Hi everyone!

I cannot even handle how much I love you guys – these forums are seriously a vortex of DISTRACTING WONDERFULNESS. I keep having to tear myself away or else Book Eight will never get written!

But I thought it would be fun to chat with you a little bit about Moon Rising. Have you all read it by now? If not, look away, because spoilers ahead! (Just for Book Six . . . well, OK, maybe I’ll give you a tiny spoiler for Book Seven at the end!)

I’ll start by giving you a big behind-the-scenes secret: When I first started writing Wings of Fire, I actually thought that the NightWings would really have no powers at all. I know! Not in the past, not in the future—no powers for you, sinister tribe! I was really interested in the idea of dragons who have manufactured their own story...whose entire mystique is just a big marketing plan created so that other tribes will see them as mysterious and powerful.

On the one hand, I thought that would be sort of unusual in a fantasy world, and therefore fun to write about. But mostly it was a character decision, and the entire point . . . was to torture poor Starflight.

Poor Starflight! I know. Always wondering why he doesn’t have any powers yet. What is he doing wrong? Will his tribe want him back when they realize he’s not what they want him to be? And of course, worrying about how he can possibly save the world when he thinks he’s so powerless/unheroic/afraid and the opposite of what a NightWing should be. (Maybe if I read some MORE SCROLLS I’ll be able to figure it out...) (Now there’s a dragon who needs a hug!)

In a way, the whole series is about expectations. Like, what would you do if the world was looking at you, waiting for you to save it? How do you live up to what your family thinks you should be? (Ahem, WINTER.) What happens if you’ve been taken away from your tribe—do you still turn out the way they expect, or could you be completely different from them? What are we born with? And how much can we make ourselves into the heroes we want to be? (That last one is going to be a big question for Book Eight, too!)

In Starflight’s case, the NightWings are so sure they’re awesome that they assume he’ll be just like them, no matter how he is raised. They believe their own propaganda. Morrowseer thinks NightWing dragonets just hatch with perfect self-assurance, confidence, leadership skills, etc.—but he also doesn’t trust them to keep secrets. So nobody bothers to teach Starflight any of the stuff he needs to know to be a “true NightWing.”

Which is why he turns out so differently—and manages to change the world, by being such a different kind of NightWing.

(Speaking of NightWings, I hope you’re all excited for PRISONERS! If you ever wanted to see a little more of what life was like in the NightWing tribe, and especially if you’re curious about Fierceteeth and Strongwings, then this is the story for you!)

So the NightWing powers being fake was important to Starflight’s character development—and, of course, I wanted the prophecy to be false as well. Because what happens when you think there’s a map for your life, and it turns out somebody just made it up? Especially when you liked that map? (Poor Sunny!)

I personally believe that we can change our fate; I’m ALL about free will! I don’t like to write stories where someone is stuck on a path and can never get off. I want my characters to grab destiny and shape it themselves. That was a really essential part of the first five books, for me.

But the more I wrote about this world, the more I wanted the NightWing powers to be real. And honestly, reading your reactions made me feel that way, too! I read so many great comments and fan letters that were excited about NightWing powers that I ended up imagining all kinds of stories where the powers were real...and then I started figuring out how they could be real...and why they weren’t anymore...and how to get them back...hmmmmm...

So by the time I started writing Book Four, the whole NightWing backstory you see in Book Six was forming in my head. I knew the tribe was hiding on this island for a reason (although I didn’t know his name until Book Five). I also knew the volcano had messed with their powers and was starting to slowly kill them off.

And most of all, I knew I wanted to write about a NightWing who DID have those powers. So when we started talking about books 6-10, that was my first thought. Books 1-5 are about a fake prophecy that everyone believes in. What if books 6-10 were about a true prophecy that nobody believes?

One of the hardest parts about planning books 6-10 was deciding what order these new characters would go in. I actually kind of wanted Book Six to be an IceWing, because we haven’t seen much of them, and I wanted a dragon from a new tribe as the hero.

But when I tried to plan it, I realized the very first thing you need to know for this new set of books is that Moon’s prophecy is real. And I wasn’t sure that Winter would believe her. And then I realized we needed to meet Darkstalker, and there wasn’t a good way to do that through Winter. So in the end, that’s why Moon got Book Six, and our shiny IceWing Winter got Book Seven. Oooo, I hope you like Winter Turning! I’m pretty excited about it!

One of the other things I’ve known about this world for a long time is that the NightWings and IceWings have hated each other for thousands of years . . . but I didn’t know exactly why at first. I definitely know why now, though—and you will, too, once you read Book Seven! It’s very tragic and tortured. Yay! ;-)

Anyway, I could talk FOREVER about all the thinking-thoughts that went into Book Six, but I’ll stop myself here! What do you guys want to know? Any thoughts or questions about Moon Rising? You can try asking about Winter Turning, too, but I am going to try to restrain myself from giving you too many spoilers (because I am terrible and would like to tell you the entire plot right now!).

Thank you all again for being the best, smartest, most fascinating readers in the world!

Tui :)

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

who will be the main character of book 8.i hope its peril as skywings are my fave and there hasnt been a book about a skywing yet.(peril is sooo cool!)

• Posted at:

*Yellow*

~Witchbook's BFF!~

the secret of the shifting sands/152424

Tui, you're so awesome :3

• Posted at:

Clever, A Very Clevery Guy ❤❤❤

[exits, pursued by a bear]

bringing you cool good posts: Dec. 2014 - March 2019

appreciating and supporting you: today - forever!!!!

FINALLY! We get to know what happened in that big brain of yours when you decided what to do for the second ark! And i am INCREDIBLY excited for the info on the IceWing/NightWing tragedy. June is only three months and then, BOOM Winter Turning :3 ~Pigeon

• Posted at:

Just shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. -Les Brown

Stars can't shine without darkness*

Doubt kills more than failure ever will*

*I don't know where these are from. Found them on Google.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TUI FOR YOUR SPLENDFEROUSLY AMAZINGLY AWESOMESAUCE BOOKS!!

And Joy and Phil, your covers are OFFICIALLY the best thing I have ever seen.

Okay, now for a suggestion. What if you did 15 books of WoF??!! Okay, so there would be two SeaWing protagonists, two SkyWing protagonists, and so on and so on. That would make 14 books if you wrote about all the seven tribes, BUT the 15th book would be the epic finale/boss battle(s)!! But how would you fit 14 dragons on one cover..... I LOVE U TUI!!

P.S. I met you in Oceanside!!

• Posted at:

~-EMERALD-~

Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than the silence

Omigosh, I love hearing about people's writing processes, especially when it's one of my top 5 authors! And Wings of Fire! SO FASCINATINGLY WONDERFUL! 

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Queen of Non SequiturBookwyrmsPangolinsand Bones

Trash Squad, WerewolfGASTER FOLLOWER

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

WoFMBer Dec. 2014-Mar. 2019

Hearing about the writing process is so cool  So here's one question: Is the Brightest Night always on a certain day or in a certain time of year, or is it different every time?

• Posted at:

Call me Delta!

FanWing since book three, hoping to make some sort of impact on the WoF fandom through art ^<^

NightWing fan but a RainWing at heart.

#BRITISHICEWINGS2K17

Okay, now I have a question: Do dragons have a lot of fiction scrolls? Like, dragon fandoms (if you know what those are)? Because I think that would be really cool if they did.

• Posted at:

Clever, A Very Clevery Guy ❤❤❤

[exits, pursued by a bear]

bringing you cool good posts: Dec. 2014 - March 2019

appreciating and supporting you: today - forever!!!!

Oh, my gosh. This is awesome. I cannot wait for Winter Turning. It's going to be the best book every!!

• Posted at:

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination

-Jimmy Dean

And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow

-Gilbert K. Chesterton

Wow, I have been reading your books for a long time and they are awesome! I can't wait for book seven to come out! Out of my top 5 favorite authors, you are #1. Dragons Rule!

I'm Hungry.

• Posted at:

Hi :)

For anyone who asks, it has actually been confirmed that Peril is the SkyWing.

• Posted at:

My OCs:

Splash, Mud-lilly, Blast, Shard, Clay II, Blaze, Scrollreader, Ash, Marsh, Birch, Sunbeam, Blizzard, Starlight, Snowflake, Cinnamon, Violet, Sidewinder, Cactus, Reed, Pearl, Threstal, Allure, Lagoon, Kirlia, Paradise, Blackice

CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT WHY THE ICEWINGS AND NIGHTWINGS HATE EACHOTHER!!!!!!! Yes so epic!

• Posted at:

you got no jams

Tui, I love your brain.

Sorry, I had to say it! I was wondering...HOW MANY ICEWINGS WILL WE MEET IN WINTER TURNING? You can tell by my username, IceWings are my favorite! They're just too awesome!

Will Peril be in the Jade Winglet, now that Carnelian is dead?

BTW.

CARNELIAN'S GHOST SHOULD TOTALLY BE FRIENDS WITH STONEMOVER! LIKE, THE ONLY THING HE HAS TO TALK TO!

YUS!

• Posted at:

I am ICE and also PTARMIGAN IS MY OTHER SIDE

OWNER OF THE FORUM LIMO

QUEEN OF THE OCS AND LIMOUSINES

WIFE OF CHAT NOIR

WHY, YES, I DID USE COLOR FADE THANKS FOR NOTICING

Blancbeetle + Kitbeetle = OTP 4 LIFE

Make a new tribe that want to rule over the world. These dragons could be named the DeadWings they could have a tragic back-story, anyways Tourmaline could always be a DEADWING! I really don't care...(Tourmaline is in the other posts) IT WOULD BE AN HONOR IF MY DRAGON~TOURMALINE AND THE TIBE THE DEADWINGS WOULD ENTER YOUR BOOKS! Thank you for making these awesome books, it would be an honor if you were to read this book. Thank you

• Posted at:

I can't wait for Winter Turning!

• Posted at:

Twilight

I know I did the right thing, but no one will ever understand! -Hollyleaf

Hollyleaf + Ivypool = Awesomeness!

Can you trust anyone? 

SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG FAN

Proud Slytherclaw

Is it true that all the tribes have wing membranes connected to their underbellies?

Can you give a hint on who is working for Queen Scarlet?

~Theorycrafter the NightWing

• Posted at:

Nightfalcon/Ashstorm/Theorycrafter/Echoblaze/Doormat

Alclone troopersChewieR2BB-8HachikoCliffWRBYRavenBeastBoyKidFlashSherVaghYukiWhisperNagualOCs

#StandWithSeaWorld

Christian

Shipsinker (red)

#SavetheSouthernResidents

I you write a book from Deathbringer's point of view you might be able to reveal NightWing secrets.

• Posted at:

Book Nerd 100%

I love STAR WARS

My favorite author is Rick Riordan. I read everything he wrote.

i like NightWings.

• Posted at:

"Rise, Red As The Dawn"-Red Queen

Demi-God Daughter of Zeus,lord of the sky.

NewBlood(Red Queen)

Hunter Of Artemis (im not Thalia.)

@YellowParakeet: The main Character will be Peril

• Posted at:

Das  God Of Animals. DINOSAURS!

Clay, Tsunami, Glory, Sunny, StarflightPeril, Winter,Firestar Conor Meilin Rollan Tris Four Leashed pack Sweet Lucky Indominus Rex Hawkeye Black Widow

Wesen

Mudwing/Seawing

SAMB Law Enforcement(Cause we need one)

I CANT BELIEVE IT I WUZ WAITING SO LONG!!! FINNALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Tui you and your imagination are amazing!!!!!! I am getting goosebumps I'm so exited about Winters Turning, and to learn why the icewings and nightwings hate each other, I've bin puzzling of that for a while.

Thank You for writing you amazing books!!!!

• Posted at:

my only question is PLEASE GIVE A EARLY 

• Posted at:

-Penguin- or -Tanto-

"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."

"If plan A didn't work, don't worry the alphabet has 25 more letters!"

#Rember The Fallen

-coppy (that is not really a question)

• Posted at:

-Penguin- or -Tanto-

"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."

"If plan A didn't work, don't worry the alphabet has 25 more letters!"

#Rember The Fallen

That is awesome!!!!!!! I will have to fores my parents to buy me MOON RISING indeed. Thanks for telling me, it was awesome.

puppyblue972

• Posted at:

Alicia and Dane: Cake Pop Crush

Lise and Raj: Macrons at Midnight

Emery and Alex: hot Cocoa Hearts

Tessa and Asher: You're Bacon Me Crazy

Sheyda and Cabe: Donut Go Breaking My Heart

Cecilia and Eric: Sit, Stay, Love

THE LOVEBIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Omg I'm soo, ecited!!!!! tui (if you see this) your my favorite author!

• Posted at:

Emily 

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! This will be SO EPIC! I know I've already said this but I CANNOT WAIT EEEEEE I AM SICK OF WAITING! I MUST KNOOOOOOOW!

• Posted at:

you got no jams

i love peril book 8 will ne awsome then

• Posted at:

*Yellow*

~Witchbook's BFF!~

hello my name is william and like the wings of fire and i can't wait until you finish  Winter Turning because i just read moon rising and it ended at a Cliff hanger 

• Posted at:

willow;book 1 is best

pearl;no way!book 2 is

vanity;youre both mistaken book 3 is

darkthought;seriously?book 4 is way bettercacti;*hisses*the brightest night is the best book

moonwatcher;uur....book 6 is the best

me;stop it and how in earth did moon come here?

• Posted at:

*Yellow*

~Witchbook's BFF!~

I can't wait for Winter Turning!  I love all of the plot twists and secrets in your books--there's always something new and exciting around every turn!

But as much as I'm interested in NightWing and IceWing history, I'd love to hear more about the RainWing's past!  It's been hinted by Grandeur that they once used their camoflage-scales to hide from enemies.  RainWing wars?  Yes, please!

• Posted at:

Heeeeere's Genny~!

I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SKYWINGS! They have no special things! 

Nightwings=Powers

Icewings=Frostbreath

Seawings=Breathing Underwater

Sandwings=Barbed tails

Mudwings=Sibling groups + Blood-red eggs

Rainwings= Venom + Camouflage scales

Skywings= ???? WHAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOOOOOOOOVE you Tui! You wrote my favorite series WARRIOR CATS and WINGS OF FIRE! Like how do you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so wish i could meet you! You should make something kind of like Dawn of The Clans(in Warrior cats) But this time make it The Scorching(In Wings of fire)

• Posted at:

Volcano Star Nightwing

Pine Earth Mudwing

Freeze Icewing

Flare Ember Skywing,

Prickle Sandwing

Shine Rainwing

Ocean RipSplash Seawing

Oh my 7 characters are comin,

Comin to ruin RP's that are runin,

They will come for you soon,

so watch out for my goons!

I can't wait for book seven to come out!

• Posted at:

I am so excited to read prisoners! but i don't have a nook or a kindle or anything! :( is there any other way for me to read them!?!?!?

also, is there going to be a book from another sandwing point of view? they are my favorite dragons! :)

• Posted at:

Greencloaks forever! 

Slytherin

FireClan; Rainpool

Dauntless

Crazy cat lady.....

Icewing!

Daughter of Hades

Sith Lord

District 12

Time Lord....

Pegasister

Leo

Errrrr... Smartwolf?

Tui didn't write warriors.  She helped write three books of the seekers series.

• Posted at:

It’s the hydra fellow

#furryrightsactivist

#endpitbullracism

#blicket

“Boi” is a gender neutral term

star count:  14400 (+589)

page count:  242

well she is still part of the Erin Hunter Team!

• Posted at:

Volcano Star Nightwing

Pine Earth Mudwing

Freeze Icewing

Flare Ember Skywing,

Prickle Sandwing

Shine Rainwing

Ocean RipSplash Seawing

Oh my 7 characters are comin,

Comin to ruin RP's that are runin,

They will come for you soon,

so watch out for my goons!

EIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCITED!

• Posted at:

Kitten.

Been here for four years? Almost?

Cleril is a fruit

"EAT THE BURGER"-Dream Darkstalker 2016

first to star and post

• Posted at:

*Yellow*

~Witchbook's BFF!~

I have been unable to read Moon Rising, but I don't care about spoilers so, well, you know. A SkyWing POV would be pretty cool for book 8. I am happy to finally have an IceWing POV (I mean, really, Nighties get TWO and the best tribe ever doesn't get any?! No, I'm not a NightWing person. I always knew they were shifty little creatures...) Or like, a REAL full-blood SandWing POV. No offense to Sunny, but she's a hyrbid (which I'm kinda like a Tigerstar *warriors!* when it comes to hybrids because I think they're a terrible mix up in the blood of the tribes. I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, but that's really what I think!) Or, maybe to get me on the track of

• Posted at:

I'm sorry if my OCs annoy you.

Diamond: No you're not! 

DiamondBraveryValorAlexandriteFireweedFennecObsidianDragonfruitAquamarine...

And more!

Pubu (Purple--that's me-- x Jambu)

Diamond's Backstory Fanfic: /139707

silversky97 is my best friend!!!

For book 8, if you're still writing it, there are a few things I hope will happen.

First, let us see more of the SkyWing kingdom, if it's from Peril's point of view. What is life like for the SkyWings who live more on the outskirts of the kingdom - there has to be more of them than the ones in the arena! Are there some others who live like Osprey did?

Also, could we see a non-grumpy, non-angry SkyWing in  a major role, similar to how we've seen lon-lazy RainWings and non-arrogant/lying NightWings. 

And hopefully we'll be able to finally see queen Ruby. Please don't make her another Scarlet, she seems like too interesting character to turn out to just be a villian - seeking peace and being forgiving (Clay implied she was, of everyone but Peril, yet also attacking the Summer Palace? I would love it if you had a set-up where Ruby was trying to kill Peril for the perfectly legitimate reasons of being a murderer who threatened the whole kingdom by freeing Scarlet when she decided to just exile her rather than kill her. It would be interesting to have something like that, where the antagonist isn't really evil. 

And Vermillion, will we get to see him again also! In particular, I wonder if he had a correspondence with Smolder besides that one letter we saw - as the brothers and sons of royalty who have served cruel relatives to spare their own lives (given the punishment for Osprey giving too good a defense argument, I imagine Vermillion would get killed for defying Scarlet in any way as well). If so, does Vermillion know that Scarlet is alive? Has he told Ruby about this? That could be an interesting plot point.

And as for book 9 - I hope we can get more in-depth info on the SeaWings, and apparently something tragic - another SeaWing massacre? The first time a major character on the side of the protagonists dies? I am actually especially looking forward to this book based on what I've heard of it. And it would be interesting to learn more about the aftermath of the Summer Palace raid. did any of the dragons we saw in book 2 die (like Shark, who was in the middle of the fighting, or Moray, who would have probably defended Coral to death). Did Blister try to win her back by sending a message about the NightWings? Did the Burn's army claim that they knew the Deep Palace location and would attack it as well if she didn't leave the war (otherwise, the loss of the SP wasn't that crippling a blow. If so, was it one of the Moorhen, who like with the IceWing thwarted attack, wanted the war to end? By Crocodile? By Ruby or one sent by her, considering she seemed to only participate in battles that the MudWings believed was necessary for their survival (trying to make up for Scarlet's neglect)? Will Anemone end up overusing her powers in order to get the SeaWings back to their forer glory, repeating Albatross' mistakes? 

Book 10: We must find out how the Eye of Onyx works, and its backstory! There is probably something we're missing - why did Blister not expect to die, considering she knew what it does? Does it only accept a queen's killers, or anyone permitted to touch it by those killers? Maybe Blister thought she would be considered Oasis' killer, but FLOWER was, and she gave it to Smolder, who gave it to Sunny, who gave it to Thorn. What is Onyx' story? What is it like for Thorn being a new queen, and what are her relations with the IceWings (Glacier certainly thinks it's better than Blister being queen). And if the eye really works the way I think it does, then will Thorn have to choose between completely changing the line of succession, risking another civil war, or getting Stonemover to brainwash Sunny into killing her?  Especially if Onyx wants to kill her, too... 

I love your books! I would love if there could be books describing the history of all of the tribes and such, and laws, customs, etc. 

And some questions about the dragons' powers and societies: - Do SkyWings have a higher cold resistance than the limited ones NightWings have? After all, a lot of their territory is as cold as the IceWings' and higher elevation. While we're still talking about SkyWings (who seem to have comparatively vague powers), if biting is part of SkyWing strategy according  to Clay, do they have stronger bites? Do MudWings with fire resistance have pain resistance increased the more constant exposure to mud, beyond the automatic healing (after all, after mud Clay felt no pain from touching Peril, though after a while he did feel some pain...). What exaclty causes the blood-red eggs, something to do with the moons (if the NightWings could predict it). What is exactly the story behind NightWing science, and what are the NightWings doing with their scientific discoveries in the RainWing village? Sharing it? Refusing to share it? Making sectret creations with it, some perhaps to kill Glory? Did RainWings and MudWings have a conflict during Grandeur's time? How exactly were the SeaWings able to kill Albatross with a spear - do they have some sort of anti-animus weaponry? Do MudWings in general focus on farming (perhaps due to having so many siblings and, if Clay and Ochre are any indication, eating a lot).

And is Ochre Clay's cousin (how many MudWing talons are there anyway?) What about his siblings? Will we see the talons again? What happened to Nautilus and Squid? 

I have so many questions...

• Posted at:

PLEASE ADD A NEW TRIBE TUI!!!!! It could be like a thunderwing or stormwing

• Posted at:

Call me "Sketch"

I Am:

A Fanwing

A pokemon trainer

A beyblader

A Christian:)

A Rider from berk!

I Don't agree with LGTB but, I don't dislike or hate anyone who does.

A champion of the Ferrum League! 

Joined Feb. 2 2015

1 , , 3 ... 9 , 10 , 11