Happy Friday the 13th, y’all! I hope you’ve had a good week. Today we start PART 2 of The Dragonet Prophecy: IN THE SKY KINGDOM, with chapters 14 and 15 (in which we arrive in Scarlet’s arena, and we meet PERIL!)

This reread may contain SPOILERS for any and all Wings of Fire books. If you have not finished the series, read ahead at your own peril. (snrk)

SUMMARY

Chapter 14: We open with Clay on one of Scarlet’s prisoner towers, too terrified of falling with his wings clamped shut to even open his eyes. He stays like that the whole first day he’s there, but is forced to open his eyes when Peril drops a chunk of meat on his face the second day. Reminded of Dune’s corpse by the meat, he throws up, and then we get a description of the scenery. Peril introduces herself and they talk for a bit, and then she flies off to get ready for a battle as citizens file into the arena seating. Glory is brought out and introduced as Scarlet’s new art, and then the combatants enter the arena….

Chapter 15: Vermilion introduces the two fighters (SandWing soldier Horizon and Champion Peril), and then they fight. Horizon runs away for a time, but soon gives up and burns himself to death on Peril’s scales. Scarlet is disappointed by how boring the battle was. She sweeps off in disgust, leaving her guards to clean up, and Clay wonders if Glory is drugged and if Starflight can possibly survive the arena.

Gruesome death count: 3

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

“The war had slashed this kingdom with sharp talons. Clay spotted collapsed towers, scorch marks along several walls, and a ravine half full of dragon bones. Even as he watched, he saw two SkyWings carry in the corpse of a crimson dragon and dump it in the ravine. They set fire to the body and hovered for a moment over the smoke, their wings brushing against each other. Then they wheeled and flew away, leaving the body to blaze down to ashes and singed bones.”

*Sigh* It’s too bad we don’t get this kind of imagery in the second arc. The first arc had such a powerful thematic resonance--the feeling that this thing the dragonets are supposed to be stopping? It’s a very real and concrete thing that is affecting the lives of millions of people, and it has been for nearly twenty years, with well-defined consequences, and it is a thing that needs to be stopped.

It’s too bad arc 2 didn’t get this kind of scale and thematic/storywise coherency.

WORLDBUILDING

“Fire-colored dragons crawled across the mountain face, digging and blasting out new palace extensions…”

Interesting that they’re still doing construction on the palace/city.

Wonder how the wing clamps work?

BIOLOGY AND CULTURE

Firescales! It’s too bad there’s almost no fanart, and NO official art, of Peril as actually copper-colored. It sounds gorgeous.

“Her eyes were startling, like two small blue flames blazing through the smoke. Clay was pretty sure SkyWings normally had orange or yellow eyes. He wondered if something was wrong with this one, like Sunny.”

Is this a symptom of firescales, or just a random mutation/recessive gene that sometimes shows up in the population? If it IS a genetic thing, it probably shows up in the adult population even more rarely than in dragonets, due to the SkyWing tradition of killing off weird dragonets.

BODY LANGUAGE + NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION:

“One of the SkyWing guards stood in the center of the arena and clapped his wings thunderously until the audience was silent.”

“...Two of the guards let out a trumpeting roar. All the other dragons snapped to attention.”

“The fire-breathing hiss of all the gathered dragons greeted [Scarlet]. Clay knew this sound only as a warning that Kestrel was about to spout flames at him. It took him a moment to realize that the SkyWing dragons were hissing with respect.”

DRAGONSPEAK

“Blazing,” meaning something like awesome; Peril uses it frequently, but this bit of slang disappears after book 1, sadly. Why Tui this was a great bit of worldbuilding

“Claws up, fire ready! Fight!”

COMMENTARY

Still no “three moons.” And I still need help with the annotations if anyone can do that! (Thank you to everyone who's done that in the past.)

See you next week, in a couple chapters that are mostly a lot of talking. Interesting talking, though.

Previous reread: /321064  Index: /317770

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

~Leopardus tigrinus~

we'll fill the metro skies with country air 

Limited computer access lately

TDP Reread: /322699

The hissing-with-respect thing really stuck out to me too when I read it. I was kinda disappointed that they weren't able to really convey that in the graphic novel. 

THREE MOONS THESE GUYS REALLY NEED TO GET ON TO PROPER EUPHEMISMS.

• Posted at:

{~Şǻȵểʈɍẵ~} 

TapYourFootAndListenIn

IgnoreTheWorldLetTheMusicCaveIn 

CloseYourPhoneAndBreatheInTheAir

You'llSoonRealizeThere'sSomethingThatIs

So Much More Than This

It Is What It Is

So Much More Than This

4Amigas

eurekaDarkseaBearBlackberryVertigoLector

Tough maybe ' blazing ' is something Peril herself came up with, and no one else uses it.

Also, isn't the gruesome death count 2?

Dune

Horizon

And last time you said two gruesome dea-

OH!

I was halfway through writing that when I realized.

You're counting the scavenger, right?

• Posted at:

~Fairydragon~

She/Her

Quote of the Week:"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way"~Napoleon Hill

Endangered Species of the Week: Tali Palm Tree, Corypha taliera

#EmergencySeaFish

#EightFootSeaTurtle

#Tropicfall

#RememberRubyLav

Hvitur, actually.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

~Leopardus tigrinus~

Ooooh!

*slams head on imaginary desk*

HOW THE HOBGRACKLES DID I NOT REMEMBER HVITUR!

• Posted at:

~Fairydragon~

She/Her

Quote of the Week:"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way"~Napoleon Hill

Endangered Species of the Week: Tali Palm Tree, Corypha taliera

#EmergencySeaFish

#EightFootSeaTurtle

#Tropicfall

#RememberRubyLav

Here's the annotations! I love this project so much, your analysis is great and it makes me remember how much I love the first arc.

Chapter 14

The queen's prisoners were kept in the sky.
Tui: My first thought was to have a standard dungeon, with bars and locks and caves underground, and then I was like, YAWN, these are DRAGONS, they could have extra-cool weird prisons! So I started thinking about what the opposite of what an ordinary dungeon would be, and that's how I came up with this sky prison.

His rock-tower prison was one of about a hundred spires, spread out in a huge circle. Nearly every one had a dragon trapped at the top, like him. Like him, they each had thin metal clamps on the outer edge of their wings. In the center of the circle was a bowl of rock, like an empty lake, with sand at the bottom and sheer walls. Above the walls were rows of benches, balconies, and caves for spectators to look down into the arena.
Tui: I was writing this while at home with my first baby, and I remember building little mini SkyWing prisons with his blocks while we played, trying to figure out how this might look. Let's see if I can stick in a picture...if not, I'll post them on my blog!
(Note from Clever: She never did this - though, of course, we have the graphic novel now.)

The war had slashed this kingdom with sharp talons.
Tui: This was one comment I got from my writing group that was so helpful - they wanted to see more of the damage the war had done, and how awful it was, so we'd really feel what the dragonets were fighting for. My natural tendency is to avoid darkness (truly, I swear!), so I challenge myself to do scenes like this throughout the series that (hopefully) illustrate how awful it's been, and how much they need the dragonets to come stop the war.

"Because I don't want you to die before I kill you," [Peril] said.
Tui: Peril! She's so crazy. (Which is what makes her fun to write!) Wait until you get inside her head in book 8...you'll see all kinds of layers to this craziness.

"The most blazing thing will be fighting the NightWing, though. Nobody's ever seen anything like that."
Tui: The NightWings have done a good job of hiding and keeping themselves Mysterious and Unknowable, up until now. This is supposed to be pretty ironic - the fact that everyone's excited to see how a NightWing fights, when really poor Starflight is the worst fighter of them all.

"Ask him to teach you something - like how the dragons took Pyrrhia from the scavengers during the Scorching."
Tui: I love to read books about writing, and I remember one of them talked about how new fantasy worlds should have a sense of history, of Lots of Stuff Happening Before. I loved that idea, so I thought and thought about it and came up with the Scorching, which was a big cataclysmic event thousands of years ago that changed everything about the dragon tribes, queens, and dragon-human relations. I won't say more than that in case I get to write about it one day!

"Have you been living under a rock, or something?"
Tui: Why yes, exactly.

Her head kept turning toward the largest rock balcony, which jutted out of a cave overlooking the arena.
Tui: Watching for Queen Scarlet - among Peril's many issues is a deep, desperate need to please the queen, who has been the closest thing to a mother to her.

Art! Clay thought furiously. As if Glory's nothing more than a tapestry to hang on the wall, not a dragon with feelings and ideas and a destiny and friends who care about her.
Tui: I thought this would be kind of an interesting reveal - Glory has never been valued or cared about at all, and now suddenly she's this prized possession that Scarlet is so proud of. But she's still being wildly underestimated, because all Scarlet can see is her astonishing color-changing scales. Like the guardians, Scarlet has put Glory immediately into a box in her head and can't imagine her outside of it...the only difference is that this time it's a much shinier box. So in a way, Glory has moved up in the world (the only one of the five dragonets whose life is actually better, more or less.) But it's certainly not in a way she would want, since she's such a smart and ambitious dragon on the inside, and she still wants to be really seen for who she actually is.

Chapter 15

Peril stalked slowly toward him, tilting her copper wings to reflect the sunlight. Her long tail snaked across the sand. It looked like smoke was rising from her scales.
Tui: It's funny because battles scenes are not my favorite thing to write...I'm very anti-violence myself (I swear!), and I would much rather be writing pages and pages of charming dialogue. (Seriously, if my books could be entirely characters having conversations, I'd be able to finish them much more quickly! But I think it's been good for my writing to have to force myself to go back and forth between talking and action scenes.) But in terms of the violence, this is a series about DRAGONS, for goodness' sakes, so I felt like high-stakes fight scenes had to be a part of the picture, the same way a cat series (hypothetically, if anyone can think of one of those!) has to have scenes of mouse hunting, or Watership Down (an amazing animal fantasy about rabbits!) had to deal with the fact that its heroes were prey for almost everything around them, so they're living in fear all the time. Dragons, on the other hand, are the dominant super-predators of this world, so unfortunately a lot of them do solve their problems with violence. (Which means lots of battle scenes for me to write!)

Horizon crouched, then suddenly leaped over Peril's head and fled to the other side of the arena. He didn't try to claw her or strike her on the way past; he didn't even lash out with his poisonous tail. He just ran away.
Tui: But to balance that out, I wanted to show how different our dragonet heroes are...they'd rather find a nonviolent solution if they can, and when they do have to hurt someone, there are consequences, and they learn and grow from how terrible they feel afterwards. Hopefully that comes across, anyway!

Starflight was good at maps and dates and facts and tests, but his claw-to-claw combat skills were tragic.
Tui: Something of an understatement. (And another thing Starflight and I have in common!)

• Posted at:

Clever, A Very Clever Guy

he/himintj-a extravagant nerd

loves that razzle dazzle aesthetic ☆

the city's sixth most important financial adviser

☆ #RedInstead ☆

poke

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

~Leopardus tigrinus~

poke

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

~Leopardus tigrinus~

poke

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

~Leopardus tigrinus~

poke

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

~Leopardus tigrinus~