For a long time, I've wondered how a dragon would be classified. They are most commonly referred to as lizards, but their scales more resemble fish scales and they are basically mismatched pieces of different animals. A horse's head. Bat's wings. They also have a controllable tail. As far as I know, lizards can't control their tails as well as a dragon can. A dragon's tail seems to be of a different make. I've ranted and wondered about dragons, and then learned about the Pangolin (my new favorite animal). Pangolins are scaled mamals, which would suddenly make sense. They are basically little dragons without wings!

my battery is at, like, 4% though so I got to go. 

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

•Darksea•

Please excuse the typoes.

Darling don't be afraid, I will love you for a thousand years. 

God bless you Lucy.

3Amigas

This is a very sharp knife I have here

Yee

#Arkos

That does make sense...

• Posted at:

Call Me Rivulet

Child Of The Stars

Asteroid

ChilOThSun

Instinct

Child Of The Moon

Lilly - My Favorite OC

{❤️ OWLCITY}

#IBelieveInLove

#ISTOLEDRIPPY'SCAR

Forum Lucky Ducky

OMU = OMG

I mean, none of the tribes are cold blooded, like a reptile. And in the books they have humanlike eyes.

• Posted at:

Call Me Rivulet

Child Of The Stars

Asteroid

ChilOThSun

Instinct

Child Of The Moon

Lilly - My Favorite OC

{❤️ OWLCITY}

#IBelieveInLove

#ISTOLEDRIPPY'SCAR

Forum Lucky Ducky

OMU = OMG

Yeah, I believe that dragons are mammals, but I've never had anything to back my argument up.

• Posted at:

Jadeseeker

{Genderfluid!}

Beauty comes in all forms. It's not just external; it's internal as well. - Alessia Cara

Margay Scattering Auburn Cottontail Gyrfalcon Distance Darkwatcher

They rechnically couldn't be. All mammals but he platypus lay live young, and dragons have eggs first. I'm assuming they are acreptild, though they do have many physical traits of other types. 

• Posted at:

-=-Call me Athena-=-

Farewell, and may you have the best possible opportunities and life. Maybe I'll be back someday, but for now I just want to say thank you for everything.

It's hard to say. Depends on what type of dragon you want. I mean, chinese dragons have fur. Reptiles need outside sources to change temp. Mammals maintain constant heat so with a internal fire dragons could be mammals. Also there is a mammal that lays eggs. the playpus. 

• Posted at:

~Wolfsparrow~

"I've been thinking..."

"And here I am without a pen or paper to record this momentous event." -Rangers Apprentice

"All mammals but he platypus lay live young"

False.

The Echidna also lays eggs.

(Sorry, I don't mean this to be rude or anything. Please don't take it as mean :P)

• Posted at:

•Darksea•

God bless you Lucy.

3Amigas

Yee

#Arkos

Well, hm. I don't think so. They don't have any traits to fit into the mammalia class like pangolins do. They don't have any fur, they don't give love birth, they don't supply their young with milk, the only mammal trait they seem to have is being warm blooded, but that isn't a trait specific to a mammals as they have found fish that have that trait as well as other classes of animals, including some reptiles. I would have to say that  dragons are indeed reptiles or at very least in the Sauropsida class, which consists of birds and reptiles. And before you say that pangolins don't have any fur, they do. Their fur is on their undersides and faces. They just have the added bonus of scales as well. As for your argument about reptiles not having the same types of tails as dragons, you're partially right. Reptiles can control their tails, but dragons seem to have better control than most reptiles. As for a dragons look, well it almost seems like they evolved to carry out certain looks from different species of reptiles. Their head resembles that of different lizards or caimans, depending on the species. Their bodies could be compared to that of a Komodo dragons and their tails are closets related to geckos. Their scales seem to be a mixture of different reptiles, depending on the dragon. They also exhibit all the traits reptiles have. They have backbones, they lay eggs, they're covered entirely in scales, and while they are warm blooded, some reptiles are as well. Even certain tribal traits can be linked to reptiles. Snakes can spit venom like Rainwings, the spitting cobra to be exact, and some reptiles love in water, such as the coral snake which can also live on land like a Seawing and crocodiles can hold their breath for a while, like Mudwings. The reason I would be hesitant to classify them as a reptile would be the wings. However, the Sauropsida class is for both birds and reptiles as the two are related. I would say that dragons are a new branch in that class of animals and not in the mammalia class, meaning dragons are not likely to be mammals or in that class. 

• Posted at:

~Amarok~

I pop in every now and then

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember me by." 

"Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

:points: listen to... sorry, nicknames and mobile font mix. 

• Posted at:

-=-Call me Athena-=-

Farewell, and may you have the best possible opportunities and life. Maybe I'll be back someday, but for now I just want to say thank you for everything.

Well, hm. I don't think so. They don't have any traits to fit into the mammalia class like pangolins do. They don't have any fur, they don't give love birth, they don't supply their young with milk, the only mammal trait they seem to have is being warm blooded, but that isn't a trait specific to a mammals as they have found fish that have that trait as well as other classes of animals, including some reptiles. I would have to say that  dragons are indeed reptiles or at very least in the Sauropsida class, which consists of birds and reptiles. And before you say that pangolins don't have any fur, they do. Their fur is on their undersides and faces. They just have the added bonus of scales as well. As for your argument about reptiles not having the same types of tails as dragons, you're partially right. Reptiles can control their tails, but dragons seem to have better control than most reptiles. As for a dragons look, well it almost seems like they evolved to carry out certain looks from different species of reptiles. Their head resembles that of different lizards or caimans, depending on the species. Their bodies could be compared to that of a Komodo dragons and their tails are closets related to geckos. Their scales seem to be a mixture of different reptiles, depending on the dragon. They also exhibit all the traits reptiles have. They have backbones, they lay eggs, they're covered entirely in scales, and while they are warm blooded, some reptiles are as well. Even certain tribal traits can be linked to reptiles. Snakes can spit venom like Rainwings, the spitting cobra to be exact, and some reptiles love in water, such as the coral snake which can also live on land like a Seawing and crocodiles can hold their breath for a while, like Mudwings. The reason I would be hesitant to classify them as a reptile would be the wings. However, the Sauropsida class is for both birds and reptiles as the two are related. I would say that dragons are a new branch in that class of animals and not in the mammalia class, meaning dragons are not likely to be mammals or in that class. 

• Posted at:

~Amarok~

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember me by." 

Opps. Sorry for the double post. The mods seem to delight in making my posts take a long time to come through and then when I think it doesn't go through and send in a second one they then send in both. It's getting annoying.  

• Posted at:

~Amarok~

I KNOW RIGHT? PANGOLINS ARE AMAZING!

I don't think that dragons are part of any class known on Earth, but rather are part of their own class. They don't really fit in any known class.

The biggest evidence I have for this is the wings. No known vertebrates have six limbs, but between the forelegs, the hind legs, and the wings, dragons do. Evolving an extra pair of limbs is totally unprecedented among...pretty much anything, and it's definitely basis for a unique classification, assuming it's a whole species and not just one bizarrely mutated individual.

Breath weapons would also be precedent for a unique classification, I'd say.

I think about this a lot, TBH.

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Queen of Non SequiturBookwyrmsPangolinsand Bones

Trash Squad, WerewolfGASTER FOLLOWER

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

WoFMBer Dec. 2014-Mar. 2019

Someone once told me dragons could be a type of angel?

Someone else told me they're demons.

*shrugs*

WoF dragons could be mammals I suppose, except don't all mammals have some fur/hair on them?

Really old stories of dragons I don't think would be mammals though, because the ones I've read the most about were described as being like giant snakes. Sometimes with wings, sometimes without.

And their scales are slightly different in nearly every version I've seen, though mostly they seem to be really hard to cut/stab through.

I always thought they were reptiles, but mammal dragons is a kind of cool idea.

• Posted at:

J

cryptid

NUMBER ONE GEF FAN

idk anymore my dudes

here to yell about the Dalby Spook

I don't know... I always think reptile but you may be right, who knows?

• Posted at:

-INDIGO RAVEN-

Forum Sister

Slytherin

LGBTQ+

#Blizzbite

#Trindigo!

#Winterwatcher

See the line where the sky meets the sea, it calls me

#RememberTheLost-they're not forgotten

Be yourself there's no one better

#AcceptEveryone

We're Better Together!

No I Doubt they would be mammals. If anything it's Birds, but birds are reptiles. So yeah Dragons would still Reptiles.

• Posted at:

Basilisk

Ancient Queen of Snakes

Sovrano, Discord, Basil, Armonia, Beam

#RememberAngel

#Duality

#GvE

#Creativity

IceWings are cold blooded.

And I learned about mammals in kindergarten. They give milk to their young (Which dragons don't do), have life young (Which dragons don't do), and have fur (Which WoF dragons don't have).

So no, dragons aren't mammals.

• Posted at:

~Hootsie

-inactive as heck

-founder of GvE, great grandma of FWRPs

-will sometimes crawl out of my hidey hole

just. leave GvE alone. I'm sick of saying it

One of the few people who seems to realize that more than 6% of the world likes wolves

And reptiles are born from eggs which mammals aren't 

• Posted at:

I'm a part of the 6% that love Ōkami,

I'm a member of the dragon rp big shout out to kitty-dragon for making it, 

and if you don't know I'm rping as dune if you hadn't known before 

Dragons can't be mammals, unless they're part platypus. They lay eggs. I still believe they are reptiles.

• Posted at:

¤ Raven ¤

{She/Her/ET}

No one notices youtears

No one notices yousadness

No one notices youpains

But they all notice your

mistakes.  

I am a...

- Divergent

- Daughter of Hades  

- WindClan Warrior

- Narnian

@Basilisk

No, birds are a totally separate class from reptiles.

@Hootsie

IceWings couldn't be cold-blooded (the proper term is actually ectothermic). Otherwise they'd have to hibernate in the cold. All of the Pyrrhian dragons are clearly warm-blooded/endothermic.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

No, recently Birds are classified as Reptiles. Look it up.

• Posted at:

Basilisk

Ancient Queen of Snakes

#RememberAngel

#Duality

#GvE

#Creativity

Hmm. What's your source for this?

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

I have many sources, just look it up yourself. There is some complicated things like how different kind of Reptiles relate more to Birds than other classic Reptiles and others things and classifications that explain it that I would rather not type out on this tiny phone.

• Posted at:

Basilisk

Ancient Queen of Snakes

#RememberAngel

#Duality

#GvE

#Creativity

They don't have to be part platypus. If they were a NEW SPECIES they wouldn't have to be part anything.

and who knows? Their underscales or something could be hairy. We don't know. 

Technically they have seven limbs since they can move their tails enough to be called a limb.

• Posted at:

~Jade~

Queen of Loopholes, Insanity, and Theories

Princess of ellipsis and Grammar

Forever the universe

I joined August 13, 2015

Too soon did this spinning storm of delight leave us.

Too soon.

#RememberHurricane

I think dragon legends started up around dinosaur bones. I mean dragons are what? Giant scaled reptiles. What are dinosaurs? Giant scaled reptiles. I am sensing a theme. I don't know where wings came up but the aspect of large reptiles seems to be a them here. 

• Posted at:

~Wolfsparrow~

"I've been thinking..."

"And here I am without a pen or paper to record this momentous event." -Rangers Apprentice

Ohhhh, I did a project about this in 6th grade, actually.

So, dragon myths have popped up all over the anchient/not-totally-ancient world. Some people think it's because dragons did exist at one point :O

• Posted at:

•Darksea•

God bless you Lucy.

3Amigas

Yee

#Arkos

Dragons are near nothing like mammals. MoonWolf pointed out on another thread that it's not only the characteristics you can SEE, but also the ones you can't [as the animal is regularly], such as the organs, bones, and such. The way these are organized, or, in simpler terms, set up, can define how they are classified. How many vertebrae they have, too. I'm using another part of MoonWolf's point that she hasn't used here yet. And if the organs of the animal are symmetrical, it's called . . . MoonWolf, your call.

Also, dragons don't have bat wings. They look like bat wings, but they are almost nothing like the wings of a bat. The leather-set of most dragons' wing-webbing is much different from that of a bat, and, if you look closely, the membranes are set a bit differently, too. Also, the backsides of dragon wings are usually scaly, or a much thicker leather than the leather of the backsides of a bat's wings. So, in total, dragons don't have bat wings.

• Posted at:

I WILL NOT ACCEPT THE DOWNFALL OF MY HOME.

Post coming, but I wanted to add something.

@wolfsparrow: Wrong -- the assumptions about dinosaur bones being dragon bones were CAUSED by the dragon myths. These myths came millennia before the remains of dinosaurs were discovered. Dinosaur bones, in fact, only began to really pop up just around one or two thousand years ago. And they didn't come up with wings or anything -- Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and several other kinds of dragons have no wings. It came along later that dragons may appear better with wings, so more winged species began to pop up.

There. Bammo.

• Posted at:

Couldn't they be a whole new class?

• Posted at:

Keep going, friend :D! I believe in you!

'Goat like yelps'

-Hootsie

#SupportPeri

Basic psychology. Also I read a lot of memes.

I scream a lot!

@Future: It's called bilateral symmetry and is when an organisms organs are perfectly symmetrical. It is rarely found in more developed and evolved organisms and is more of for invertebrates, normally. (It's also one of the reasons that there are is more than one class of worms. Never understood that. Worms have two or more classes yet all the mammals are grouped into one class.). I'll admit the reason that I didn't bring anatomy into the argument was due to the fact that we don't know a lot about dragon anatomy so I couldn't give any conclusive or good evidence that would support what I was saying. That and the fact that some of the anatomy that is actually shown in the WoF universe makes no sense. For example, Icewings having blue blood? Yeah, no animal actually has blue looking blood when bleeding out (yes, I'm aware that blood is suppose to look blue when low on oxygen, but that never shows when something bleeds fresh blood. Icewings bleeding blue blood is an entirely new phenomenon that is undocumented in the animal kingdom.) Hmm, that actually gives evidence that dragons are in a class of their own....

@Ghost: Yes! Someone else agrees! That was what my entire lengthy argument that double posted boiled down to, that dragons would most likely be a new class that was closely related to reptiles. 

• Posted at:

~Amarok~

And it depends on what dragons you are referring to.

Some dragons, just snakes. Other dragons, just birds without feathers. 

Some dragons spit acid, others bend water.

If we are talking about just dragons, some are just snakes and lizards. But if we get specific like European or Chinese Dragons it gets more complicated.

• Posted at:

Basilisk

Ancient Queen of Snakes

#RememberAngel

#Duality

#GvE

#Creativity

Could they have evolved from dinosaurs?

• Posted at:

HELLO HUMANS!!!

Call me Nacht.

If darkness ever consumes you, search for the light, and you will find it.

Some people may say I'm insane. Listen to those people, they are absolutely correct.

The term dragon really is too loose to say dragons in general all evolved from dinosaurs.

• Posted at:

Basilisk

Ancient Queen of Snakes

#RememberAngel

#Duality

#GvE

#Creativity

Actually, blood is always blue. It changes to red when it hits the air.

• Posted at:

@Future: Yes, which is why blood turns red in the blood stream when oxygen hits it from the lungs. I mentioned that in my post (simplified, but I did mention it.) Red blood basically means that is has interacted with oxygen and has oxygen in it. This is why we technically have blue and red blood. The red is the blood that is transferring oxygen throughout the body because they got it from the lungs. The blue blood is blood that has no oxygen and therefore blue. Blue is the original color, it just becomes red when mixed with oxygen due to a reaction. I do know this stuff, I just don't always give a full explanation because I don't want to take hours to write an essay on one topic. 

• Posted at:

~Amarok~

Nobody has listened to me.

Like MoonWolf said, we don't know much about their insides, so that could mean hair somewhere else, suckph as under the scales. What if they have soft skin the scales protect? 

• Posted at:

~Jade~

Queen of Loopholes, Insanity, and Theories

Princess of ellipsis and Grammar

Forever the universe

I joined August 13, 2015

Too soon did this spinning storm of delight leave us.

Too soon.

#RememberHurricane

maybe they are mammal like reptiles like back in the ancient days/ dinosaur/before dinosaur

• Posted at:

Sirius

Goddess of speed and teleportation

i support #LGBTQ+

she/her

Pitbulls are dogs too!

Queen of grammar.

Why would there be fur under already protective scales? It's unnecessary. What would be the point?

Given what we know about dragons, they are mainly Reptiles unless we talk about the weird ones that hardly anyone registers as a dragon anyways. 

We cant just assume they all had fur just because you want to make them mammal like. Even then that doesn't automatically make them a mammal. Bugs have fur you know.

• Posted at:

Basilisk

Ancient Queen of Snakes

#RememberAngel

#Duality

#GvE

#Creativity

Dragons are reptiles, like birds. They're nothing like mammals, and saying their features are similar (But NOT the same!) to those of certain mammals is coincidence, not relation.

Also, I'm dragonkin, so I know a lot about what dragons are really like.

• Posted at:

*~Luna~*

Joined March 7 2015

PROUD!

-Bisexual-

Wiccan

Our opinions are not equal when your opinion does not respect my existence.