[AKA just a thread for Poppy to ramble and unsuccessfully attempt to develop her idea] (also, I'm watchin y'all... this idea probably isn't worthy of being stolen, but still... *insert eyes emoji*)

No idea what they'd be called. 

PoolWings, DeepWings, ShockWings, BoltWings, VoltWings? The first two are just generally watery names, but DeepWings reminds me of deep-fried chicken wings.  ShockWings and BoltWings both sound kinda stupid, and idk if I'm smart enough to create a tribe called VoltWings because then I might have to go into more detail about what they know about electricity and voltage.  PoolWings just sounds meh.

But anyways, I'm thinking they'd be able to hold their breath for a really long time instead of breathing underwater, but I don't know if that's just kinda pointless.  They could be a sort of amphibious tribe (eh not really amphibious but more like... sea snakes? I guess?).  However, if they could hold their breath for a really long time, they'd likely have much higher levels of hemoglobin, and their flesh/blood could look black at first sight but it's really just a super dark red and that would be pretty awesome.  (WAIT, headcanon time: MudWings have black blood yeaaaaah)

I kinda just wanna make an overall creepy tribe and electric eels are pretty creepy.  Except I'm worried they'll just turn into the SeaWings' creepy cousins that no one wants to invite to Thanksgiving but they're the Vodka Aunt's child so you gotta suck it up and do it...

Other tribe ideas: SteppeWings/MoorWings, GlenWings/GardenWings, StoneWings/QuarryWings.  And SpiceWings??? I have no idea when or why I got that idea but I found it in my notes and now I'm actually considering making cute little spice-themed dragons.

Ugh now I gotta do some extensive research on sea snakes and electric fish.

(I'm so proud of myself tho this is the first fantribe idea I've had in a while that I actually like)

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

~ Poppy ~

"The Biggest Flex Anyone Will Ever Have Is Dying"

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

"the SeaWings' creepy cousins that no one wants to invite to Thanksgiving but they're the Vodka Aunt's child so you gotta suck it up and do it..."

First of all

That was beautiful

I want that to happen.

Second of all, perhaps EelWings? SO CREATIVE, I KNOW. SparkWings? ShockWings?

• Posted at:

I’m Bengal and I’m sorry

Hello! I am: 

-The owner of GGaD(/327460)

-Queen of Fictional Crushes

-Bisexual and proud

-A (bad) writer

-Dragonkin

Keep scrolling and have a great day, my dude!

I love the idea and the way you worded your post XD

Let's see, Shockwings sounds pretty cool to me, Torrentwings, Swirlwings, Ebbwings, Slitherwings

• Posted at:

ENCHANTED 

SHE/HER ‖ PAN ACE   

❦  

DECOMPOSING WOLF FANGS --- x 63

POWDERY MOONLIGHT --- x 2131g

HALF A HUMAN --- x 1

SUMMONING 101

I had some random dragons I created, a couple of which were Spicewings 

They all had the colouring of their spice and smelt like it 

• Posted at:

-=-Call me Athena-=-

Farewell, and may you have the best possible opportunities and life. Maybe I'll be back someday, but for now I just want to say thank you for everything.

#RememberHurricane

*rereads post* Oh boy, how many times do I use "just", "but", informal contractions, and excessive lettering? Bad habit alert, I have to make my casual style of writing less annoying D:

And thanks!  TorrentWings, EelWings, and EbbWings all sound good, I'll keep those in mind.

Also, Athena, that's really cool.  I'll make sure not to steal your idea XD

*strokes imaginary beard* Hm, I really should make GardenWings instead of SpiceWings and they can all be named after flowers, herbs, spices, and vegetables.  

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Random notes time! I'm going to call them EelWings for now because it's easier, actual tribe name TBD:

- EelWings don't smell with their noses because they hunt underwater, and you can't really sniff underwater (well, I think some rodents do, but I'll just ignore them for now)

- They smell with their forked tongues, and have cute puppy mouths like snakes so they can do their cute snake-tongue-flick thing

- They happen to have a freakishly good sense of smell (like sharks, or salmon).  The other tribes are a little freaked out by that (assuming I have the motivation to create more fantribes)

- However, if I decide to make them able to breathe underwater, then they probably wouldn't need forked tongues, and would be able to sniff underwater like sharks

- I also have to decide whether they live in saltwater or freshwater, still water or running water, and that'll affect their tribe name if I don't name them after their electrogenicity

- Most likely freshwater because originality

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

I think electric eels are freshwater, so it'd make sense if the EelWings were. And they like calm water rather than running water.

This is a really cool fantribe IMO.

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Forum Royal Scientist

I think, therefore I can't sleep. Philosophy, y'all.

WEREWOLPRIDE

TLH Reread: /336256

This is an amazing idea, Poppy

I absolutely love it

The extensive research will definitely pay off

:D good luck!

• Posted at:

what about us? what about all the broken happy ever afters?

#RememberTheLost

cindering, one of the lost

Thanks, everyone! Nice to know this isn't a bad idea :D

- I take it back, they won't be creepy.  More like spoopy in a nice way.

Design ideas:

- Very sleek and streamlined, smooth flat heads, backswept horns

- Big round pale fishy eyes (Luna Lovegood eyes)

- BIG lungs

- Their nostrils are on the top/front of their snouts (yeah, I probably won't make them underwater breathers)

- Scales are mostly dark, matte grays, but with flashes of bright shiny colors at the edges (like arapaima)

- Also, bright mottled edging on the wings is one way of recognizing a dragon, no one has the same pattern as someone else

- Or maybe all of their scales are pretty and iridescent

- So, seals have high levels of hemoglobin AND myoglobin--I think that myoglobin is more effective at binding oxygen and sending it to the muscles.  Hemoglobin just sounds like it's worse at everything...? But also binds oxygen to RBCs.

- God it's been more than a years since I studied the respiratory system, I don't wanna do this again

- Seals force blood to their brains and heart when they dive, meaning their muscles don't recieve as much blood, and that's when the myoglobin comes in

- Seals also hyperventilate before diving, to replenish their body's oxygen supply, but also empty most of the air out of their lungs to decrease buoyancy

- Turtles and seals can tolerate higher amounts of lactic acid (lucky them, that stuff HURTS)

- Some turtles can... breathe through their butts? Yeah, not happening.

Things to research later:

- Black ghost knife fish

- Ampullary organs

- Cutaneous respiration

- Electric catfish and rays

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

ooh

• Posted at:

I hope you will permit

Grif

Assigned Korekiyo Kin 

Relatable Duo 

This crooked little grin

- Theme song is obviously Electric Feel by MGMT

- Electric eels live in the Amazon and Orinoco river basins, but I think EelWings will live in subtropical to temperate zones.

- Urgh, I really don't want them to turn into the SeaWings' creepy cousins... I gotta make them ORIGINAL

- They could live in beaver dam type things, with underwater entrances but abovewater everything else

- I'll let them hold their breath for, let's see... ten hours? They could spend most of their day underwater and sleep on land

- Most urban design would have to be on land, then

- Is that pointless?

- Possibly nomadic... aquatic nomads, that would be cool.  But maybe not.

Yikes, I should really organize this on a form... but TOO MANY CHOICES THAT I HAVEN'T MADE. What do I name them? Air breathers, or air breathers AND water breathers? Subtropical or temperate? Settled or nomadic? To be or not to be? 

I think I'll hunt down that super long tribe form, then edit it to be nice and concise. 

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Aha, I know, they can live in floating villages like Cua Van, or maybe stilted houses like Tai O.  And there can be huge awesome lumpy karst mountains in the background.

Along with producing electricity (electrogenic), they can sense electric fields (electroreceptive) and use it for electrolocation and communication.  So, their underwater mode of communication is weak electric charges, like Aquatic for SeaWings.  Much less specific, only basic meanings-- "Danger", "Prey located", "I come in peace", "Get off me lawn"

(eh... but does bioelectrogenesis make sense for a tribe that doesn't spend its entire life underwater? It's only useful in the water, really.  I don't know how they would have evolved to have it.  And as far as I know, electric fish are the only animals with bioelectrogenesis)

And they have cool fins like SeaWings; and big, laterally compressed tails, with even cooler fins.

Scars turn silver, so dragons with lots of silver scales are either a) fearsome and respected warriors or b) very unfortunate.

Their wings are kind of shaped like flying fish wings, sort of semi-ovals.  No "thumb", and the phalanges don't protrude out of the membrane nearly as much as the other tribes. 

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
  • Posted at:

Sanetra

Do you hear the Whisper Men

The Whisper Men are near

If you hear the Whisper Men

Then turn away your ear

tCC signup /340513

Reach me at /272727

Amigos

eurekaDarkseaBearBlackberryVertigoLectorGulfyCaleoZodiakTS

Oh wait! I totally forgot that platypi and echidnas are electroreceptive.

*takes that as a pass to do whatever I want with their zappy powers*

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

THIS IS SO COOL

• Posted at:

spookytimes are coming

Y'all are too nice, I'm blushing o3o

except I don't blush at all in real life whoops

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Alright, I finished editing my version of Hydra's awesome form, because I'm far too lazy to do the entire thing. Now all I have to do is *sob* fill it out.

Idea: Someone should fill out the longest version of Hydra's form for each of the tribes, and count how many sections they were forced to leave blank because we don't know nearly as much info about the canon tribes XD

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

The name of the continent they live on should be some kind of antonym to "Pyrrhic", a victory that wasn't worth it.

Derived from Pyrrhus.

Apparently the dude that lost to Pyrrhus was named Laevinus, so I could make a name out of that.

Laevinia? That's a real name, though.

Laevinea? How would you even pronounce that? La-VIN-ee-uh? LAY-vin-ee-uh?

Laevinus is derived from Laevus.  Laevia? Laevea?

Although another site says the correct opposite would be derived from Mus, another dude who got defeated by Pyrrhus.

Musa? Mura?

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Eh

I wanted to finish this, but I guess I'll just have to wait until I get back from sleepaway camp :P

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

adjfskgshldl I still gotta finish these

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Omg I stayed up until 4:30 researching typing up an enormous post and then I accidentally closed the tab and lost everything.... why did I sacrifice my sleep and probably a few inches of my height (which is already in jeopardy)? I HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW.

Anyways, this is basically what I was going to write:

---

EelWings aren't strictly freshwater, mostly because of the EelWing version of urbanization: Used to live only in residential communities on lakes and rivers, but as commercialized fishing slowly started to become a thing, a significant minority of the tribe eventually came to settle in coastal areas because of more space and fish populations.  Technology also advanced a bit more in those areas, so dealing with availability of potable water is easier.  So now mostly residential communities on freshwater, and more industrial/commercial settlements on saltwater.  (unless I give their continent/queendom/whatever a huge main lake like Tanganyika or something, that would be enough to sustain a lot more than a few fishing villages)

----

I gotta come up with a good continent name.  I don't like Musa or Mura that much.  Something like Pangea or Gondwana.  Those names are just so vast and majestic, y'know?

---

So I think they're gonna live in a subtropical-to-tropical climate, maybe a mix of Southeast Asia and Africa.  Dry season and rainy season, possibly monsoons.  Floating villages would be fine during flooding, all the dragons would have to do is give some more slack the chains that moor their bamboo/wood rafts to the land, and they would rise along with the water level.  So would stilted villages, because stilts.  Houses built directly on seaside cliffs... I'm not sure how they would fare during extreme weather.  But I'm still tempted to give EelWings houses like those pretty little squashed-together coastal villages in Italy.

---

I was planning on giving them the ability to stun or kill their prey instantly, but that would be a Problem.  Electric eels are significantly smaller than dragons, and they can stun humans and even kill a fruggin horse if touching it.  So EelWings would be zapping or possibly killing friends left and right while hunting underwater.  However, apparently electric eels don't shock themselves or each other, but they do spasm out of water because the electricity can't dissipate through the air and instead travels along their wet skin.  I don't understand???? How dey do dat???? Would it be unacceptably lazy to say "EelWings are immune to each other's shocks just because" and leave it at that?

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Call the continent Pheretima. It's a genus of earthworm, according to Google. Also, for a tribe name... ElectroTails.

• Posted at:

NIX 

A Cooler than you A

Depressed

⏦ Furry trash 

⚭ Camp Camp trash

⁂ Catholic

⟐ Bi

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

test

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

I just got around to reading this, and it's really good! I wish I still had some of my knowledge about electric eels, because they were my favourite animal when I was a small child.

• Posted at:

Clever, A Very Clevery Guy

♦ he/him ♦ intj-a ♦ stressed but well-dressed  ♦

♦ irrelevancy + machinations available /333261 ♦

♦ resident loremaster of gnomeo & juliet arcana ♦

ashgldfjafjdfgljgh of course I decided to stay up until 1:00 again and try to submit a huge post while the glitch was happening.

Anyways, thanks for the ideas, Nix! Idk if I'll use a real word for the continent but I'll keep Pheretima in mind because that sounds super cool.

Also, thanks Clever! Electric eels actually really scared me when I was a little kid XD their blank little eyes were just so creepy...

Alright, so I filled out a bunch of the form and I'm feeling productive for once (even though this is just my original dragon tribe and not actual work that I should be doing… eh whatever this is fun), I elaborated on a ton of stuff about anatomy and the extent of their powers, and I also have a big list of PoolWing names (yeah, I think I'm going to call them PoolWings.  Does that sound appropriate? Does it make people think of natural bodies of stillwater, or chlorinated swimming pools?).

I kind of want to give them cool flowy feelers/barbels/whatever they're called, but I'm not sure where to put them.  I don't want to give them catfish kinda mustaches, because that would look silly.  Maybe under their ears/on their jaw? They'd be kind of useless but they would look cool, so....

I think for the creation myth, it'll be about how a deity was molding the first PoolWings out of silt and clay by the water, while another carved StoneWings/QuarryWings out of stone (I'm already working on another tribe? you bet I am).  But then lightning struck the water and got, like… trapped in the PoolWings' bodies or whatever.

I should make a new thread for StoneWings/QuarryWings.  Also, FYI: I had an account before this but I only had it for a month or so before forgetting about it (I think is was sleepysparrow and then some numbers) so I just made this account a while later and started over because I was kind of annoying on that account anyways XD
My point is, I posted about StoneWings on that account too so if my ideas seem suspiciously similar to something you've seen before, DO NOT FEAR! I'm not plagiarising, that was also me.

And this is really random, but tbh BBC nature documentaries are the literal best.  They remind me of being a little kid and why I want to become a biologist so badly.  They're just…. so amazing? Like… the cinnamontography? The music? BEAUTIFUL??? I love animals so much they're wonderful.

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

CINNAMONTOGRAPHY

• Posted at:

ehehehehehe

(Just to be clear, I'm aware it's "cinematography".  I don't want people to think I'm an idiot, lol)

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

NATURE DOCUMENTARIESSSSS

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Forum Royal Scientist

I think, therefore I can't sleep. Philosophy, y'all.

WEREWOLPRIDE

TLH Reread: /336256

Moray eels are... actually kind of cute.  I like their little heads.  

Except I learned that they have a second set of jaws that pops out of their throat and grabs the food from their first mouth and pulls it down the throat like some horrifying robot claw toy because their heads are too tiny to swallow properly.

... reminds me of that one monster from Monsters Inc. that had another monster for his tongue and it kept taking his food before he could eat it.  

I also looked up "seal eyes" to see whether there would be any helpful articles about their eyeball anatomy and how they see underwater but nooo, there's just some nightmare inducing closeups on Google Images.  They literally DON'T HAVE PUPILS.  I mean they do, but they can contract so much that it's not even a normal slit like a cat--the pupil just... closes up.  Why does it do that? What's the point?? Wth???

---

They could be called "MereWings", mere being a literary term for pond or lake, but it's a little too obscure for my liking. People might also assume it's "mere" as in "merest" or "merely".  

I drew a picture of a PoolWing and it looks great and I gave them a cool round fanlike fins on either side of their jaw/under their ears, and from the front it makes them look a little like axolotls, but they also look too much like RainWings.  Even though the fin isn't even in the same place.  Sigh.

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

They'd usually be arriving inside their houses sopping wet, which I'm pretty sure would rot the wood. Apparently teak is very rot-resistant, and it grows in Southeast Asia, which is perfect, but it would only last so long. The real thing that causes rot is getting the wood waterlogged and then letting it dry again. Which could be happening a lot. I could just cheat and make up some kind of oil from some kind of tree on their continent that completely waterproofs wood (like tung oil but better) (and makes it really SHINY and nice). After all, there are exploding cacti in Pyrrhia. I don't think waterproof tree oil is too far-fetched.

I feel like it should be possible to take apart and rebuild the houses, just in case something happens. Living on top of water isn't as secure as living on land with a foundation, obviously. Not as mobile as nomadic homes, though, because the dragons don't plan on moving. Like one of those flatpack houses. When a house is first being built, the raft, individual walls, and roof are built under cover from the elements so that the materials don't get ruined before they can be assembled. Then they use the oil finish to waterproof everything, and THEN they bring the sections to the actual location. They moor the raft to shore, then assemble the house on top and float it onto the lake. They get the chains that attach their homes to land from the Stone/QuarryWings, mostly. There are PoolWing smiths, but StoneWings are generally better equipped for mining and such.

---

I have no idea how population works... WoF tribe populations seem unusually small for entire species', numbering only in the thousands. I looked up "Nile crocodile population size" and it's 250,000-500,000. PoolWings are very big predators and I know they have smaller populations than prey because the environment can't sustain too many. Being bigger than crocodiles, PoolWings may have a smaller population. 100,000-200,000? And I'm even more clueless about how birth and mortality rates would work.

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Dragons aren't advanced enough to really understand electrical currents and action potential and all that, so the bioelectricity that PoolWings can sense is seen as the life-force in all living creatures.  Because PoolWings have enough "life-force" to actually zap stuff with it, the crotchety racist ones may say that they're higher (or more favored by the gods) than other animals, who can't even control their life-force--including StoneWings.  The other PoolWings are like "that's stupid cuz eels can zap stuff too and they sure as heck aren't 'higher' than dragons."

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

...developing this tribe is kind of pointless but honestly so fun at the same time.  Idk what I’ll do with them when I’m done but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Oops forgot to work on these

I’m still not sure what the tribe name should be.  What are people’s thoughts on the name “PoolWings”?

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

I think PoolWings is a good name.

• Posted at:

uh "VoltWings" might be slightly questionable because "Volt" is from Volta as in Alessandro Volta's surname but that derives from the latin root "Volt" which is like "to turn around" or something but then you have the similar derivatives "volar/voler/whatever else romance language verb" that means "to fly" so VoltWings would basically be zappy electricity dragons that constantly turn around and also, uhh,, fly

• Posted at:

Cyclone

(formerly/perhaps still known as Em)

I think I've only read up until Book Eight whoops

As my name indicates, I'm secretly a low pressure rotatey thing also I like puns

wait darn that was late lol

• Posted at:

Cyclone

(formerly/perhaps still known as Em)

I think I've only read up until Book Eight whoops

As my name indicates, I'm secretly a low pressure rotatey thing also I like puns

OKAY

so I’m not entirely sure what they should look like.

Long and low to the ground kind of like SeaWings, snake snoots, and little ruffles/fins right under their ears, and long barbels in front of those.  Scales are like fish scales.  

I think their main scale scale color is going to be gray/silver and maybe sometimes brown, and their underbellies/fins can be colored/patterned/tinged with red, pink, orange, yellow, white, black, brown, dull green. So like, mostly gray with colorful accents.

Markings can come in patterns like spots, stripes, mottled, ombré, patches, etc., limited to only some parts of their body, not all over.  Just... think of patterns you might see on fish, okay?

And of course, there are dragons without any remarkable patterns or markings. Most of them just have a solid base color and then maybe different colored fins and underbelly.

why is this so hard to describe ugh

I think it would be cool if melanistic and piebald dragons weren’t that rare, and there’s a tricolor calico type morph that sometimes pops up and looks like a koi fish.  

An idea of some kind of lucky figurine popped into my head, I’m not sure how, but I imagined little dragon statuettes with tiny shells for scales.  Or QuarryWings might have lucky statuettes with tiny gold coins for scales.  They would be like the waving lucky cat figurines. I should come up with some lore for them.  

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

I made a nice little table in the google doc about their electricity levels and whatever

I feel accomplished

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Also I'm like

still unsatisfied with the whole housing situation

I mean floating houses are cool and all but what did they live in before they were advanced enough to build houses? Maybe riverside dens like an otter holt but I don't think that would work for such a big animal.  Maybe just out in the open or half-submerged like crocodiles.  OR perhaps solitary adults sleep in the open and family groups dig out dens so that their dragonets are safer.  I guess dens could work.

And did I already mention the chinampas? I think chinampas would be cool for them to have.

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

Hm. Nice theory. I thought it was a GrassWing. It's a SilkWing. (. IDC how old or new or if it's just a Thoery.)

• Posted at:

♮°-Atbash-°♮ ::He/They/Ae::

Pilot of the Red Lion

§Bi/Ace§Bass Clarinet Player§

Atbash.Exe is going inactive

Fandoms: Warriors, Voltron, Steven Universe & Gravity Falls

Trans•Ranty-venty mess•Nerd

1 ,