Tbh I absolutely hate the ending/Peacemaker and want him to die painfully

:)

• Posted at:

But meteors are begging for differentiationJudging by the hole in the satellite image

IT WAS MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER JUST BECAUSE IT WAS FROM QIBLI'S PoV.  I love Qibli so much, and he was so so so awesome in this book.  I love how Moonbli turned out, how Darkstalker was "defeated", and the epilogue was the best epilogue I've ever read.

Some of my favorite parts were:

-When Qibli met Moon in the Night Kingdom library

-When Darkstalker was reunited with his mother

-When Qibli and Kinkijou faced Chameleon

-When Qibli and Winter argued, every time

I loved it, and I'm rereading it right now.  I just...had to experience Qibli again.

You know the Qibli fanclub Peril mentioned?  I'm in it, and I'm his #1 fan. 

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Love God, Love Others, Love Yourself

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

Life is worth living and love is worth giving. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Third :D

• Posted at:

Necro(mancer)  

That's my name, don't wear it out.

I'm a cancer, we give ducks -Vertigo

Avian American

Queen of the WoFMB

I support LGBTQ+, but that doesnt mean you have to

#FreeTheQiblis  

#SBisintheLouvre

Forum Big Sis: Snowbelle

Sockist 

I just can't come up with any legitimate theories when it comes to Wings of Fire. Tui always, always, always surprises me.

For example, Peacemaker. I never saw that coming, but I think it's a good solution to the Darkie Dilemma.

And ANEMARIN surprised me too and was one of my favorite bits! A good compromise to the Pikmarin vs. Onyxarin situation.

Also "We'll probably end up married one day" is perfection. PERFECTION, I SAY!

And I guess I thought the SandWing animus would be Saguaro, especially since we'd been misled on Jerboa's gender.

tHAT ENDING THOUGH

I NEED BOOK 11 NOW NOW NOW

• Posted at:

Jadeseeker

~ She/Her ~

You are a Dragon Legend!

CTD:

Onyx

Tamarin

Umber

Margay Scattering Auburn Cottontail Gyrfalcon Canal Malice Distance Darkwatcher

Okay it was a very good book, but some parts were eh *deep inhale*

(Mods, I apologize for the length of this)

Darkstalker shouldn't have ended that way. It wasn't horrible, but I feel like Peacemaker wasn't really necessary. I think if Darkstalker was locked away under a stronger enchantment, or they found a way to take off his protections and kill him, would have been a bit more interesting. Especially since no one died really, except for side/supporting characters, so having at least just Darkstalker die would have been better.

The epilogue was what really got me, though. Winter with the Talons of Peace surprised me, and I felt like that wasn't a very great ending for him (i'm biased though so don't listen to me). But I felt like his personality in DoD was soooo different from that of WT so that was kind of saddening cause Winter was amazing and then he got all annoyed at everything and grumpy and I know he was like that a little before but never this much. But then when Kinkajou suggested that he go see Moon he was just like eh. How do you get over a crush that easily?!?! And send your crush and her significant other letters without even feeling sad about being with her or mad at Qibli? For stealing her? And I know he's pretty forgiving but still (again, I'm biased towards Winter and Winterwatcher so don't listen to me). Then his own winglet doesn't even tell him where Darkstalker went???? And all that made me sad so ya know.

Okay next part of the epilogue where Moon goes to the Sand Kingdom to see Qibli. And she asks him out I guess, and then Qibli starts going off on how Winter is better for her. But then she's basically like "he can take care of himself but I know I need you." And that's great and all until Moon says "just say yes" (or something along those lines) to Qibli?? Did she just force him into a relationship?? Again more anti Moonbli stuff ehhh

But the Lost Continent Dragon OMG that's amazing

I'd also like to add that the spell used to teleport the  IceWings and NightWings away during the battle worked on Winter, but not Moon?!?! Is Moon not a NightWing? Or did they leave her out of the spell but conveniently forgot about Winter? Who was out risking his life fighting the OP NightWings while the others sat there and talked about spells and how to stop everything without risking their own scales?!?!?

Back to Winter's personality for a second, I believe his personality changed so drastically because the Winterwatcher ship was so much stronger at that point that his personality had to be changed so Moon wouldn't like him as much, just so Moonbli could happen. (Not to mention that a lot of the Moonbli moments seemed awkward and crammed into the book).

But otherwise, this book was AMAZING!!!

• Posted at:

~Corey~

-Morrigan-

/Leonel/

Board Game Designer

WINTERWATCHER

TURTLEWAFFLE

CLERILISAFRUIT

~Joined 2015~

#RememberTheLost

#FISHAreFriends4LIFE

#StayPeculiar

Slytherin

IceWing

CREW!!!!

Wizard

Avenger

Peculiar

Forum Maintenance Worker

I completely agree with Corey about Winter.

• Posted at:

But meteors are begging for differentiationJudging by the hole in the satellite image

@Hydra, same. 

After WT, I expected him to act like he did in the epilogue for all of DoD, and then Qibli and Winter would actually work together as friends throughout it instead of Winter acting like he hated Qibli and Qibli seeming really desperate for his attention.

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

Life is worth living and love is worth giving. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

I certainly was not expecting Peacemaker! So cute, though!

The ending just has me mEGA HYPED FOR EVERYTHING 

I wonder what the new tribes are called...

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

Don we now our GAAPPAREL~

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#AwkwardCanadianInTheCorner

#DoItForTheDoggo

LightSPIDER

Leaf 

Shurika

ReadfoCHRISTMA• *

The spell teleported the dragons that were fighting. Winter was fighting, Moon was not. It didn't teleport Darkstalker because he's immune to animus magic.

• Posted at:

Call me Shadow

LGBT+ Supporter

I'm glad they didn't just kill Darkstalker, but Peacemaker is SOOOOO different from Darkstalker it's kinda weird, and I feel a little bad for him. I was hoping they would just take his Animus powers away, and let him live with his mother... 

• Posted at:

~REY~

THE

Jedi

Lunar

Icewing

Avenger

Slytherin

Nightfury

BYU COUGAR

#TheLastJedi

The Peacemaker ending was a little sad, sure. But it was better than killing Darkstalker or sending him into eternal sleep again. Peacemaker was the best resolution for Darkstalker, even if it WAS a little sad that we'll never see Dorkstalker again.

• Posted at:

<+> Wild <+>

LGBTQ+

@Wild, Um.  "Dorkstalker?"  Was that just a typo?

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

My favorite part was when Moon and Qibli met in the library. I LOVED THE EPILOGUE 

• Posted at:

Call me... *~Reading~*                 

Fanwing

Gryffindor 

Bookworm

Jedi

Christan

Pegasister

"When in doubt go to the library" ~J.K Rowling

#TheShippingIsReal

#BeMoreFictional

#WeirdSenpaiSquad

"There are more dangerous things than a little magic" ~Nikolai

I really loved Qibli's PoV because he's such a likable character, and he's also really smart, so he thought of a lot of things I was mentally suggesting to the characters. Like, I read the part about the really small armory, and I was thinking Why not take the weather bracelets and smite your enemies! and I flipped the page and it actually happened.

Anyway, how long are the events that Tui has? Like, the one on August 19th in NYC, does anyone know how long would that be?

• Posted at:

*~Luna~*

Joined March 7 2015

Wiccan

Bisexual

Miraculer

Ravenclaw

"If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention."

Cleril is canon and I'm uber happy, you don't understand.

Turtlejou although they said they'd give it time I'm considering partially canon. The ship fuel was real and having the ones that saved the world be together is so cute. I'm also happy Kinkajou saved the world (strawberry and talisman) cause she's amazing. And that Turtle saved the world (bowl and earring). The end of book 9 killed me when Turtle didn't have a happy ending, but now he's an adorable hero and writer

• Posted at:

\*\Ivory/*/

#Clerilisafruit

Broadway/Music fan!

Turtlewaffle

Slytherin (Slytherin)

LGBTQ+

enfj

"A friend is what the heart needs all the time"

I ship a lot of things

#YouWillBeFound

Anemarin

I LOVED DoD SO MUCH! BEST BOOK EVER!
I have to say my favorite part was when Darkstalker's name got changed into Peacemaker lol. And what really surprised was the fact who defeated Darkstalker. It could've been Winter or Qibli! But it was Kinkajou...

• Posted at:

Qibliwatcher....so I'm not upset with it but not thrilled. Like, I want Moon to be happy, but it didn't seem right, I can't explain it.

Winter, trust me, I'm not a hardcore winter fan, but I felt he got cast aside. I wish there was a little more explanation to his mood swings.

So I think we can agree the entire book was mostly about Qibli and Winter having friendship goals that involved a lot of arguing about fashion

• Posted at:

\*\Ivory/*/

#Clerilisafruit

Broadway/Music fan!

Turtlewaffle

Slytherin (Slytherin)

LGBTQ+

enfj

I ship a lot of things

#YouWillBeFound

Anemarin

Winter did seem really weird (it was like he hadn't changed at all in WT) but I like to imagine it was because of Darkstalker's spell, and that makes me feel a little better.

I dunno, since I read DoD I've kind of been obsessing over Winter for some reason.  It's super annoying, but...whatever.

Qibli is still the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

I bet no one saw what I did there ^

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

Exactly. There was definitely more romantic moments with Winterwatcher. I also think Peacemaker was unecessary. 

• Posted at:

Welp, Imma icewing, nightwing, seawing, sandwing hybrid. 

The name's Abyss the seawing. I'm also known as Foresight the nightwing.

I'm also known as Crystal the Icewing.

And I'm apparently known as Coyote the Sandwing.

Wait!  When you guys say that there was more Winterwatcher moments than Moonbli, do you mean in the entire second arc or just in DoD?  Because I can only think of ONE Winterwatcher moment in DoD, and it's when they first see each other again and he's looking at her with "tortured longing".  But I don't really count this as a Winterwatcher moment because it says nothing about how Moon looked, like she could have been totally creeped out, asleep, sneezing--we just don't know.  (That was mostly semi-serious of course).  Basically, Tui made it pretty obvious throughout DoD that Moon liked Qibli, and not Winter.

(Please don't flame me for this, I don't mean for it to be offensive in any way).

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

"and they were just...looking at each other"

Just imagine walking in on that awkwardness, kind of hilarious

• Posted at:

\*\Ivory/*/

#Clerilisafruit

Broadway/Music fan!

Turtlewaffle

Slytherin (Slytherin)

LGBTQ+

enfj

I ship a lot of things

#YouWillBeFound

Anemarin

That was the best book.  I'M SO GLAD MOONBLI WON!!!  >pats Winterwatcher shippers< I promise not to gloat ... well, not to gloat too much.

• Posted at:

Wings

She/her

I'm back now, for real.

Eventide, Nightmare, Indigo Raven, the Silver Dragoness,

I've got your backs, wherever your lives may take you.

Unfortunately I've had to stand in a group with two people who are just "looking at each other".  Super uncomfortable for me.  Typical brother, putting me in that situation. *rolls eyes*

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

@Ambreeze: No, Dorkstalker was not a typo.

@Person who said Cleril is canon: JUST BECAUSE TURTLEJOU IS POSSIBLY CANON DOES NOT MEAN THAT CLERIL IS CANON! IT MAKES ME BEYOND ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE SAY THIS!

• Posted at:

<+> Wild <+>

LGBTQ+

@Wild,

1. Dorkstalker? Hmmm....interesting

2. You don't need to freak out just because someone said Cleril is canon.  But you do realize the epilogue hinted strongly at it, right? 

• Posted at:

Ambreeze

Jesus saved me

fK&C TOPVictoriaDrive

I was happy to have guessed that onyx was royalty; but I thought that the dragon in the dungeon WAS Palm, I was surprised that she was her sister Prinkle instead! One of favorite parts is when Quibl made the spell that stopped the nightwing and icewing armies. That was amazingly smart and heroic. I also loved reading about Clay+Peril and Moon+Quibl.(giggles)

I had a feeling that it would continue or connect some how to the lost continent, which makes it really exciting to see what happens next. However, I feel like Moon will never stop being pulled into adventures, I just hope she makes sure to take vacations and breaks to relax between them.

• Posted at:

I mean, I think Peacemaker was the best possible solution when it comes to trying to have a compromise between the people who wanted Darkstalker dead and those who didn't, but...

I still want Darkstalker to have a horrible painful death. The fandom has made me hate his guts ;w;

• Posted at:

:・゚☆✧ marx :・゚☆✧

✧ queen of glitter

✧ forum novakid/xurkitree 

✧ PRAISE SOCKS

✧ MINTY FRESH PEBBLES

I liked the book overall though I was kind of annoyed over Peacemaker, three books ago they were all against changing a dragon into another dragon and suddenly now they decide to do it. 

• Posted at:

I loved DoD! It was great! I will try to make my thoughts concise so I don't blab a lot. Anyway...

I personally really like that Qibli's awesome fashion "opinions" get spread throughout the world. Hehe. Oh and that Cobra loves Qibli. Also through Qibli and Moon you see how everyone has some good in them.

About shipping, I was shipping everyone with everyone and so I honestly feel like Starspeaker is the only confirmed canon ship. But Anemarin is so cute!

I have a little theory on how Moon and Qibli could get to the lost continent. So Turtle or Anemone use their magic to send Moon or Qibli to the lost continent  and make it so they can return. 

PS did anyone else wonder if Clearsight actually reached the lost continent and that is why the visitor is here.

• Posted at:

<>Breeze<> 

Breeze's Foxcraft Account

Siffla forever. Pirie is awesome.

I wrote way more than I intended to, and it all came out pessimistically, but yee here's my thoughts

I've spent the past week trying to put into words how much I hate Peacemaker and how utterly completely totally disappointed I am, but I'm not sure if words can do me justice here. I don't know what I expected that would have been a satisfying ending, but I think the last thing I would ever come up with was turning him into a half-RainWing dragonet. I mean, if I were a dragon in Pyrrhia, I'm pretty sure Peacemaker is more dangerous to me than Darkstalker ever was because I'm allergic to strawberries. I emphatically don't get it and I emphatically don't want to get it and every time I think about it I feel like my insides have been scooped out with a melon baller.

Was there any reason for Winter's awkward personality shift? I know each book is kind of seen through POV-colored spectacles, but if it was, it's such a dramatic shift that I really don't get it. Winter's been pretty consistent, character-wise. And then...blam.

I'm also pretty disappointed by Qibli's POV. I know it could have gone gimmicky easily, but I wish there were more comparisons, especially subtle ones, between Qibli and Darkstalker. I also wish Qibli had done something wrong or bad in the book - like, not saving his siblings, or getting animus powers from Darkstalker, or something like that. (I mean, I know it would have added way too much to the plot if he'd gotten powers from Darkstalker, and I didn't expect him to use them or anything, but...eh.) It just made his character arc feel stunted and pointless. It felt more like someone else's story, and Qibli was just narrating - which would be fine, but the other books aren't really like that.

I didn't really like the way the prophecy was handled, either. The fight scene just felt...awkward, and short, and anticlimactic. I knew what would go down pretty much the moment Qibli picked up Anemone's weather bracelets at the beginning of the book.

I don't ship Moonbli or Winterwatcher, but I thought the way it ended up was just unnecessary. I don't know why. I guess I don't really care too much.

On the optimistic side of things, I loved the writing. Tui just keeps getting better and better. I love descriptions of cities, especially the Scorpion Den. I liked that Winter's interest in scavengers came up again. I, of course, love Anemone and Tamarin. I liked how Darkstalker was trying to build Clearsight from the ground up because it was gross and twisted and weird and it reminded me of myself. There was a lot I liked, actually. I really enjoyed the book while I was reading it, but it was a decrescendo from the very start.

Overall, I think it was a bunch of random events crammed together under a deadline, but written well. I know I would have done far worse given the same circumstances, and I'm really grateful and impressed that Tui writes so much and so well, but I can't really help being disappointed in Darkness of Dragons.

HYPED for the graphic novel though!

• Posted at:

Clever, A Very Clevery Guy

he/theyintj-a hipster nerd

loves that razzle dazzle aesthetic ☆

[mariachi band playing The Sound of Silence]

I think, of all the books, this one was the most heartfelt of them all. I have no idea which part was my favorite, though. The ships I recognized in the end were:

Moonbli

Wintscavenger

Turtlejou

Anemarin

Cleril

That's all, right?

• Posted at:

*  *   * TW  *  *  *

She/her

THERE'S TOO MUCH SNOW! *shovels signature*

I'm the girl over there on the sled, who is about to crash.

Proud Washingtonian

"I listen when something is worth hearing" -Winter

Re: Winter's mood swings, I just keep thinking about how terrible he felt from the that brief moment of being Pyrite (we talked about it on another thread I think), and so I think Darkstalker's spell must have really, really thrown him for a loop. He thought he was totally himself but Darkstalker was in his head. I suspect that while Winter was coming around to be able to handle powers because he cared for Moon, that he might have some work to do after this experience.  

Peacemaker is such a conundrum, because we saw how terrible it is to change another dragon with animus magic -- but it was the only way to keep Darkstalker alive and not imprison him (and keep worrying he'd escape). Another thing I love about Tui -- she doesn't choose the easy answer. Some authors would've just had Darkstalker die, but it's much more complicated and interesting that he doesn't...

• Posted at:

Recent threads

Wings of Fire: Ask and answer trivia /305351

Storystarter: spirit animal POV /306163

Shadow House images /306164

Horizon: Your best tech project /305353

Need storystarters? Check out Shadow House and Horizon! 

@Ambreeze ~ Dorkstalker isn't a typo. Search it on the forums, it has a history. I came up with it, probably shortly after reading Talons of Power because of how horribly disrespectful he was to Glory and the fact that he took away Turtle's animus abilities. I certainly don't hate Darkstalker, but I'm not a fan of a lot of the things he did. He's complicated, but there's most certainly good inside him.

• Posted at:

Jadeseeker

~ She/Her ~

You are a Dragon Legend!

CTD:

Onyx

Tamarin

Umber

Margay Scattering Auburn Cottontail Gyrfalcon Canal Malice Distance Darkwatcher

I loved reading about Qibli and seeing the world through his eyes! I LOVED the detail that was provided and I feel like that was a way to emphasize the fact that Qibli notices all the little things. I'm not sure how to feel about the ships, but then again I've never been a shipping person. Overall, I thought the book was pretty awesome sauce and it was one of three books that have made me cry. I'll never look at strawberries the same way again.  

• Posted at:

----{-SNAPPLE-}----

"Another happy landing"

Qibli earrings for everyone! I was so excited when Qibli gave the dragons of destiny the earring to save them Dark's spells. Plus I never expected Winter joining Qibli for the journey but I'm glad he did. A lot of people are completely and understandably upset about how Darkstalker was defeated but the most important part was that he WAS defeated and will never haunt the dragons again! Plus now even Foeslayer can start over which is great after all she went through. I'm extremely happy about the epilogue but now having to wait to learn about the lost continent AAAHH. It's kinda become a tradition for whenever I let my friend borrow one of the WoF books to read for the first time she puts sticky notes in the book to write her reactions that are pretty hilarious. I can't wait to see her reactions once I pass on the book.

• Posted at:

You may call me Aqua or Infinity

Peril Protection Program member

WoF forever

Join the tea squad

1 ,