A random poll appears! What will you press?

First order of buisiness: posting this lecture that the mods deleted yesterday! (Copy and paste is your friend.) 

First of all, Mary Sues make me sick. And despite all my lectures, rants and ways to fix them, THEY ARE TAKING OVER THE FORUMS! *Smashes everything with a sledgehammer, then gives to sledgehammer to Lightspeed so I can write while listening to the sound of things breaking.* SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE, YOU MIGHT NOT TAKE OC DEVELOPING TO THE EXTREMES THAT I DO, BUT FOR ALL THREE MOON'S SAKE, REMEMBER THAT YOU'RE CREATING AN ACTUAL DRAGON IN YOUR BRAIN!

Also, on the same subject, I hate it when people think that quantity is better than quality. I hate it when people make a ton of poorly-developed OCs and then parade around acting proud of themselves because they've got so many OCs. Okay, great, now what are all their thoughts on tree-gliding? Oh, can't think of that? What about favorite color? Do they even have a personality besides a string of disconnected adjectives? If not, you should try to develop them. Before you make more OCs. QUALITY, not quantity.

Also, I've been thinking. Do I come across as harsh towards powerful characters? Because I really don't intend to. I don't like Mary Sues, yes, but I also don't like the thought of forcing people to make Anti-Sues to accommodate me. I hope that isn't the case.

I was walking around earlier (take random walks. I find that they help me think.), and I thought of this thing I heard about. Someone's most likely Sue OC, a hybrid of all the tribes, who'd been experimented on by NightWings to make them superpowered. When I heard about it, I dismissed the concept immediately. But now I'm thinking... Is there a way to make that sort of character interesting? I might try writing a fanfic about a character exactly like that after I finish TTM. You can judge the quality.

Speaking of TTM, that leads right into my next topic: I seriously hate my tendency to procrastinate, but it's hard to do anything about it. I want to finish TTM eventually, but I'm worried that I won't. Readers, I'm sorry for leaving you in suspense.

My last topic, plus a little shameless advertising: The Evil Overlord's List. My new RP. Took me two weeks to write, and so far only two forumers have actually posted OCs. (Thank you Angel and Flight, have ALL THE COOKIES!) It's still open! This RP is an audition-style one, which means that you put in characters and I'll pick their spots. Until you see the PoV thread (and probably after that, some spots are unlimited), all spots are open. It might take a while to read, but it's as funny and interesting as I could make it so PLEASE join. I am actually begging you, people, I SPENT TWO WEEKS ON THE DRATTED THING! It's here: /230194.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Sage of the Universe, Giver of Writing Advice

I'll respect your opinion as long as your opinion doesn't disrespect anyone else's life

LONG LIVE ANARCHY, DESTROY YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT, AND BE CAREFUL: SERPENTINE IS 100% SALT

/318748

*noms cookie* :D!

• Posted at:

I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have trials, but TAKE HEART! I have overcome the world!

-Jesus, John 16:33

~Angel~

My Identitis in Christ!

I don’t support same-gender romance.

4amigas

:D RAWR. I just got a kind of funny idea...

• Posted at:

I'll respect your opinion as long as your opinion doesn't disrespect anyone else's life

LONG LIVE ANARCHY, DESTROY YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT, AND BE CAREFUL: SERPENTINE IS 100% SALT

/318748

I slept funny on my shoulder and it hurts a lot. A lot.

• Posted at:

/318748

*pokes head in* *reads rant* 

Welp, I have to agree on the Mary Sue and underdeveloped thing. I'll admit that I used to do that- make overpowered OCs, and most of my OCs are underdeveloped. (However, I'm working on it.) 

As for the RP... I want to join... I really do... but I don't think I can, because I simple don't have enough time. I could go for a week without posting any POVs because I was too busy with homework or I forgot about it...

• Posted at:

<|RUBY SKY|>

-Your local Lord of Overprotectiveness!

Don't fight what you hate. Save what you love.

Queen of Strawberries and Unknown Words!

Maybe I dreamt you...

-there's so much more-

#SafeAsLife

#RememberTheLost

#HufflepuffPride

#PrideForAll

Bye!

Don't worry, I can always forumstalk. 

• Posted at:

/318748

Poke

• Posted at:

/318748

*munches cookies* Yum. 

I think that if one deliberately makes an OP character then the character's personality and how other characters react to them will be pretty important to whether or not they are likeable/interesting/Sue/Stu

Like if they are overly "good" or regularly defeat dragons just for the sake of defeating them, or if everyone loves them or everyone hates them, and it's treated as utterly normal for them to be completely moral/invincible/loved/hated, then, well, warning signs of Sueness. 

• Posted at:

-x-Flight-x-

“Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.”The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint Exupéry

#RememberTheLost

Yep :P 

Also, I drew a cover for TEOL. I am not ashamed of bragging; it's a masterpiece.

• Posted at:

/318748

CONJOINED TWINS ARE IDENTICAL! SAY IT WITH ME: CONJOINED TWIN ARE IDENTICAL!

• Posted at:

/318748

I just found the cover for TEOL.

THAT IS AMAZING. JUST. AMAZING.

I'd comment but I don't have a Deviantart account and I don't think my parents would let me get one anyways...

• Posted at:

<|RUBY SKY|>

-Your local Lord of Overprotectiveness!

Don't fight what you hate. Save what you love.

Queen of Strawberries and Unknown Words!

Maybe I dreamt you...

-there's so much more-

#SafeAsLife

#RememberTheLost

#HufflepuffPride

#PrideForAll

Bye!

Thanks!

• Posted at:

/318748

Sage is right! She corrected my Fantribes!

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

♫ QueeoScrollanLibraries ♫

~<>~ ”To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” ~Aristotle ~<>~

Wait, Sage, what's your DA?! I wanna see the cover! :D!

• Posted at:

I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have trials, but TAKE HEART! I have overcome the world!

~Angel~

My Identitis in Christ!

4amigas

Silentfire99

• Posted at:

/318748

thanks! also, if you wanted to join an Rp...I made one recently...You don't have to!

• Posted at:

~Angel~

My Identitis in Christ!

4amigas

What the heck, wolffire?

• Posted at:

turtlefun27

What do you mean by that? Also, I'm Sage.

• Posted at:

/318748

I hate it when people enter a roleplay late and don't bother to figure out what's going on, they just do whatever and expect people to go along with it.

• Posted at:

/318748

Stuff.

I'm kind of irritated right now. Someone in the Hunger Flames teleported to the swamp and ate a ton of crocodiles without their stomach exploding. What if I moved my character and said she spit venom in that character's eyes? They couldn't object, their character has done things that are just as inconsistant.

Does anyone have a character named Vine? It seems to me like it would be a popular name, but I haven't encountered any Vines. 

If you are a GF fan, read the fanfic Flat Dreams. It's so cute and in-character and Liam is such a precious cinnamon roll. Poor guy. 

I have so many pet peeves. When people draw dragons with tiny wings. When people don't get dragon's eye color right. When people powerplay, make Mary Sues or don't even bother developing their characters.

But I've read lots of stories with great characters, and some good fanfics that keep the canons in-character. which is so great. It gives me hope for the universe.

I think that if you're able to make an OP character interesting, such as Darkstalker, then you deserve applause. I'm going to take a shot at it after TTM's done.

I think this thread is basically my blog. I just post random feelings here.

• Posted at:

/318748

... I don't know what to post, but I want to post something.

• Posted at:

/318748

Bookmark

• Posted at:

/~{Cori}~\

#Mage of Water

#Believe in yourself

#Respect All

#Post not Star

#Be Proud of Who You Are

#Everyone Deserves to Be Heard

#Remember the Lost

#More OC generators!

Sílthéy has a low soprano singing voice.

Monarch is a lot stronger than she looks. She's also tougher than you'd guess... Like a monarch.

Vine is actually one of my few extroverted OCs. Spook is probably my most introverted, though Cosmos and Kultarr come close behind.

I have a lot of smart OCs. I need more sporty OCs. Though I guess that Monarch, Deathmoon, Cyro, Lightspeed, and Kowari are all a bit sporty. So I guess I have enough.

I'm going to try to figure out who's opposite who.

• Posted at:

/318748

Okay I need to hand out bribes: After I finish my current project, I'm going to draw every single OC in the Evil Overlord's List.

• Posted at:

/318748

What I say is not proportional to what I think. If I said everything I think, then I'd loose my voice very quickly.

I'm an introvert. I build worlds in my head.

• Posted at:

/318748

Always create the personality before the appearance. The appearance does not matter anywhere near as much as the personality. If you're going to write four paragraphs about one thing, it must be the personality. Take it from WoF: Tui barely describes her dragons beyond a sentence or two, yet they are memorable and interesting characters. And when it comes to descriptions, show, don't tell. Describe what your character does rather than is. And for the love of Tui, don't write wastes of words like ">Blank< has a temper" or ">Blank is fun to be around" because those can apply to EVERY SINGLE PERSON, imaginary or nonimaginary. It just depends on the situation. If you want to improve your writing, look at springhole.net. It is the most useful tool for writers anywhere.

• Posted at:

/318748

I just read a whole bunch of articles on springhole

• Posted at:

It’s the hydra fellow

#furryrightsactivist

#endpitbullracism

#blicket

“Boi” is a gender neutral term

star count:  14400 (+589)

page count:  242

Good. Continue now.

• Posted at:

/318748

poke

• Posted at:

Slushy

Love is Love

#BoycottChipotleBecauseTheyDidntHireJamesLike3YearsAgo

Danganronpa nerd

Goodbye everyone! I'll miss you all.

February 13, 2016-march 23, 2019

Springhole is AWESOME. I use it for a lot of things. I also recommend Writing Excuses, which is a podcast series by one of my FAVORITE authors and some others. Very useful.

And about interesting OP characters, they're not truly OP if they have a weakness--which Darkstalker clearly did: his hubris. That's what makes "OP" characters interesting, I think.

• Posted at:

~ Midwinter ~

Per dolorem, per timorem, per tenebras mortemque, tecum semper manebo.

Through pain, through fear, through darkness and death, I will always stay with you.

Deathmoon and Sagittarius know each other. I'll explain later.

• Posted at:

/318748

"Battle Scars" by Paradise Fears is a good song. I can picture Sílthéy singing it just when someone needs to concentrate. She's annoying that way.

• Posted at:

/318748

Sweet little one-shot here: /232464 about TTM's character Sagittarius and my weird NightWing, Deathmoon. If you've read TTM or FAFAP, you should read it.

• Posted at:

/318748

The thing about Mary Sues is that everyone gets the definition wrong. Mary Sues are not talented, powerful, or goregeous. They can be mean, jerky, and bratty. In fact, a common Sue trait is having a mental health issue. The thing that makes a Sue a Sue it that they're unrealistic. They are so talented or powerful that it destroys suspension of disbelief and makes your story look completely unreal and like a wish-furfillment. They might be mean, but no one calls them out on it or is even resentful. They could be irritating, but it's only to people who would actually exist, not to the characters in the story. With a genuine Mary Sue, it seems like the fabric and rules of their universe change to how they want it.

• Posted at:

/318748

For the sake of everything important, RESEARCH if you have an OC with a mental health problem. Otherwise you could write it extremely insensitively.

• Posted at:

/318748

*strolling around bored because I have a day off today* *looks at my posts from back when I joined* AKFJIDGPSIGPIDSBFPDS LOOK AT THIS HORROR:

Spot: Rainwing dragonet

Name: Serpentine

Appearance: is small and fast, likes to fight. Scales change with mood, mostly flame and gold colored.

Personality: Takes a nap in the middle of the day. Is kind of grouchy. She can sometimes get mad at people, although the more she sleeps in the sun, the less grouchy she is. Very anti social. She is pretty smart.

Extra powers: has two ruffs on either side

Other: is my first oc to be posted on the forums

AISPFHADIPHFPADHFUIDPHGIDPAHGDIP

THE PERSONALITY! THE NONDESCRIPTION! AHHHHHHHH! HOW WAS I EVER LIKE THIS?

• Posted at:

/318748

I hate the concept of Spirit Animals. Sorry, but bonding with animals that are implied to be intelligent and sentient is horrible. And forcing them onto your body as a tattoo for storage and basically using them as a cool item is not good in my opinion.

• Posted at:

/318748

Uh..... A cool item? In Spirit Animals, so many people are BEST FRIENDS with their spirit animal.

I completely agree about OCs. I have what? Five OCs? And for at least 3 of them, and probably more, I know what they'd do in any given situation, with a minute or two to think. And one of them, Faro, I use all over the place, never keeping any given appearance or fandom, and he's quite a nice character, I'd say.

Really? I am?

Yep.

And I really hate Mary Sues. Actually I hate anything over-used and/or perfect.

• Posted at:

I am a Magic Kitten!

My nickname is Magic

"Everyone should suddenly have the air turn into seven bright purple dragons yelling hysterically whenever she gets attacked." -Tsunami

Yeah, except it's forced. The animals have no choice, someone just drinks the Nectar and suddenly they're there, and have to forcibly bond with someone they know nothing about. I don't like it.

• Posted at:

/318748

Well, it raises them to a higher level of consciousness, gives them human protection, probably makes them stronger, and none of them have expressed any bad feelings about being a spirit animal.  Besides, the animal actually can choose to turn into a tattoo or not.

• Posted at:

It’s the hydra fellow

#furryrightsactivist

#endpitbullracism

#blicket

“Boi” is a gender neutral term

star count:  14400 (+589)

page count:  242

1 , , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6