What can I say, who isn't-- well, you might not, but I personally love watching the ball drop for New Year's. 

I'm in full pajamas, which is probably hilarious to some, considering that I'm twenty-nine. I'm wearing an oversized, dark green sweater, with long, white sleeves and lime green trim. There are emerald leaf designs on my sweater, and I'm also wearing faded red shorts, with red and cyan mismatched socks that are actually really large, as they go up to my thighs. My black hair isn't a mess yet, as I'm far from going to bed. It's even still tied up in a ponytail. (I have long hair.) I look at my spouse next to me, trying to see if they fell asleep. Nope. Their amber eyes are wide open. I guess even she's excited for New Year's. (They go by she/her and they/them.) They'd look as if they're asleep, if her wide open eyes didn't give it away. I mean, they never sleep with open eyes. Her hair's usually tied back, but not now. It does have two indigo streaks. Most of it is brown. Their hair's not quite shoulder-length. They're wearing the blue nightgown I gave them for Christmas, with Angry Birds Star Wars fleece pants. She's barefoot, unlike me. 

I look at my watch. 11:59 p.m. Still December 31, 2017.

I turn on my Kindle, find the channel that the ball drop is on, and click on it. My blue headphones are in. (They're earbuds.) I give the one in my right ear to my girlfriend, who takes it.

I check my watch again as the announcer announces the drop. (Very redundant of me to say "announce" a lot, I know.) I check my watch again. 10 seconds until 1:15 the New Year. 

As the ball falls, I take a swift glance as the countdown occurs. My spouse's face is filled with glee. They almost look crazy, in this lighting. 

A thought hit me for one second, but the ball and my spouse's voice distracted me.

"Five more seconds," she said in a voice that had so much excitement it was shaking. I lifted my hand to surprise her with a touch to the shoulder. "Four, three, two, one."

The ball had fallen. You could hear the cheering even without headphones. I know because I pulled mine out, and I could still hear it pretty well. It still catches me off guard. I got up, like my spouse did, and as they punched the air, I tapped them on the shoulder. They stopped and turned to me. It's clear that the excitement would not leave.

"Fluorite," I said. That was their name. I think it's a pretty one, personally. "Seriously, don't wake either of them up if they're asleep.""

Fluorite, without a word, ran silently to the basement, where we were hiding her first birthday gift. She came up, grinning excitedly, and we walked up the stairs to her room, where I opened the door.

"Ayako?" I asked her name softly.

I looked at the girl on the bed. She was under a silvery blue blanket, wearing an orange oversized sweater. Her hair she'd apparently left tied back. She's facedown on her sky blue pillow. She's definitely asleep.

This is our daughter, Ayako. Today's her birthday: January 1. She's turning 12 this year. 

"Leaf? Mom?" A voice behind us questions.

I whirl around with a jolt. Our nonbinary child, Kenny, who's about two inches shorter than myself (I'm 5'9) and fourteen years old, is behind me. I'm known as Leaf, it's a nickname for my love of leaves (don't ask), and Fluorite is just Mom.

Kenny has brown hair, just like Fluorite, and they're wearing a dark blue sweater (we love sweaters xD) and similar colored shorts. 

"What are you doing here?" they ask. "Wishing Ayako a happy birthday and New Year?"

I nod. "We have this gift for her that we wanted to give--"

"Same! I was going to give it to her in the morning, though."

The three of us looked in the room. Kenny smiled warmly. Fluorite also seemed calm now.

"Happy Birthday, Ayako," I whispered.

"And Happy New Year," Fluorite added.

Kenny didn't say anything, just kept smiling. They don't usually talk when they feel everything's been said.

Fluorite closed the door quietly.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Diana

they/them pronouns

Forum Adoptive Sister!

My OCs! (currently working on an original story)

guys my favorite color is red. :D

Why was this released THREE HOURS after I posted this?

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Diana

they/them pronouns

Forum Adoptive Sister!

My OCs! (currently working on an original story)

guys my favorite color is red. :D