Do you like it/want me to continue?

C O A L  B L A C K

A Wings of Fire fanfiction by Spring

Prolouge

Queen Shadowbreaker was powerful. Possibly the most powerful queen in Pyrrhia. She lead the NightWings, a tribe shrouded in mystery, with an...interesting history. They had once been the weakest tribe, at least to some, but lately had been growing and growing, and many compared it to the old stories of the legendary Night Kingdom in the time of Darkstalker.

Shadowbreaker wasn't the friendliest queen, but she had a loyal following of dangerous idiots, and every dragon was too afraid to challenge her. She grew more and more powerful because of this, and the other tribes began to fear.

A powerful seer by the name of Brightthought was brought before the queen one day, shaking and fevery. The guards were merciless, and threw him down in front of the throne. Shadowbreaker looked down her nose at the seer, eyes cold. "What is the meaning of this?"

Before Brightthought had a chance to speak, one of the guards stepped forward, spitting out his words like rotten fish. "A prophecy, your majesty. Concerning you." 

The queen raised her eyebrows, and tilted her head. "Well," she said softly, "let's hear this...prophecy." She shifted, raising her snout slightly, and curled her talons over the edge of the throne, the jewelry she was wearing gleaming. It was as if the queen was showcasing her power. 

Brightthought looked arlund wildly, before gulping, and shakily looking at the queen. He spoke quietly, with a stammer. 

"A coal-black queen with a coal-black heart,

Will be given one chance.

Should she do the wrong thing, her downfall will be brought

By seven dragonets aged six.

Should the right thing be done, the queen will live long

She and her kingdom will be loved.

But, should her heart get ever darker

Andthe wrong choice is made...

Her death is the only thing in her future."

For a long, terrible moment, Shadowbreaker sat silently, unmoving. Then, she slowly slithered off the throne, until she was right in front of Brightthought. Without looking away, she spoke to the guards. "To the dungeons with him. Possibly execution, if I'm in a murderous mood later." 

Brightthought's eyes widened, and he scrabbled at the floor. "NO, PLEASE! I DIDN'T CHOOSE TO HAVE THE VISION, PLEASE!" He shrieked as the guards dug their talons into his wings and dragged him across the floor, howling incomprehensible things.

Shadowbreaker watched the whole thing, silent and unmoving. When she knew she was alone, she turned and paced the throne room, glaring down at the carpet. "Aged six, seven of them. Must be from each tribe. They'll destroy me, he says?" She let out a bark of laughter, seeming close to madness. "Ha! I'll show him, I won't let anything get in my way. It's simple. GUARDS!" She roared, whipping around to the entrance of the room. "I WANT A PARTY TO EVERY TRIBE! KILL EVERY FIVE AND SIX YEAR OLD DRAGONET! DON'T LET ANY ESCAPE!" 

The queen laughed again, watching her army stream past the door. "Destroy me, he said. Nothing can destroy Queen Shadowbreaker."

So, like it? It'll get more interesting later, I promise. I think you'll like my favourite, but we'll see.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

<~Spring~>

PLUVIOPHILE (n) A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Im a nostalgic kiddo I can’t change my signature help

Oh, this is lovely! I do hope you continue it. It shall be interesting.

Farewell.

Trigonometry.

• Posted at:

math squad

Trigonometry "Trig" 

Geometry 

Fraction 

calcu.lus-- calc  

combinatorics/combo 

Algebra 

Arithmetic

Bookmark! Looks interesting.

• Posted at:

❅Unique❅

Queen of Negativity

"I'm not mean, I'm just annoyingly honest."

SUNSET'S MENTOR

Little salt ball in the corner

Thanks, both of you! I've got the next chapter completely planned out...

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

PLUVIOPHILE (n) A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Poor, genre-ignorant Shadowbreaker. If someone gives a prophecy saying you'll die if you're evil, killing more people isn't helpful.

I'll be interested to see where this goes...

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Queen of Non SequiturBookwyrmsPangolinsand Bones

Trash Squad, WerewolfGASTER FOLLOWER

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

WoFMBer Dec. 2014-Mar. 2019

Thanks! The next chapter will probably be out tomorrow. Hopefully.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Chapter One

Six years before the prologue 

Starsight was fleeing the Night Kingdom, her unhatched dragonet clutched in her talons. Why was she fleeing? She'd had a vision. A vision where her dragonet, a beautiful female happily grown up in the kingdom, was brutally murdered in front of her mother's very eyes.

Starsight had been flying for four days, doing something extremely odd for her kind. She had been flying by day, and resting by night, in order to avoid being seen by Shadowbreaker's army.

Starsight was now over rocky hills and tall trees. Exhausted, and seeing that the sun was going down, she flew to the ground. She put her egg in a clump of sheltered ferns, and walked a little ways away, looking for something she could eat. Little did she know, there was something not so friendly to dragons in that area, and she was walking right toward it.

A scavenger den, and a big one. They had seen the dragon approaching, and now, watching it walking toward them, had sprung to the defence. Poor Starsight never had a chance. The first wave of long-distance weapons pierced her wings, making her unable to fly. The second, her head and neck. The third, there again, but this time with fatal consequences. Starsight was dead.

A party of scavengers rushed forward to examine the dragon. Sketches were drawn, scales were taken, and they looked over this strange type of dragon they'd never seen before. Her silver scales were taken first, and each scavenger took one of it's own, as a trophy. 

After getting his own scale, a fully grown male scavenger walked toward the ferns where he'd seen the dragon do something. He pushed the undergrowth aside, and stood there, gazing down at what he'd found. An egg.

The scavenger waited until the others were gone, then fetched a cart, and somehow managed to get the egg inside. He considered giving it to the king, but remembered his son, who was obsessed with dragons, and brought it home instead. It would make an interesting pet, or, of that was not possible, at least be useful for research.

Sorry it's so short. What do you think? Next one will probably be out later today, I've got tons of inspiration for this!

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Nice! I like the idea of a dragonet being raised by scavengers.

Farewell.

Trigonometry.

• Posted at:

math squad

Trigonometry "Trig" 

Geometry 

Fraction 

calcu.lus-- calc  

combinatorics/combo 

Algebra 

Arithmetic

Chapter Two

A few days after Shadowbreaker's order

Tidal's P.O.V.

Prince Tidal never thought he was special, until the day of the animus test. Now his parents treated him like...well, a god wouldn't be the way to put it. Really, they just made sure he stayed in their sight, and did the things they wanted him to do. He had no free will of his own, so when the NightWings came, demanding every five and six year old dragonet in the kingdom of the sea (and they'd know if we didn't give them every one,) or there would be war, it was almost a relief. He could make his escape, and there would be so much chaos, no one would notice!

So, Tidal was now making his way across the ocean, deep down in the darker parts so he wasn't seen. No one would suspect that he fled, they'd all assume the NightWings got to him. He grinned: it was perfect. He could finally be his own dragon, start his own life, do whatever he wa-

Tidal abruptly smacked into a whale, his neck twisting painfully. AGH! Are you kidding me? The whale let out a squeaky groan, before swimming away. Tidal sighed. How far had he gone already? 

He shook himself self and kept swimming. How long had it been since he started? Hours? Days? No, not days. He would be much more tired. Either way, this was getting boring as heck. He decided to swim to the surface, just to see where he was. 

As Tidal's head broke the surface of the water, he spied a rocky island up ahead. Great, a resting point. He was beginning to wish he'd studied harder in geography, then he'd know where he was. It'd be nice to have a map on him. Just my luck.

Tidal sighed again and swam toward the island, beginning to notice the ache in his limbs. He suddenly stopped, and grinned. I'm an animus. Why don't I just enchant something to teleport me to the mainland? 

He swam faster, eager to carry out his new plan. He grabbed the first rock he could find, and thought hard. How about I make it so I can teleport anywhere I choose, instead of just a one time thing? Or, who ever is touching it can teleport wherever they choose, that way I can bring friends. If I get any, that is... 

So, he spoke the words: "I enchant this rock so that if anyone touches it, they can speak the name of a place in Pyrrhia, and be instantly taken there." There, that was pretty good. Now to see if it worked. "Take me to the beach bordering the kingdom of the sea on the mainland." 

Darkness. Tidal had just enough time to wonder if he somehow messed up the spell, before he was blinded by the sun reflecting off the sand. The sand... IT WORKED! He was at the beach! This might be the most useful thing ever enchanted! I'm the smartest dragon in Pyrrhia! He could go anywhere, do anything! He cheered, and flew to the copse of trees nearby, already thinking of what he could enchant next. 

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

That's awesome!!

• Posted at:

calytrix~

you could call me caly too, i guess

bisexual

kind of like if tony stark and loki had a child 

hates turtles 

slytherin//entp

you know time crawls on when you're waiting for the song to start, so dance alone to the beat of your heart

Thanks!

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

poke

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Oh my moons, Spring! This is a great fanfic! I can`1t wait to read more!! Keep up the good work!!

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

♫ QueeoScrollanLibraries ♫

~<>~ ”To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” ~Aristotle ~<>~

Thanks, Silverskies!

I was out all day, so I couldn't write any more, but I'll get try to the next chapter out later tonight or tomorrow.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Chapter Three

A week after Shadowbreaker's order

Feather's P.O.V.

Feather quietly slid into a small crevice in the mountainside, making sure to cover her tracks with her tail. She crept along, not daring to breath. After what seemed like hours, the tunnel opened up, and an entrance to a cave yawned out of the gloom. 

Feather let let out a tiny puff of fire, barely illuminating the cave mouth. She jumped when a small voice asked "Who's there?" Then sighed. "Talon, don't go asking 'who's there.' What if I had been a NightWing?"

A small, dark orange dragon appeared, lighting the torches in the cave entrance with a few breaths of fire. "Well, sorry. You and mum and dad had been gone for ages." He blinked, worried eyes staring up at Feather's. "Nothing bad happened to them, right?" 

Feather didn't answer, and pushed past her little brother, trying to hide her worry. Their parents had been gone for hours, and they'd said they'd be back before nightfall. It was growing darker every second, and they still weren't here. Feather walked slowly to her sleeping cave. It had been a long day.

Talon scampered after his sister, but not before putting out the torch lights. He bounced at Feather's side, jabbering endlessly. "What do you think they're bringing home for supper? Where do you think they went? Where did you go, Feather?"

Feather sighed, ignoring her brother. Mom and dad had better get home soon...

Suddenly, light flooded out from the cave entrance. Feather whipped around, relief coursing through her. Talon yelped and ran into the entrance cave, calling happily. "Mum, dad!" But his happy call was replaced by a fearful squawk. Feather gasped, and rushed forward, but stopped when a deep voice echoed from the entrance cave. She breathed heavily, terrified. NightWings. Here. They've got Talon.

"How old are you, SkyWing?" The NightWing growled. There was a pause, before the NightWing spoke again. "Two. Do you have any siblings?" Another pause. "A six year old, eh? Let's deal with that, shall we?" 

Feather whimpered, and turned around, running down the tunnel. Of course, a mind reader. I know there's an escape way somewhere...somewhere. She felt the tunnel floor, and allmost welp with relief when her talons sank into a squishy material. She tore the cover away, and leaped down the pit, hitting a hard stone floor. The last thing she heard before she raced away to freedom was a high pitched squeal, quickly cut off, and a deep voice saying "That was a waste of our time."

Feather kept running, but felt numb. Talon...they got Talon. He's gone. They murdered an innocent dragonet... a powerful fury swept over her, and she had to suppress a roar of rage. I'll kill them all. Kill them. That'll teach them to kill my brother.

Sorry if this chapter isn't so well written. The next will be better, I promise.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

This is so amazing! Great job!

• Posted at:

Nimbus

“Don't Kill, and don't be killed.” -Asriel Dreemur

Complete Nerd

Ravenclaw

Shape-shifter

Christian

"Knowledge is a precious resource; Preserve it at all costs."

Thanks, Nimbus!

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

I can imagine smoke just billowing out of Feather's mouth as she runs away..

• Posted at:

;; Archangel ;;

~ life is so short, why waste it? ~

~ the universe is in your bones, the stars in your soul, it's never really the end ~

~ close your eyes and open your mind ~

~ the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow ~

This is really good! I can't wait for more. 

• Posted at:

SPIRIT

Queen of Curiosity

You want weapons? Were in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!the Doctor

Ravenclaw

sort of active

you have no control who lives, who dies, who tells your story

#Remember Hurricane

I'll get the next chapter out some time today.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

OOOOOOH this is brilliant 

• Posted at:

calytrix~

bisexual

hates turtles 

slytherin//entp

you know time crawls on when you're waiting for the song to start, so dance alone to the beat of your heart

That was good! I mean the writing, not Talon being killed. Anyway, I have a question. How can the NightWings just march into the other kingdoms and demand all the six and seven year old dragonets? I mean, sure, you said that the NightWings were powerful, but the other tribes are as well. So why aren`t the NightWing envoys who are demanding all the dragonets from each tribe being sent away or killed? Just a question.

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

~<>~ ”To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” ~Aristotle ~<>~

Chapter Four

A week after Shadowbreaker's order

Quail's P.O.V.

Quail was a bigwings, and when the NightWings came to the Mud Kingdom, demanding every five or six year old dragonet, she knew what she had to do.

So now Quail was running quickly through the evergreen forest, behind her brothers and sisters, making sure they were safe. She couldn't lose them...she couldn't. If the NightWings so much as touch them... she shook herself and kept going, glancing behind her every once and a while.

"Quail?" A voice piped up. "Yeah, Juniper?" Quail asked quietly. "When are we going to rest? I'm tired." 

Quail frowned. "We need to keep going, we need to get out of the Mud Kingdom. We need to be safe. I'm sorry, but you understand, right? I can't lose you." She heard Juniper whimper. "My talons hurt." 

Quail sighed, feeling terrible. "I...here. You can ride on my back, okay?" She walked quicker, stopping so her small sister could climb onto her. Juniper flopped onto Quail's back happily. "Thanks." 

Quail smiled. "All in a bigwing's work." She then started up again, making sure her other siblings were still in front of her.

"Pine?"

"Here!"

"Heron?"

"Here!"

"Crocodile?"

"Here."

Quail sighed. All good. Now we just need to make it to the mountains. Then we'll rest, and carry on to the Rain Kingdom... She suddenly stopped dead. "Guys, stop." Was that...? She strained her ears, listening closely. There it was again, she wasn't hearing things. Wingbeats.

"Down!" She whispered, as loud as she dared. She threw Juniper off of her and hid her under her wing, holding her breath. Please don't be NightWings...please please... 

"Did you hear that?" A voice said through the trees. Dark shapes thudded down amongst the pine needles, silver scales glinting in the faint moonlight. Quail's heart stopped. GO BY GO BY GO BY DON'T CHECK THE AREA...

"Yeah, actually. Do you think...runaways?" A second voice, female. The first dragon spoke again. "Better check the area." The two NightWings started forward, walking in the direction of Quail and her siblings.

Quail felt like she was falling from a huge height. We're done for. No, they could fight...right? Five MudWings versus two NightWings? They'd win...but the NightWings were fully grown, trained soldiers...Quail felt her heart sink. They were dead, for sure. I can still save Juniper, Heron, Pine, and Croc, though. I'll hold the NightWings off while they run. 

So, when the NightWings were close enough to touch, Quail launched herself up, smacking into their chests. The soldiers were so shocked, they made not a noise, but fell backward easily. "GO!" Quail yelled smacking one of the NightWing's in the head with her tail. She heard rustling and thumping noises as her siblings fled, not daring to disobey Quail's order. They're safe.

The male NightWing shook himself, and opened his jaws, releasing a ball of fire. Quail yelped, and sprang back. Now, she knew she was done for. Her, a six year old dragonet, against two fully grown, trained NightWings. 

The female soldier came to her senses, and leaped up, grabbing Quail and throwing her back. "GOT 'EM!" The NightWing crowed, her talons digging into Quail's shoulders. 

As Quail felt all hope leave her, a brown shape flew forward, hitting the female NightWing and knocking her back. The male soldier yelped, and rushed forward, grabbing the shape and throwing it against a tree. Quail gasped.

It was Juniper.

"QUAIL!" The dragonet called weakly, but she couldn't make another noise, as the female NightWing let out an angry roar and charged forward, sinking her talons into Juniper's neck, and killing her.

Quail staggered, her world crashing down around her. Juniper...Juniper...you IDIOT...and now you're DEAD...and it's MY FAULT...

The NightWings occupied, Quail turned and stumbled away, not noticing as the sky grew lighter, and the NightWings flew out of the trees, back to their kingdom. They'd continue searching another day.

Quail had no idea if her other siblings were safe. Had they not noticed Juniper leaving them? Now...now...

Quail was alone.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Well, really, it's because the tribes are stupid. They could easily all join together and attack the NightWings, but they're all so suspicious and stuff of each other, it doesn't even cross their minds. 

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Oh, and another factor is that the NightWings are about twice the size of all the other tribes, and have the best army in Pyrrhia. The queens don't want war with them.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Wow! Queen Shadowbreaker means business! But if she continues the course she`s on, then the prophecy part of seven dragonets will definitely come true!! I really like the action in it!  

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

* Laughs * Yep, hat makes sense! Thanks for clearing things up, Spring! 

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

Yep, when it all comes down to it, it's the tribes own anger towards each other that's bringing their downfall.

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

* Nods * Totally!

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

poking this~

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

*Slams down fist* MOAR

• Posted at:

❅Unique❅

Queen of Negativity

"I'm not mean, I'm just annoyingly honest."

SUNSET'S MENTOR

Little salt ball in the corner

AHHH THANK YOU~ 

Working on the next chapter!

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Bookmark! I need to finish this later. :'D

• Posted at:

Juniper

*still trying to open the pickle jar*

poking this again.

next chapter coming up!

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

nO

MY THING DELETED

NO

THE WHOLE CHAPTERR

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Great chapter!

(My computer sometimes dies while I'm writing stuff and then I lose all my work. It's a hastle.)

• Posted at:

SPIRIT

Queen of Curiosity

You want weapons? Were in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!the Doctor

Ravenclaw

sort of active

you have no control who lives, who dies, who tells your story

#Remember Hurricane

I really do need more. 

• Posted at:

calytrix~

bisexual

hates turtles 

slytherin//entp

Ugh I have to re-write the whole chapter nowww

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

Don`t worry, I`ll be patient. Although it`s absolute torture!!

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

CREPE I NEED TO WRITE THE NEXT CHAPTER

• Posted at:

<~Spring~>

#Ravenclawpride

#Noflameinthelibrary

#RememberTheLost

LightSPIDER

1 ,