Welcome to "Oops?", an Umbli fanfic! The basis to this AU is that almost all dragons have word(s) printed somewhere on their body from the day they were born. These words are the first words your soulmate will say to you, and are written in their handwriting.

Chapter One: What Fell Before They Did

Qibli glared at his jaw in the puddle. The SeaWings had some very fine puddles around the sea shore. The backwords "What?" was scrawled in a questionable manner. The "w" wasn't even uppercased, and the black letter didn't end before it went into the "h", "a", "t," and question mark.

Qibli decided a long time ago he did not like his soulmark. Those words belonged to someone who was messy and he did not want to spend his entire life with them. He decided to rid the thoughts of soulmates and soulmarks as he continued his mission - to deliver a box of gems back to Thorn. He grabbed the wooden box and lifted into the blue sky.

But, now that he had thought about his soulmate, he couldn't stop.

Is it possible to never meet your soulmate? the SandWing pondered, tightening his hold on the box. What if he never did? He'd already met two dragons who said his soulmark to him - a NightWing named Moonwatcher and an IceWing named Winter, but Moon's soulmark was still a mystery and Winter's was "Your scales are so shiny!" The NightWing hadn't been comfortable sharing her soulmark, which was totally fine, but she promised it wasn't Qibli. Winter, on the other hand, grudingly proved that Qibli was not his soulmate by showing the messy words on the base of his neck. Winter had said he wasn't exactly looking forward to meeting his soulmate.

Qibli had laughed at the IceWing. In fact, they were still some sort of friends, and if Winter were a girl, he would be completely fine with Winter as his soulmate.

Qibli's stomach clenched. Same-gender relationships were unheard of in Pyrrhia - he was certain if the universe decided that two guys or girls were soulmates, genders wouldn't stop anything, but he hadn't encountered anyone like that.

Qibli knew it was rather lame and needy of him to worry so much about his soulmate. He'd asked Thorn about it, worried that at this point (He was five, shouldn't he already have found the love of his life?!) he'd be alone, and she'd told him to not worry about it.

The SandWing hefted the crate up higher in his talons, gripping it with his claws rather than his talons.

But still.... What if? What if he'd never meet them? It was a thought that often nagged at him, and he didn't think it would leave soon.

Qibli felt wind pushing his wings at a different, more erratic interval, and a loud noise from in front of him. His head snapped up, eyes wide, pupils dilating as he swerved to the side. Narrowly, he avoided the flock of large white birds rushing towards him.

Unfourtunatley, he didn't notice the box slipping out of his talons until he heard an undignified squeak from below.

This was something he'd leave out of his report...

Umber felt something hard crash into his head, and immediately he fell, letting out a rather shameful squeak. The MudWing gasped for air in an oddly grotesque way. Sharp needle points fell onto his back, and he grimaced each time a new one pierced his scales.

Umber had just been trying to get something to eat, but of course, that didn't stop the box from falling from the sky and thwomping him on the head.

He did not make that squeak. He didn't. At least, that's what he would tell you.

But, in time, Umber wouldn't be embarrassed to tell others of what happened next. In time...

He opened his eyes, black spots swirling and twirling through his vision. Then there was was a yellow blob.

Well, more of a pale golden SandWing-ish yellow blob.

Umber pushed himself to his talons, shaking his body and flaring his wings, pushing off the splinters of broken box and the shiny rocks. A few of them were broken or scratched. Oops, he thought, not actually very sorry at all. The dragon already knew there would be a bruise tomorrow.

A talon stepped toward him, of the same calming yellow. His eyes traced up the leg towards a blinking SandWing, whose gaze was cast ruefully downwards at the gems.

Umber let out a sigh of content without meaning to. That's what you get for dropping your box of jewels on my face, you smokebreather.

"You look like something just fell on you," the SandWing remarked a moment later, not aware of what he had just done.

Umber felt his talons clench, his wings lock, and his eyes go wide. A bolt of electricity shot down his spine, and those small, shaky words written on his left wing burned painfully. He opened his mouth numbly, trying to think of the right words to say.

"What?" was his dumb whisper.

In Umber's defence, how were you supposed to react when you've met your soulmate?

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

icarus

she/they

~

we rest in an unvisited tomb

I'm trying not to scream right now because Umbli is OTP and I thought no one would ever right a fanfic about this but you guys did so star for you and just AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SO HAPPY

• Posted at:

०EVERGREEN०

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."

WHALED IT

[ PROUD H U F F L E C L A W ]

#AllHailSamTheBird #AllLoveIsEqual

#MudWingsWantLove #EverydayI'mHufflin'

#LikeAGirl #RememberTheLost

Thanks Evergreen! We shall probably get some awkward times in the next chapter XD

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

Awe, thank you!! 

I'm trying not to squeal because COMPLIMENTS

And yeeees... //you can't see it but I am totally tapping my fingers together evilly to plan for upcoming floof//

• Posted at:

Xanii

Oft described as a dumpster but, like, with legs. Cool legs, though.

Abandoned Post: May 21, 2017

hi my name is Dizhbb and im your favorite moment from newsies obc

Discord Squad

Mayhaps Steve is everyone's true mom?

YES. JUST YES.

• Posted at:

- legend -

but just leg works too

what screws us up the most in life

is the picture in our heads

of what it's supposed to look like

I ship Moonbli but have nothing against this. I'm actually curious to see where this goes :)

• Posted at:

Call me Cunning

I'm female

Reading this white ink fills you with DETER-*whacks* No. Staph. Overused Undertale joke. 

My ships:

Moonbli

Pertle

Clunny

Starspeaker

Glorybringer

Ripnami

Lynter

#MoonDeservesBetterThanWinter

@Legend yes indeedy, let the Umbli reign over your heart and soul >:D

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

@Cunning YAY! I personally love soulmark aus and well I love Umbli and well Xanii did too. BE READY FOR FLUFF, MINOR ANGST, AND MAJOR UMBLI. And some awkward comversations... like:

Winter: hey dude let's go to blah blah blah

Qibli: actually i kind of wanted to tell you-

Winter: tell me later lets go now

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

Bookmark 

• Posted at:

~Star~

They/them

Queen of Books, Sarcasm, and fandoms

an ace bi-lot

I is the Forum Fangirl! 

*Jedi mind trick* You will scroll down now...

I ship Moonbli, but this is still cool!

• Posted at:

~Star~

They/them

Queen of Books, Sarcasm, and fandoms

an ace bi-lot

I is the Forum Fangirl! 

*Jedi mind trick* You will scroll down now...

this is now my life fuel

i need more

• Posted at:

~Callisto~

qibli lover

winterwatcher shipper

blaze supporter

icewing and skywing obsesser

carnelian and viper are amaze

team sunnyflight

"After all, I have an IceWing warrior mystique I have to maintain."

Current Main OCs: Aridity, Finch

I don't ship same-gender ships, but this is actually interesting!

• Posted at:

~~~Pepperoni aka Pep~~~

Christian!

~INFP~ 

Wait... so #hashtag is a hashtag within a hashtag which would make it hashtagception? Mind blown.s

I still shiWinterwatcher

Sorta kinda obsessed with MIRACULOUS LADYBUG!!!

NOT EVEN REMOTELY ACTIVE!

Like Pep, I personally don't really like same-gender ships, but continue anyways! It's good!

• Posted at:

bluedolphin8423

CHRISTIAN!

^ These two have been and will be up here till the day we're gone.

LUPA 2647

February or July 2015 – March 2019

the forum nostalgia pile

remember the lost. that's what matters.

ClerilisaFRUIT

Toasteril

balegu

I am against the whole Umpil and the same gender ships without a second thought. this is a pretty good story. I would've preferred it not to have same gender ships but, it's okay. 

• Posted at:

Silver Dragoness   

"I don't go crazy, I am Crazy. I just go normal from time to time"

"It doesn't matter if you get a real Blue ribbon, what matters is the figurative Blue ribbon you get when you did better than the last time" - Me

Umbli is the only same-gender ship that I ship! I mean, in my opinion, Qibli's too smart for Moon, Winter just isn't right, and... well... have you READ MR?

• Posted at:

[Nightmare]

I'm fine. Are you?

Daily Song Quote"i've done all i can think of, chased down all my demons" -pink

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this SO MUCH!!!!!! Umbli wasn't one of my top ships before, BUT IT IS NOW! SQUEEEE! I never thought I'd see a same-gender fanfic get so popular! Great job, Pen!

• Posted at:

(\-TURTLE-/)

Hufflepuff  

LonSurvivor

INFP-T

Rider of Rohan

Dragonborn

Rainbow Pride

MayappleBarrenheartPrimroseBergiePitayaUmbrellaNuthatch

I'm glad everyone's being respectful - of course, we don't want to force you to read this, and if you don't like the couple, that's alright. Thanks for all the complimates, everyone :D

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

*hides* most of this chapter was Xanii don't forget to thank her!

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

*Pushes Pen into open* hahh no but Pen edited it, posted, had the idea, and started off the chapter with ideas so YEAH THAT WAS KINDA IMPORTANT DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT MAN

• Posted at:

Xanii

Discord Squad

Lol, Winter's soulmark…

This is awesome! Keep writing!

• Posted at:

-x-Flight-x-

“Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.”The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint Exupéry

#RememberTheLost

Chapter Two: Meeting and Cleaning

Qibli sighed, looking at the shards of jewels scattered on the ground. The dark brown and amber MudWing was hissing in pain, rubbing his head. Qibli took a step forward and cleared his throat. "You look like something just fell on you."

The MudWing went stiff and briefly, Qibli wondered if he'd done something wrong. The beginnings of a bruise were beginning to form just above the brown dragon's right eye. He barely caught the stricken whisper: "What?"

"Well, something did fall on you, are you alright?" Qibli asked, concerned now.

"What?" the MudWing whispered again, this time teeth gritted. It was then Qibli noticed the searing pain on his jaw and the crackling electric feeling that echoed across his back. He remembered now.

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"So... um... I'm Qibli, one of Queen Thorn's guards and workers," Qibli introduced, "And I'm very sorry I dropped a box of jewels on your head."

The MudWing stared at him skepticly. "Alright. I'm Umber and I feel like really, really hating you for not paying attention and dropping things on me but I won't because-" Qibli noticed the pause. He knew he wasn't meant to, but he did. "-you're my soulmate and hating each other would not work."

"Yeah. That's true," Qibli replied, thinking. So I have a male soulmate. I probably jinxed it or something.

Umber seemed to know what he was thinking. "I-I mean, we don't have to be romantic soulmates or anything, I'd be fine with that, but, uh - I'm making you uncomfortable, aren't I? I'm sorry."

"We'll see," Qibli answered, studying the sturdy MudWing. That was what he would've imagined for anyone who had the same gender as their soulmate, but could it be different? "You can accompany me back to Thorn's Stronghold and we can talk on the way there. But first... you're going to help me clean all this up." Umber sighed and nodded.

"Alright," the MudWing agreed, looking down at the shiny rocks, entering his own thoughts.

Umber had a history of being gay.

Umber was very, very gay.

Finding out his soulmate was a guy was probably the best thing that happened that day. And finding out Qibli wasn't going to be romantically invested was probably one of the worst.

The worst thing today was getting hit in the head with a crate of gems, if you were wondering.

Scooping up the damaged jewels was mildly painful, scraping the palms of his talons and all. But it was better than having them fall from the sky, and for that, Umber was grateful.

Umber cradled the crystals in his talons, lifting into the air, following after Qibli.

Qibli was staring at the ground quietly, and Umber saw his eyes flit around the scenery below.

Even if they were only going to be platonic and that would be disappointing, Umber still wanted to know his soulmate. The dragon who would be the biggest 'what-if' of his life...

The dark brown MudWing looked at Qibli, tracing the sharp diamonds on his back, the freckles on his snout, the scar interrupting them. He couldn't help it, Qibli was just so... lovely to look at.

"So, uh, Qibli..." but the words died in Umber's throat as the SandWing turned around and looked at him. His eyes were a brilliant shade of amber, and very, very, very pretty, Umber noted. "...You work for Queen Thorn?"

Qibli looked proud, grinning. "I don't just work for her. I'm her guard, her number-one dragon. She's amazing."

"Oh. I just live with my siblings..." Qibli seemed to recoil slightly at the word and Umber inwardly frowned. "Do you have any family?"

The pale golden SandWing's snout scrunched up and he glared at the ground. "A brother and sister. But I'm with Thorn now, and my friends. I don't need them."

Umber decided not to press the issue due to the sudden change in the mood of the conversation. "Well, I've got four. I'm the youngest. There's Sora, Marsh, Reed, Pheasant..." Umber did his best to swallow the bile in his throat, but the words still came out in a repressed whimper. "A-and there was Crane..."

"You okay?"

"Y-Yeah, it's just that Crane w-was..."

"You don't have to talk about it, Umber, I get it."

He looked to his talons, clenching them, trying to blink away the small tears in his eyes. Qibli was kind enough to not mention it again.

"Well, I've got some friends. I guess they're kind of like a family. Moonwatcher, who's a NightWing, and Winter, who's an IceWing. They're great, but Winter's so uptight." Qibli let out a bit of a laugh, and Umber couldn't help smiling at the happiness on his face. "But he's fun to tease. I mean - it was kind of funny since they both said my soulmark, but I didn't say theirs. Moon's super secretive and wouldn't even show me her soulmark, but it wasn't me, that's for sure. And, well, Winter's going to have one heck of a soulmate. Thorn's basically my mom, but I've already talked about her.

"Sometimes I think that Winter or Moon could've been my soulmate in another life. But, well, I guess that's you."

Qibli was grinning now, the pure happiness evident. Umber had the fleeting hope that Qibli could talk about him in the same eager, excited way he was talking right now to Winter and Moon.

But that wouldn't happen.

At least, not the way Umber wanted it to.

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

"Umber had a history of being gay.

Umber was very, very gay."

Well put Pen, that summed up what everyone thinks of Umber XD

• Posted at:

Call me Cunning

I'm female

Reading this white ink fills you with DETER-*whacks* No. Staph. Overused Undertale joke. 

My ships:

Moonbli

Pertle

Clunny

Starspeaker

Glorybringer

Ripnami

Lynter

#MoonDeservesBetterThanWinter

Omg bookmark

• Posted at:

♕ Queen ♕ 

poisonoussilverqueen on dA

KARKAT: REMEMBER PANTS TEREZI?? YOU USED TO LOVE PANTS!

그냥 살아도 돼 우린 젊기에그 말하는 넌 뭔 수저길래[랩/제] 수저수저 거려 난 사람인데

|-/

//she/they sarcastic asian artist//

@Cunning 

Best line of 2016 woot woot 10/10 would read again

• Posted at:

Xanii

Discord Squad

@Cunning Well,  it's TRUE! xD

and btw yes i did read that thing in your sig. very white ink. much wow.

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

nudge

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

Okay, you want to know what just happened? I was reading this, and then I decided I was in the mood to draw, and so I started mindlessly doodling. Then you know what happened? I CAUGHT MYSELF DRAWING UMBLI FANART GOSH DARN YOU.

• Posted at:

- legend -

but just leg works too

what screws us up the most in life

is the picture in our heads

of what it's supposed to look like

yes

let the umbli work its way into your soul

let it take over

submit to the umbli

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

MwaHAHAHAHAHAHASDFGHJKL

Accept Umbli Into your heart or something 

• Posted at:

Xanii

Discord Squad

I actually ship Qibliwatcher very strongly, but this is an amazing fanfic and I will not stop reading it just because our opinions differ.

• Posted at:

flicker

he/she/they

this place has really gone downhill

bye again lol

we're going to brutally murder your feels with the next few chapters.

cause angst-fluff combos are A+

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

Umber is lost

• Posted at:

♕ Queen ♕ 

|-/

This is the most beautiful fanfic I've ever seen

• Posted at:

~Accipiter~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

thanks everyone!! The next chapter will be up today!

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

Yessss!

• Posted at:

♕ Queen ♕ 

|-/

Chapter 3: Just Friends

Alt. Title: He's just Umbro

"Umber!" came the familiar voice of a certain SandWing. Qibli's pale amber eyes were inches from Umber's own.

Umber blearily opened his eyes and jumped, banging his head against Qibli's. "Hey! That hurt!" Qibli groaned, rubbing his forehead with a talon.

"Payback," Umber huffed. He had spent the past eleven days hanging out with Qibli. Deciding he would send a letter home so his siblings wouldn't worry about him, Umber had crashed at the SandWing Stronghold, where Qibli lived.

Although, they had come to an unspoken agreement to not tell anyone about being soulmates - they had a feeling it would make it unreasonably uncomfortable, always explaining to new dragons and all. So Umber was just Qibli's friend and it was left at that.

Qibli shook himself out and stretched out his wings. "I made plans for you to meet Moon and Winter. Moon's going to bring one of her friends."

Umber tilted his head. "Winter better prepare his shiny scales, then. I'll need something to block my eyes, though. I don't want to go blind."

"Ha, ha, very funny, Umber," Qibli snorted. He was usually the one to make sarcastic comments, and Umber had adapted to the playful banter. "Now, seriously, Moon said she would be there early and we need to leave."

Umber sighed and stood up. "Alright. Let's get going. Here's to Miss Mysterious and Mister Shiny."

Qibli grinned. "I'm going to tell them you call them that."

"What? No! Don't!"

The morning air was more chilled than usual, but Umber welcomed the cool air into his lungs. It was better than the usual heat that scorched the desert. The silence was comfortable, but Umber wanted to let a thousand words spill from his mind. So, the MudWing kept his mouth shut and enjoyed the peaceful wind rushing by his ears and the slow wingbeats every once in a while.

"Qibli!" Moonwatcher called, waving a talon as the aforementioned SandWing and Umber landed on the meeting place - a mountain called Jade Mountain. Qibli smiled and gave the NightWing a friendly hug.

"This is my friend, Umber," Qibli introduced for him. Umber smiled lightly, eyes turning towards the smaller dragon beside Moon. She was a RainWing, but at the moment, her scales fizzled from yellow to rosy pink, with splashes of pale blue around her face.

Moon nodded to Umber and then said, "This is Kinkajou. She wanted to meet some of my friends, so I let her come."

Kinkajou beamed, the pale blue being overtaken by pink and yellow. "Hi! It's super nice to met and and - hey! Someone else!" Qibli turned to look behind him, seeing the white and icy blue dragon land.

"Hey, Winter," Qibli greeted, grinning in a mischievous way. "I brought this big guy - his name is Umber." Qibli gave Umber a side hug with a wing and Umber went stiff, trying to push away the blush that crawled over his face.

Kinkajou's scales blossomed pink and magenta, each color appearing and taking over the other. Her legs bubbled into bright yellowy rose. 

Moon let out a laugh, following Kinkajou's awestruck gaze to Winter, who seemed to be internally scoffing - was probably thinking something along the lines of RainWings can't hide anything.

Kinkajou bouncing on her talons toward Winter, her face coming much too close to Winter's face, "Your scales are shiny!" she announced, still beaming.

"Your scales are undignified," Winter huffed, rolling his eyes haughtily before freezing. His talon reached for his neck, covering it as he stuttered in a way that was itself quite undignified.

Kinkajou let out a gasp and a giggle. "Woah!" she smiled wide, "Moon, that's what my nose says, right?!"

Moon nodded, and Kinkajou gasped again. "My soulmate is so sparkly!" She jumped at Winter, throwing her wings over him.

Winter was shaking, his scales felt warm and cold all at once. The look on his face was enough to know he did not like being hugged. It was unnatural.

There was a little voice that told him he felt warm needed to be frozen to death immediately. It was not okay. What would his parents think?! A non-IceWing soulmate, and a RainWing no less?!

But Winter brought his wings up and carefully patted them onto Kinkajou. 

Qibli couldn't contain his laughter, "Aww, Winter's so cute with his new soulmate."

And Umber thought, Qibli's pretty cute. Not with me, though. Apparently.

He didn't catch the concerned look Moon gave him, but heard her speak up. "Well, we have soulmates to celebrate!"

Soulmates to celebrate... Umber sent a sideways glance to Qibli, who was looking right back at him, a playful glint in his eyes.

The friends did celebrate by catching a deer and collecting fruit (for Kinkajou). It wasn't exactly a feast, but it was fun and Umber was glad Qibli took him with him.

After the others left, the last of the sun was just disappearing. Qibli turned to Umber, all joking gone from his expression, his lovely, amazing eyes piercing through Umber.

Over the last two weeks, Umber had imagined Qibli and himself being in love with each other. The fairytale way, where Qibli would realize how silly it was to be friends, and that Umber was just handsome and he couldn't bear them being apart. He'd imagined it just like this. Qibli would turn to him, and would say 'Umber, it's been amazing, this last week. I know how you feel, and I feel the same.'

Qibli opened his mouth, and instead, he said: "Umber, we need to talk."

"Talk?" Umber asked, mouth suddenly dry.

Qibli sighed. "About being soulmates."

"...Oh. Yeah, alright. What about it?" Umber was dreading whatever Qibli was about to say.

"Just hear me out, alright?" Qibli asked, not meeting Umber's worried gaze. He took the silence as a yes and continued. "I know how you feel about me but I just can't feel the same."

Umber swallowed his will to cry.

"I just - I don't want to be leading you on into a false hope or something, alright? So we're just friends. We won't be anything more than friends."

Umber dug his talons into the ground. "Sure. We're just friends." Maybe one day... no. No, Umber. Just stop thinking like that and stop doing it forever.

• Posted at:

Xanii

Discord Squad

Certainly not a bad story. Although I personally am not fond of same-gender ships. 

• Posted at:

<|RUBY SKY|>

-Your local Lord of Overprotectiveness!

Don't fight what you hate. Save what you love.

Queen of Strawberries and Unknown Words!

Maybe I dreamt you...

-there's so much more-

#SafeAsLife

#RememberTheLost

#HufflepuffPride

#PrideForAll

Bye!

My general rule of thumb is that I hate all WoF fanfiction with all of my being, but this fanfiction is the exception to that rule.  Great job.

• Posted at:

Sparrow

Daughter of Apollo

Ravenclaw

Queen of Netflix

"You need inspiration?  Suck it up cupcakes and go save the world"

Life's a mystery

And then people die

And all you can do about it

Is cry

Dearest Mods, please let everything I send pass

Yay! We shall get some angsty fluff in the next chapter :D

• Posted at:

icarus

she/they

~

Umber got rejected owo

I love this! Can't wait for the next chapter!

• Posted at:

~Accipiter~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

1 , , 3 , 4