((Hey guys, I've had the idea for this WoF fanfiction for a while now and can't get rid of it, so I decided to go ahead and work on it. Comments and constructive feedback are welcome :) I might end up re doing this story in the future, so feel free to throw questions at me, those questions may influence any future drafts of this story.))

Prologue, Part 1:

There was barely any light on the forest floor at night. Nightwings like Deathbringer could pick out the smallest traces of light and make use of them, illuminating the midnight world in a way other dragons could not experience. Still, Death could not see perfectly, and now was not the time to misstep.

Haste was vital, as was not breaking the egg within the basket he carried, as was leaving as little as possible in terms of a scent trail. So when there was a reasonable gap between the trees, he took to the air and flew as far as he could in the dense tangle of the rainforest.

He knew exactly when to hide from patrols — he was the one who organized them in the first place – and after what felt like forever, he made it out of the Rainwing kingdom.

'You didn't think something like this could happen, did you?' Deathbringer smiled sadly as he thought about Glory. She didn't think all the fueding and accusations they'd experienced over the last few years could cause this, did she? She wouldn't have allowed him near the nursery anymore if that was the case.

The big Nightwing glanced down at the basket, as if to reassure himself that it was still intact. 'Or maybe she thought I would honor her decisions for the sake of this egg, if nothing else.'

But no, not after what had happened, not after everything she was too blind to see. Glory and the other prophesy dragonets seemed to think they had bought peace with their decisions over the years, but they hadn't been as deep in the investigations of the world as Deathbringer had. Corruption and potential wars always bristled in the shadows, ready to catch the world unawares. That was the reality of life, one that could not be changed.

Oh, but Glory wanted it to change, didn't she? Even though she'd said countless times that she knew the world could not be perfect, she didn't see how even the things they did together to buy peace for their kingdom only delayed war temporarily.

There was little to be done, war would happen. But maybe, just maybe for Glory, there was a reason to try and delay the next war for as long as possible. Or at least to keep the war from being as devastating as it could be.

Even if his efforts would probably make her hate him forever.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

My Wings of Fire Fanfiction, A Constant Cycle Of Roses And Thorns:  http://wingsoffire.scholastic.com/forums/topics/193345

((I'll try to post the next part of this story soon, guys.))

• Posted at:

My Wings of Fire Fanfiction, A Constant Cycle Of Roses And Thorns:  http://wingsoffire.scholastic.com/forums/topics/193345

To the dragons here, Deathbringer was known as Thorneater. That fake name had special significance, not that Death cared to explain the meaning to every dragon he used it on.

Right now he mainly used it in the Bay of a Thousand Scales, where most of the dragons that interacted with him would have no concept of his true identity. Then again, maybe no one truly understood who he was anyway.

'I'm sorry. I'm an assassin, Glory, not the king you wanted me to be...'

With a sigh, Deathbringer pushed that thought from his mind and looked to the small island that was barely coming into sight. He knew the sentries would see him by now, so he stopped in midair, strong wingbeats helping him hover in place. Then, he flew right, quickly circled the island thrice, then proceeded to land at the sentry post he stationed at the southern end of the island.

The sentry on duty would recognize Deathbringer by his size and the flight pattern he showed before landing. It was a signal method Death had implemented long ago, though the flight pattern was changed as often as possible for security's sake.

Grains of sand scattered in the wake of Death's wingbeats as he landed lightly on the narrow beach. The palms swayed gently with each breath of wind, and eventually a young Skywing strode silently from among the trees.

Nimbus.

Because of dragons like Nimbus, this crazy, half formed plan might actually have some success. It already had, actually. This camp has been here for years without encountering interference, and there were many promising apprentices here. But Deathbringer couldn't have acted as King of the Rainwings and stayed on this island to care for his apprentices at the same time. As the first dragon Deathbringer trained outside the Rainwing kingdom, Nimbus had been instrumental in managing the island while Deathbringer was away.

Wordlessly, Death strode forward, and Nimbus silently let his mentor pass through the narrow rock cave and into the camp.

The cave ended when it reached the wide stretch of sand and palms that was occasionally used for sparring. Death stopped when his steps took him to that place. Moonlight slathered the open space, illuminating the massive stones around the edge of the sparring area. Death tilted his head upward, pupils narrowing as moonlight flooded his vision.

“Thorneater!” a young voice shouted.

Death turned his head and smiled slightly as a young mudwing barreled around the side of a boulder, heading straight for him. Mire was usually the first to greet him, at least aside from the border patrol.

Mire halted outside immediate striking distance, staring at the egg basket Death held in his jaws.

“You brought another one? Are you going to leave to get more soon?”

Death set the basket down. “No. This is the last one, at least for now.” The black dragon glanced at the basket. 'Mire just had to remind me that I can't see Glory any time soon...not that he knows any better.'

Mire was staring at the basket now, probably wondering why the egg inside it provoked Death to stay silent and thoughtful the last several moments. The mud dragon was one of the older apprentices. He was also skilled, kind, loyal, protective... and that loyalty did not only extend to this little group of assassins Death was training. Death knew he could count on Mire just as much as Nimbus. Nimbus had his talons full as Death's second in command, though.

What kind of dragon would hatch out of the egg? It would be a Nightwing and Rainwing hybrid, obviously, and Death had seen plenty of those over the years. But what gender would the hatchling be? Would the young one be a good assassin? Would she be as hard to deal with as Glory?

Well, he could think about that later. Death peered at Mire. The younger dragon still studied the egg basket, probably assessing every possible reason why it held Death's attention earlier. Thoughtful, intelligent, capable... Yes, Mire was definitely the best dragon to rely on right now.

“Well Mire, it looks like I've finally found your partner.”

Mire jerked his head up, blinking. Death reached out and gently pushed the basket toward the Mudwing. “This egg is not like the others. Be careful with it.”

Mire's jaws parted, as if he was fighting to articulate a question. But Death stood and walked off. Best to pretend he didn't notice how surprised Mire was.

• Posted at:

bump

• Posted at:

Wow. This is really interesting so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more. You have successfully captured my attention, if nothing else. And I am not always the easiest to entertain. Thank you for what you have already written. I will be checking back daily for more.

• Posted at:

"Happiness is a choice" Randy Disher~

"I'm always right. I'm too logical to be wrong." Danger~

*cri* more...

• Posted at:

~Star~

They/them

Queen of Books, Sarcasm, and fandoms

an ace bi-lot

I is the Forum Fangirl! 

*Jedi mind trick* You will scroll down now...

Hmm... interesting.

• Posted at:

Hi, i'm Amy. I am The Chicken of Cheers!

Sunny: "wow."

Peril: "wow."

Clay: "wow."

I like: Undertale!! Steven Universe, We Bare Bears, RWBY, Sailor Moon, Miraculous Ladybug, and Studio Ghibli.

#Miraculous Ladybug is french Sailor Moon.

you have done amazing! I am looking forward to the next part of this and your a skilled writer so I know it will be great!

• Posted at:

***SNOWY***

More please

• Posted at:

~Be thChange you Wish tsee ithWorld

I am Vegan

I am Aromantic (it means I do not feel romantic love), 

I am an Equalist, 

I am Loyal

Call me Doberman or Dober, (Dober is usually used by friends) 

You have caught my attention and that is hard to do with a fanfic. Great job... in other words, MORE!!!!!!

• Posted at:

TANIS | For Dragons

MOONBLI FOREVER

HAIL QUEEN AUKLET

daughter of athena

ravenclaw

lucian

seawing

#RememberHurricane

((Here's a quick update for you guys.  Thank you very much for your kind words and sticking with the story thus far :) ))

Mire jerked awake when a suspiciously-yearling-dragon-sized-entity rammed into the side of his neck.

“Come ON Mire!” a young voice growled crossly.

Mire closed his eyes and sighed disappointedly as Revere tried to shove him onto his feet. The only reason she tried such impossible things was because she knew they would eventually annoy him into waking for the day. Hmph. What a waste of a good, early morning...

“MIRE!”

Mire shook his head from side to side as his name rang painfully in his sensitive ears. He reflexively lashed his tail toward Revere's voice. The young dragoness yelped as the strike rolled her a few yards away.

Mire opened his eyes just enough to see Revere land skillfully on her feet, surprised but not hurt at all. “You know better than to startle an assassin.” he reminded her. That was one of the first rules everyone here was taught. Now and then the consequences of that rule could be deadly, though many still chose to break it in the interest of fun and games. Startling others was just too tempting at times.

Revere turned to him and pouted. “It's pretty bad if you were startled even though you already knew I was there.”

Mire snorted. “Don't make excuses.”

“It wasn't an excuse, it...”

“Yes, yes, whatever.  Anyway, what was so important that you had to roar in my ear?” Mire stretched before flopping over on his side.

“We have to train, because Thorneater said Nimbus would be testing us all soon, and...”

“Bring me breakfast, then we'll talk.” Mire mumbled, his eyes drifting shut again. He could easily imagine her pinning her ears back in frustration.

“Serious? You think I can drag back enough food to fill the infinite pit you call your stomach?!”

Mire just smirked. “Food, then we'll discuss training.”

Revere must have stomped her front paw, because grains of sand struck his face. Mire's smirk grew into a grin as the lighting shifted around the cave entrance, indicating that Revere had left to go hunt.

'Brilliant.' the mud dragon thought to himself. 'I managed to get more sleep, secure breakfast, and encourage Revere to hone her hunting skills all at once.'

• Posted at:

Hmm... can it get more exciting soon?

Bookmark

• Posted at:

TANIS | For Dragons

MOONBLI FOREVER

HAIL QUEEN AUKLET

daughter of athena

ravenclaw

lucian

seawing

#RememberHurricane

More

• Posted at:

~Be thChange you Wish tsee ithWorld

I am Vegan

I am Aromantic (it means I do not feel romantic love), 

I am an Equalist, 

I am Loyal

Call me Doberman or Dober, (Dober is usually used by friends) 

More please!?

• Posted at:

calytrix~

you could call me caly too, i guess

bisexual

kind of like if tony stark and loki had a child 

hates turtles 

slytherin//entp

you know time crawls on when you're waiting for the song to start, so dance alone to the beat of your heart

It was their egg wasn't it.

That's Deathbringer's daughter.

• Posted at:

I'm Turquoise and I'm Garbage

Darkside: Shade

Hydrus is Here too I guess 

"Tick tock, Feed the Croc"

Never speak to me or my 62 cats ever again.

pronghorn is my son now.

AAAAHHHH KEEP GOING 

• Posted at:

~Star~

They/them

Queen of Books, Sarcasm, and fandoms

an ace bi-lot

I is the Forum Fangirl! 

*Jedi mind trick* You will scroll down now...

((Another quick update.  Don't worry guys, it'll start getting more interesting soon :)  I'm sorry if the last couple updates have seemed boring, I've just needed them to bridge to the next few scenes that are vital to the story and maybe give everyone a break before an intense scene that will be coming up in the next few posts.

I'm going to refrain from commenting on Revere's liniage until at least the next few posts :P  Thank you everyone for reading and commenting, it really helps me keep writing :)  ))

Revere's brows pulled downward in a scowl. There wasn't much prey around here. It took a lot of traipsing about this island to find this big iguana she just caught. Mire would just have to be satisfied with it.

She stopped walking once she was in front of Mire, and his nostrils twitched. He opened his mouth, and Revere dumped the iguana in. Mire tipped his head back and swallowed the food, then rested his head back on the ground, jaws still open in a silent request for food. Hmph. And through all that Mire kept his eyes closed...

Revere kicked a scoop of sand onto Mire's face, and the brown dragon jerked to a sitting position, blinking and sneezing and spitting sand. “What was that for?!” Mire asked when he banished the majority of the sand from his face.

Revere's face held the shadow of a smirk. “That's all the food I've got. Thorneater wants to talk to us about a mission.”

Mire sighed. “You're such a brat.”

Revere stuck her tongue out. “Just trying to wake you up before Thorn wonders where you're at and finds out you've been lazing about like a sloth.”

Mire snorted. Revere didn't wait for a further reply and darted out of the cave. She drank in the fresh sea breeze as she ran. It was a scent she had known for the vast majority of her life. She had only been assigned to missions outside the island once or twice in the past, when she was temporarily the highest ranking apprentice in her age group. She was getting a mission now, though, and she wasn't the highest ranking apprentice at this time.

'That means I'm getting older and better at training, enough for Thorn to think I can handle missions even though I am not currently the 'best' apprentice here...' She neared a large boulder near a massive sea cave she wasn't allowed to pass through without supervision – the other side of that cave led to the outside world, and typically only dragons on official hunting or guarding patrol were allowed there. Unless, of course, the dragons were leaving or returning from a mission. Thorneater was waiting sorta near that cave. She didn't want Thorneater to see her darting around like a hyper hatchling, so she slowed to what she thought was a dignified walk.

When she walked around the boulders, though, she thought she glimpsed an amused smirk on Thorn's face. He thought her dignified walk was funny, didn't he? Hmph. Revere sat down in front of Thorneater and peered up at him. He was the biggest dragon on the island, and probably maybe the biggest dragon she'd seen in her year of existence. She had to tilt her head high up in order to make eye contact with him. Hopefully he wouldn't talk too long, keeping her head at this angle would get uncomfortable after a while.

A moment later, Mire sat beside her, and Thorn began. “In Sandwing territory one of our contacts is getting a little...impatient. Mire, you were on the mission where we first allied with him, so you know the details of the initial deal. But I just received word that he is no longer satisfied with the terms of our arrangement...and is starting to negotiate with one of our enemies.”

'So Mire and I are going to be ambassadors on this mission?' Revere thought. 'Sounds boring. If Mire is talking to that contact all day, it'll be hard to pay attention the whole time. But if I don't pay attention, I'll get in trouble when Mire quizzes me on the meeting later...' Revere tore her thoughts back to Thorn's instructions.

“...Make sure we keep him happy, Mire, but remember that there are some things that are not open for negotiation.”

Mire nodded at Thorn's words. “We've convinced him to remain a part of our spy network before, we can do it again.”

Thorneater nodded before standing and turning to leave.

• Posted at:

I love it! 

• Posted at:

Moonstone

LGBTQ+

PROUD TO BE  ME  

She/he/xie/they/xe/ze

So deep breath in

You're meant for this

Everyone wants to know

If you're the answer they've been searching for.

Beth Crowley "Don't think just run"

Bookmark. This is a great story so far, even if it's kind of sad.

• Posted at:

~DAYBREAK~

I am a:

Reader

Maker

FanWing

(and a very strong-willed, independent girl)

"I'd rather be punished for making the right decision than live with the guilt of making the wrong one." ~ Sophie Foster, Keeper of the Lost Cities

#powertothenerds

I thought this story had died, but I am glad it didn't. I really enjoy reading it and I'd like to see where it goes. =3

• Posted at:

"Happiness is a choice" Randy Disher~

"I'm always right. I'm too logical to be wrong." Danger~

((Darkstalker released today! I'm so excited, I hope I can get a copy and start reading it soon. Sorry for the long wait on this fanfic guys. Here's the next part, posted now in celebration of Darkstalker's release. I typed this out in a big hurry, so hopefully it makes sense. Please, if anything about it is confusing, please let me know in case I need to edit this post. Thank you for reading :) ))

Deathbringer flew straight into the air, higher and higher, before turning and flying northward. At this height, it would look like he was simply flying through the Bay of a Thousand Scales instead of flying from one of the Bay's islands. That was just one of the many practices that helped keep the assassins' presence on the island a secret.

He would fly north for many miles before turning west. If he had flown west as soon as he left the island, that would have increased the risk of someone seeing him and figuring out his actual destination.

He glanced downward, catching a glimpse of Mire and Revere walking on the island far below, getting ready for their mission. They were out of sight within a few of Deathbringer's northward wing beats.

This was going to be Revere's first major mission. The few other missions she participated in were important as well – Death tried not to send his assassins off the island without purpose. But this mission held a little more risk, a much higher need for success than her previous ones. This contact was needed, and while responsibility for the mission's success was not placed directly on Revere's shoulders, she was assigned to it because previously she showed enough maturity to prove she was unlikely to ruin this negotiation. Skill was also part of the equation. Revere had grown enough as an assassin that she wouldn't be completely helpless if attacked. If need be, she had a good chance of evading an enemy or, if necessary, blinding them so she could escape. She would watch and learn as Mire negotiated with the wayward contact, and would probably be a help rather than a hindrance.

A small smile tugged at the corner of Death's mouth. Revere wasn't the best assassin in the group, but she was far, far away from being the worst. She was certainly a legacy to be proud of.

Death's smile faded. Glory wasn't here to help raise Revere; a painful fact, but one that was slowly starting to seem like a blessing rather than a curse. Glory was a wonderful parent and queen, and her absence left a dull, aching wound in Death's life. Yet...he was getting used to it.

As much as he loved Glory, dealing with her was difficult, and the good days with her were wonderful but few and far between. It had been fascinating yet devastating to watch how, over the years, their smallest differences in opinion chipped a massive gulf between them that was nearly impossible to bridge. Worst of all, the gulf didn't form all at once. It had formed from years of tiny hurts that were built up, ignored and intensified by their sometimes vastly different ways of responding to the political issues their kingdom faced every day.

Leaving her was probably the wrong thing to do, even if Death had left to help her and the Rainforest kingdom. But wrong or not, it was the only viable solution he could think of. Not only did leaving and forming his band of assassins grant the freedom to protect what he loved in the manner he found effective, but staying with Glory would've probably just allowed them to fight until there was nothing good left between them.

Then again, leaving may have completely destroyed their relationship anyway. That all depended on Glory's ability to forgive him. But if their relationship was destined to die, it was better for it to be destroyed this way. At least leaving allowed him to protect Glory from afar, whether she knew and appreciated it or not.

Who knew relationships were this hard? Really, that was one reason Death assumed a fake identity and never claimed Revere as his daughter. Sure, there were practical reasons for hiding his identity, and yeah, he told Revere that she was the daughter of King Deathbringer and Queen Glory. And Revere had accepted that with a shrug and went on about her day.

She probably thought little of it because her parentage was introduced to her as a fact of life rather than an honor or responsibility. Revere seemed to know and care about little except her life as an assassin's apprentice. Knowing she was technically royalty meant nothing to her because she had no expectations of the life royalty led. That was for the best, and Death made sure to treat Revere similarly to all his other apprentices that way she would only ever know him as Thorneater.

Glory probably resented him, and most of their children probably resented him too. Death frowned. Being unable to treat Revere as a daughter provoked a small twinge of hurt within him at times, but it was generally good enough to have her here on the island with him, safe where he could watch her follow in his footsteps. He brought her here because she would probably be a good addition to his assassins. Yet...he'd brought her here for other, more selfish reasons, hadn't he?

Having her here was a way of being around a family member without all the deep and complicated wounds actual family bonds brought. She may still resent him some day, but if they argued, it would probably not wound nearly as deeply as it would if they regarded each other as family. If she hated him, she could leave and forget all about him, rather than mourning over a severed bond with her father. Such a situation would be painful for Death, seeing as he knew she was his daughter. But it wouldn't be as painful as it would be if he had actually tried to step in and be her parent.

So, selfish or not, Death would continue to be nothing but Thorneater to his daughter, the slightly mysterious leader of the assassins she was raised by. Wretched as the idea may seem to some, this was the way Death preferred life to be. This way, Revere would probably never judge him as harshly and deeply as she might a family member, and she would never hate him for leaving Glory and the rest of their family. Why would she if she merely regarded him as a distant, unrelated, enigmatic leader?

…...

Dismal musings were ironically appropriate, considering that Death was on his way to visit two of the main differences in opinion that killed his relationship with Glory. Really, he didn't hold any ill will for Winter and Moon. In fact, he rather appreciated that they sided with his way of dealing with the Ice Kingdom. And he was already dwelling on the past, so it wasn't like they were serving as a painful reminder of his relationship woes.

Winter and Moon had an interesting bond, to be sure. Really, Death had once expected that his relationship with Glory would remain amazing, and worried that Winter and Moon's would become miserable. Winter was once proud and hostile toward those outside his tribe, after all, and even hostile to other Icewings when they failed to fulfill his tribe's traditions. Winter used to be the sort of dragon that thought himself more reasonable than those around him, rarely seeming to question himself.

But then Winter changed. Moon did, too. And they actually got along. Or at least, they seemed to when Death visited. For all anyone knew, Winter and Moon could secretly have as many problems as Death had with Glory.

That probably wasn't the case, though. It wasn't like they had a whole kingdom to run. They didn't have a ton of decisions to make, just and all consuming sense of sadness and the desire to protect their future children. They seemed so tired of the way other dragons treated them that they probably did little but turn to each other for solace.

Death almost wished he and Glory had found themselves in the same situation.

• Posted at:

I'll try to post the next chapter as soon as I can guys.  I didn't get as far into the story as I hoped I would with that last chapter.

• Posted at:

MORE!!!

• Posted at:

Meep

Trashy Strange Child Extraordinaire

*intp-t*she/her*spOOpy*

(╯ ✧ ▾ ✧ )╯︵ ┻━┻

#sunnylickedaqibli #noflameinthelibrary

Slightly FR-obsessed

For SCIENCE!

"Teleporting skeleton mangoes!"

This is great!

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Queen of Non SequiturBookwyrmsPangolinsand Bones

Trash Squad, WerewolfGASTER FOLLOWER

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

WoFMBer Dec. 2014-Mar. 2019

Bump

• Posted at:

Sorry it's been taking me so long to work on the next post.  That one is taking more work than the others and I've been busy lately.  Just wanted to let you guys know I haven't given up on this story :)

• Posted at:

((Sorry for the long wait, guys.  I really wanted to finish this whole scene before I posted, but I decided I've waited long enough, and the scene was probably too long to put in one update anyway.))

The contact Thorneater had them negotiate with was a big Sandwing named Wind.  Revere wasn't sure she liked him.

He seemed not to like her and Mire, at least.  Mire was trying to be nice and agreeable with Wind.  Not in the 'I'll do anything to make you happy!' way, but in the 'I am willing to work with you and figure out an outcome that's good for both of us' way.  

Wind listened to Mire as they walked slowly through some little used caves in the unusually barren part of the desert.  Wind's gaze wandered over the rock formations around them the whole time, like he just wanted the conversation to end.  He kept turning down Mire's ideas for making things better, too, even though Mire's ideas were very good and fair.  In addition, Wind never offered ideas of his own.  Thorneater said to be concerned when dragons complain about things all the time without proposing any solutions.  Especially if they don't even seem interested in having the discussion in the first place.  Like, those dragons probably secretly hate the ones they display that behavior toward.  Or maybe, in this case, it meant that Wind was extremely unhappy.  Wind was unhappy, of course, but his behavior meant he could be unhappy enough to cause problems.

Wind stopped in front of a large cave room with a small hole in the ceiling that was open to the desert sunlight and finally broke his silence.  “It's late afternoon, and I'm sure you are both exhausted and hungry.”  Revere nearly jumped at the sudden sound of his voice.  Wind paused a moment.  “Why don't you wait in this room, and I'll bring you something to eat.”

That wasn't an order, but it sounded like Wind made the offer to benefit himself, rather than offering food and rest to be considerate.

A brief flicker of worry seemed to pass over Mire's face, but it was too quick for Revere to be sure.  Though Mire did hesitate before agreeing.  “A break would probably do us all good.  Thank you, Wind.”

Wind nodded curtly and walked down the next corridor of the cave.  Mire sighed and strode into the sunlit cave room, stopping and laying down beside a large boulder.

Revere pricked her ears forward and stared at Wind until he was out of sight, then she looked toward Mire and scampered up to him.  “So...why'd he tell us to rest here like this?

Mire glanced up.  “He's probably tired of talking to us.  It's best that we let him have a break.  And frankly, I need one too.”

“He offered to feed us.”  Revere replied.

Mire closed his eyes.  “Yes. Thankfully, negotiations haven't broken down so badly that he avoids that small courtesy.”

Revere glanced around the room, then stood and paced around, sniffing every nook and cranny in the stone in search of any mice or lizards hiding among the rocks.  Why was Mire giving Wind politeness points when Wind was practically ignoring everything Mire said?  “Yeah, well, what if he poisons us?”

Mire rolled his eyes.  “You're inventing paranoid scenarios to vent your dislike for Wind.  Stop it.”

“Fine.  Call me when he gets back.” Revere replied, staring at the hole in the ceiling.  What did the top of this cave look like?  She hopped onto a massive boulder, the tip of her tail twitching.

“Don't go far.”  Mire warned, firmly but tiredly.

Revere was already shifting her scales to match the sandy tones of the rock around her.  “I won't.”  she replied before leaping into the air.

• Posted at:

Bump

• Posted at:

Bookmark

• Posted at:

Banana was here :|

Hey, Puppy!

Don't go, Arienne...

#StopTheFlame

#RememberTheLost

"You can be that

Somebody's someone,

Somehow, someday..."

~Call me Laurel~

Defender of the World

||-//

w y o m i n g

Bump

• Posted at:

Oh my gosh this is such a good and interested story!  You present it very well!  I'm completely enraptured--can't wait to read more!

• Posted at:

~Connie~

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools."

|the future is shaped by our history|

((Wow guys, sorry this part took so long.  But I'm so glad it's finally finished!  Especially since I knew it would be important to Revere's character, but I was initially having a hard time approaching this scene.))

Revere dug her talons into the roof of the cave when a gust of wind threatened her balance. She crept over the dusty stone, low so that the wind would have a harder time blowing her over. Every so often, she stopped to make sure she was still the same color as the sandy cavern roof. She probably didn't need to stay camouflaged, but it was better that she did. Not only was it good practice, but in this situation, it was better not to advertise that she was wandering around against Wind's invitation to wait in the cave.

Dirt polluted the air, and Revere pinned her ears back, blinking as she tried not to sneeze. It didn't work, though, and she tucked her muzzle against her forelegs to muffle the sound. She squinted, sweeping the area again.

Stupid, filthy, ugly desert! The sand on the island wasn't nearly so bad as it was here. And everything looked the same. Why would the Sandwings want to live in such a boring and uncomfortable place? Come to think of it, how did they track their prey's scent without filling their nostrils with dirt? Then again, Mire said that the average dragon didn't bother utilizing their nose much while hunting. Or at least, not as often as assassins did.

A low growl punctuated the air below. Revere ducked instinctively, laying her head and wings on the cave's hard surface. Squinting carefully, the young assassin's gaze darted around until she spotted the source of the sound. Wind!

He was just standing there on the ground, by the cave wall many feet below. Thankfully the breeze was carrying Revere's scent away from him.

Hm...he wasn't carrying any prey, even though he said he'd bring some back. And what was he looking at?

Another dragon unfurled his massive wings as if to shake the sand off of them before tucking them back against his sides. Oh. It was another Sandwing, one that was the exact color of the sand and cave. No wonder he was practically invisible at first...

Wait. Wind was supposed to be here alone. That was one of the conditions of the meeting, so why...?

“They're in position...”

Revere pricked her ears forward, trying to catch the rest of the Sandwing's words. But the wind snatched the rest of the words away.

Mire should know about this. Revere turned around, keeping her small, lithe form as flat against the rock as possible. Oh, if she wasn't trying to keep hidden, she would have just darted back into the cave to warn Mire...

Suddenly, the stone beneath her shifted and nearly bucked her into the air. Her wings started spreading to catch her balance, but then the cave stilled. Revere froze in place before stalking forward once more, eying the rock beneath her talons. Was there an earthquake? Mire told her about those. They sounded scary, though she would be safe here above ground where she could fly.

The cave trembled and Revere tensed. The stone beneath her talons rebelled beneath her, knocking her off her feet. A small squeak of surprise escaped her mouth as she scrambled for purchase on the rock before falling. The cave rose and shifted as Revere turned her head and unfurled her wings to fly.

Then, she turned back to the cave. The cave rocks turned to sand; whirling and tumbling in thick columns, crashing toward the center like a pack of ravening sharks around injured prey.

Revere's gaze darted from side to side. Where was Wind and that other Sandwing? Were there more enemies? Maybe if she could find them she could stop whatever they were doing to the cave...she had to do something immediately, but how could one stop such a storm of sand, especially when one couldn't find who was causing this?

A thundering roar sounded from the chaotic mass of dirt.

“MIRE!!!” Revere screeched, baring her teeth fearfully. She flew around the swirling mass. Where were those Sandwings?

Movement below caught her eye, and Revere swooped down. It was that other Sandwing, the one that blended in far too well with the desert.

The stranger saw her shadow and turned around, but she was already tearing at his face, barely able to keep herself from roaring.

She hung on as the Sandwing swung his heavy head, trying in vain to dislodge her. She tore at his eyes and clawed the side of his neck with her back talons. Her fangs sank into his ear and she mercilessly bit it off.

But in moments, the stranger swiped at her with his own talons, and Revere barely saw the movement in her peripheral vision and dodged. She jumped off of the older dragon and landed outside his immediate striking distance, instantly taking up a battle stance.

Revere's legs trembled, and she panted in the heat of the sun and the adrenaline coursing through her veins. Her opponent's blood was in her mouth; a sharp, unsettling taste. She'd never bitten another dragon hard enough to draw blood.

The stranger glared at her before turning back to watch the swirling sand. No other roar sounded from the chaotic whirl, and a rattling shudder passed through Revere's small body. Her opponent ignored her.

He held no fear for her. Mire hadn't made another sound, Wind was nowhere to be seen, this was a trap, this stranger had no reason to be afraid of her.

'Because I can't do anything else...' That fact stood clearer than anything else for a moment before an all consuming thought seized her.

'Get out. Get out, get out!'

Her heart clenched, and she turned and ran on her trembling legs before taking to the air, soaring as high as she could. She shifted her scales to match the bright blue of the clear desert sky, careening back toward Thorneater's island.

• Posted at:

Bump

• Posted at:

Cool

• Posted at:

Yellow

Zebrasarecool

#SunnyLickedAQibli

#ClerilIsAFruit

DemonxYellow

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~The Lorax

Christian!

"LICK LICK LICK" she saids as she was put in an assylum

PTFL

• Posted at:

"If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours."

Seeking the truth every day and learning to live-

Vyxrynyzyllff ^.~

Thanks guys :)

• Posted at:

MORRRRRRREEEE!!!!!!

• Posted at:

Cloudy

"When given the chive between right or kind. Choose kind" -'Wonder'

Oreo+Hummus= Humina

((So sorry for the long wait guys!  But here's the next chapter.  Thank you for all your support thus far :) ))

After the first exhausting day of panicked travel, Revere's energy was too frayed to do much at night but find a place to hide and sleep. In the days that followed, she got lost a couple times. Another time, she nearly died when a stray Skywing attacked her.

When she neared the island, the dull ache of fear and sadness within her flared into dread. Her limbs felt numb and weak, trembling. She didn't do anything to help Mire, even though that was her job. She would be in trouble, wouldn't she? Would she be allowed to go on missions anymore? Would she be banished for not being brave enough to dig Mire out of the cave and fight off his attackers?

And worst of all, she was freaked out, not...crying and all that stuff dragons were supposed to do on reflex whenever a friend died. This whole thing was terrifying, but why were fear and weariness looming in her head so far above her grief for Mire?

'If everyone knew what I was thinking, not only would they see me as a coward, but they would also think I was selfish and evil...' That was how dragons responded to those that did not mourn for the dead, right?

A cool ocean breeze drifted over her scales. The sun glared into her eyes, and they drooped in response. She began to fold her wings in so she could dive toward the shore and crash to the soft sand and surrender to the forgetfulness of sleep. 

No, no, that was bad, wasn't it? Didn't Mire say they had to fly in a certain pattern around the island before they landed? Revere stopped, flapping her wings steadily. Flight pattern, flight pattern...what did Mire say the flight pattern was? 

Would she have to stay hovering here forever until she remembered? Maybe she should just turn back, then she wouldn't have to deal with all the complicated things that would happen if she landed and faced everyone... 

“Revere!” A voice whispered frantically. 

Revere glanced up, eyes widening as she realized Nimbus was hovering in front of her. 

“What's going on?” he asked, quietly yet urgently. 

Why couldn't he hover a little more to the left, so she could maintain eye contact with him without having the sun in her eyes? She squinted at him. “I...I forgot the flight pattern thing, so I didn't know what to do.” 

Nimbus's brows furrowed, and he lowered his head to look at her. But explaining further was too tiring. She'd flown all day non stop, without anything to eat or drink. Her eyes started to drift shut again. But the moment she landed she would probably have to deal with everyone else and all their questions about how useless she had been out there in the desert...

Finally, Nimbus sighed. “Come on, Thorneater wants to see you.” 

…...

Revere practically tumbled to a stop on the sands before him. She landed in a colorful heap, panting and limp. 

Deathbringer's eyes widened marginally as his daughter drew her wings closer to her sides. She seemed ready to fall asleep at any moment, but he couldn't allow her to rest until he had some idea of what was going on. 

Especially since she arrived here without Mire. 

Death lowered his muzzle and nudged Revere gently. “Revere...I know you're tired, but where is Mire?” 

The child shuddered. “I...” her words trailed off in an indecipherable murmur. 

“Revere?” Death prodded her gently. 

Revere shifted, lifting her head slightly, but didn't look his way. “He's in the desert, dead. Wind was acting all upset like he didn't even want us there. Wind told us to wait in the cave while he caught prey for us. Mire said everything would be ok, but when I went exploring Wind was talking to some other dragon. I went to warn Mire but the cave collapsed into a storm of rock and sand and buried him and I couldn't stop it I'm so sorry!” 

Death blinked, not expecting a tirade from such a tired dragon. Revere's words ended in a ragged sob, and there she lay, trembling, her talons digging into the sand. So Mire was...gone? Death's ears folded back, heart pounding. Why did something like this have to happen when Revere was so young, and when he couldn't offer her the comfort a father would normally give? He had to hide the fact that she was his child, after all. And maintain his ability to react calmly in the face of these tragedies. 

But in spite of Revere's current state...she made the journey back here alone, instead of getting killed by an enemy or lost in the vast lands of Pyrhhia. She brought back vital news of Mire's death. She tried to warn Mire... She had nothing to be sorry for, yet she was piling guilt on herself. 

“Nimbus, take her back to her den and let her rest. I'll speak with her again this evening.”

…...

Soft breezes brushed through the palm fronds. Revere's eyes drifted open, seeing a faint orange light reflecting off the small tidepool outside the den. 

Oh. It was sunset. And everything felt off. It was far too quiet, and all her energy and joy were gone...

Wait. She was home. But Mire wasn't, because he...

Revere sat up, and a twinge of soreness shot through her wings and shoulders. She sat stiffly for a moment. The soft, familiar sand felt good between her toes...but it was the same as the desert's, wasn't it? The only thing nice about this sand was that the wind didn't blast the island's sand in her face.

Wind. Wind. Wind. That dragon helped cause all these weird emotions inside her. If it wasn't for him, then she wouldn't have been in a situation where her incompetence could harm Mire. Why didn't she just...

“Revere?” Thorneater's voice whispered softly.

Revere looked up and saw the black dragon leaning his head down in front of the den entrance. “Yeah?” she replied.

Thorn sighed and lay down outside the den, perhaps so he could maintain eye contact without having to bend his head so low to peer into the den. “Revere, can you tell me what happened, in greater detail?”

Revere lowered her gaze to rest on the stone wall beside her. “I guess.” Then she told him everything. Every shameful detail of it...except for some of her feelings. Thorneater didn't need to know that she felt more afraid than sad right now.

Thorn was silent for a moment, then sighed. “Revere, you did well on that mission.” He took a deep breath. “Far better than most would at your age. I see that I didn't move you high enough in rank. Tomorrow, you will start training with Nimbus.”

Revere blinked and stared at the ground. “What are you talking about?”

“You suspected Wind right away. The moment you saw proof of his treachery, you sought to warn Mire. When the cave collapsed, you fought to save him, though you didn't know what to do. On top of all that, you survived the trip home by yourself. You deserve all the training Nimbus can give you.”

Revere didn't stop staring at the ground. “Oh...are you sure he'll have time?”

“He'll make the time.” Thorn replied.

Revere hazarded a glance in the older dragon's reaction. He was watching her carefully. But he looked sad too. Was this conversation just a nice way for him to say she needed to train with a better mentor so she could get rid of her incompetence? Maybe. How could anyone say she did well when she felt like a mess the moment the cave collapsed and swallowed her mentor? How could anyone say she deserved good things when she had careened away from the whole thing like a startled bird?

But Thorneater seemed insistent, and whatever decision Thorn made in response to her failure, she would accept.

• Posted at:

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE  MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORe MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Posted at:

-Tree- 

She/Her

Ravenclaw

Proud Christian

"My name is Indigo Seawing, you kill my Fathom, prepare to die' 

- The Princess Seawing

Wow, that took a long time! But it's worth it. Write more!

(My favorite ship/s are in this, so :) ))

You have inspired me to write my own fanfic!

• Posted at:

-ᏕᎧᏬᏝᏕᎧᏁᎶ-*Fallen*

{I Identify as a Child of God!}

Want to see a disappearing trick? I call it hiatus!

Proud Christian

Jesus, I praise your name

You fill me in every way

So it's you that I will raise

Until I end my days

1 ,