- GET. A PLANNER. I don't care if it's digital (I have one by Literatous on my iPad) or paper. Just get a planner. Digital are easier to manage, while paper

doesn't have a battery life. This is SO. IMPORTANT. It helps when you map out characters, backstories, morals, even appearances. I manage a lot of books with a planner and it helps. 

- Okay, common misconceptions people make when writing:

- When people s-s-tutt-ter, i-it's n-not l-l-like thi-s-s. It’s...it's more like...more like this...where characters...characters repeat themselves...repeat themselves...a lot. 

- Children don’t speak like "Do you wike her?" They can actually pronounce words properly. If they don’t know the proper term, they come up with words and point. A lot. They don’t use proper grammar sometimes. I can guarantee it. (Example: "Is you Carrie?" Or "I are pilot!"). 

- back to normal stuff

- RESEARCH. IF THEY HAVE PTSD, FIND OUT SYMPTOMS. ADHD? MAKE SURE YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT. ANXIETY? SYMPTOMS SYMPTOMS SYMPTOMS. 

okay and that’s the end of my advice post your own

i have learned this all over years and wanted to show it to you

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

{causing chaos since 2018 | trying to become active}

(also the creator of diamond bay)

- If a character is laughing, don’t do this: He laughed. "Ha ha ha," He chuckled. 

THAT WAS CLOSE TO A LEGITMATE EXCERPT FROM TWILIGHT 

- don’t use a character to explain everything (no walls of backstory speech)

- dreams and waking up are the two ways not to go for a story

- action will draw the readers in instead of the main character's routine

have an excerpt from my works:

EARLY VERSION:

The daylight wafting through the weathered rafters was patterned onto the unstable wood flooring of my shack. The hazy (and almost dead) clock perched on my nightstand read “9:37”. Best thing about being a rough? You're not high enough on the food chain to go to school.
I stretched as I sat up in my oversized t-shirt upon my sack-and-cloth-on-a-platform bed. My "nightstand" next to the bed was really a sheet of wood drilled at a ninety degree angle into the wall with books stacked so high it brushed the tree planted inside my room. Not that it was a real tree, of course. No one's seen a real tree in years.

NEW VERSON:

I exhaled sharply as the official's gun shot right next to my head, chunking off a piece of my gnarled brown hair. "Do you MIND?!" I exclaimed as I swung the cloth sack over my shoulder. "I'm trying to let my family survive here!"
The official's scowl just grew worse. "You Roughs never had a family and never will. If you think you have one, you're delusional."
I screamed in exasperation. "You guys are the worst at moral boosting," I groaned. "Anyhoo, gotta run! It was fun doing this—" I paused for a second to read his nametag "—Jameson! We should do it again sometime soon, m'kay?"
And with that, I leaped on top of the dumpster and scaled the fire escape to reach the rooftops.

Which one one would you say is more interesting? I would say the bottom one for sure. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

- Make sure your characters have positive and negative qualities. Unbalanced characters ain’t good. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

bookmark

• Posted at:

Jadeseeker

{Genderfluid!}

Beauty comes in all forms. It's not just external; it's internal as well. - Alessia Cara

Margay Scattering Auburn Cottontail Gyrfalcon Distance Darkwatcher

mark o' the book

• Posted at:

eureka

moved to @thankfulthunderstorm1 :D

Tell me what you think of this, I wrote it a while back and forgot about it.

Darva drew his blade, Krukoslik unsheathed his axe from his belt and wiped his brow. Dredgelings, those who couldn't brave the journey through the gulch to Boletaria, rose from the sand with their previous lives ornaments. Distilian knights with shining armor stained with blood.

One pulled up a spear from beside him, others began making use of their weapons, jabbing rusted swords and ancient halberds. The first one to charge was tripped by Krukoslik’s axe. The rest closed in slowly, staying in a formation. Darva narrowly avoided a stab from a nearby spear. Krukoslik grabbed hold Darva’s kite shield and threw it into the nearest Dredgeling, Darva went down with his shield and the corpse.

“Run!”

Darva stumbled upwards, dropping his only defense besides his plate armor. He could hear the clinking of the Dredgeling’s own decrepit armor behind him, Krukoslik sprinted beside him and shoved him around a corner of the ravine, a single figure stood in their way. Darva rushed forward and stabbed the Dredgeling in between it’s exposed ribs and sliced upward, his royally emblazoned sword cut through the Dredgeling’s weathered bones and separated it's weapon arm from it’s torso. Krukoslik shoved it to the side and beckoned Darva forward. More of the desecrated corpses rose from their resting places around the walls of the ravine as they exited the accursed place.

The Dredgelings stopped at the edge of the massive walls separating the gulch and the Boletarian Desert, staring forever onward with hollowed out eye-sockets. Krukoslik dropped into a rest, fumbling for his waterskin. Darva sheathed his blade and reposed near him, looking back at what could have been their grave.

• Posted at:

C O R V U S

Author of the Lost Library

Him/he

Where is everyone?

Where am I?

I smell smoke, hear fire.

I hope this isn't what i think it is...

@Corvus Throws around too many terms the reader isn't familiar with, which makes it difficult to follow. 

• Posted at:

>)(<Crimson>)(< 

Son of Justice

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

El Amigo

Please just be okay...

Foolizh autocoreect

THANK YOU it always bugged me when people wr-wrote  ch-characters l-l-like that when they’re nervous or stuttering. Also when people are having a bad dream and they bolt upright.... no one does that.  No one immediately sits up right as they’re waking up.

• Posted at:

~ Poppy ~

"The Biggest Flex Anyone Will Ever Have Is Dying"

SIGNATURE WORK AHEAD

bookmark

• Posted at:

loading candy.exe...

i look at myself and say

that i will be happy

loading data, please wait...

joined 1/5/2016

star count: 2573

homethread location: /322526

- *screams softly* NEW PARAGRAPH WHEN NEW SPEAKER

- NEW PARAGRAPH WHEN NEW LOCATION

- NEW PARAGRAPH WHEN NEW TIME

- NEW PARAGRAPH WHEN NEW CHARACTER

- music is okay just don’t do paragraphs of lyrics

- "I'm so sick of this!" He yelled, thrusting his hands downwards. "PEOPLE DON'T NEED TO WRITE LIKE THIS TO EXPRESS YELLING! The OCCASIONAL capitalization of words is OKAY, but THIS?! THIS IS NOT OKAY!"

- don’t use very good, very bad, very tasty, very cold. Use splendid, horrendous, scrumptious, or freezing. 

- YOUR THESAURUS IS THERE FOR A REASON. Seriously. Look up the word you want to use, and it'll come up with a bunch more synonyms.

- You don’t need to fully describe the character's outfit using paragraphs and paragraphs. It won’t affect the plot, I can tell you that. 

- Your character can’t win every battle. They have to be believable. 

- "Would I like this person in real life?" Ask yourself this when writing your characters. 

((holy cow fourteen stars thanks everybody))

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

- Make the faceless characters memorable. If you plan on using them later on it helps. 

- AVOID COPYRIGHT PROBLEMS

- First person? You can’t describe how the main character's best friend feels. 

- hey if anyone wants I’ll review some writing they did *shrugs* I’m not that great but I can give basic advice

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

- Don’t use terms early on in the book that you haven’t explained

- just...just don’t 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

I always keep in mind that sometimes subverted rules make for a good story. Which rules to subvert is the question, and you'd need to practice the rule before deciding to break it

I guess I'm just trying to be better about writing in general. My current way of doing that is getting myself involved in rp's. I think I have a problem with over-describing characters; I think in pictures, and I really want others to see what I see, but I often can't find the right words. As a result, descriptions become longer since concise words are missing

I also have a problem with sentence variety and sticking to a tense.

I should really use a thesaurus definitely

• Posted at:

|| ENCHANTED ||

A secret place for me and you

Where everyday was fun and new

A simple time played in our heads

Well tell this story again

Refreshing, isnt it?

Lets breathe the air, try not to cry

Its time to say our goodbyes

@Enchanted

bro I relate to this on a personal level. My friends and I used to take turns writing chapters for stories. It was a good way to practice, so you should maybe try it too? Also if you look hard enough there are websites that help when you can’t find the right word

- every character doesn’t sound the same, give them a vocal tick

- character’s can’t be super skinny and wield a massive, muscle-requiring weapon while retaining a slim figure. muscles aren’t bad, you know. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

Yep! Build is important. With that in mind, I wonder if I should give Kanon a larger upper body with all the screaming and piano playing she does and is going to do 

• Posted at:

|| ENCHANTED ||

Refreshing, isnt it?

Wow, that is going to help alot when I write for fun. Thanks for the tips! I will try my best to use them!

• Posted at:

ʀʊռɛ

She Her Timelord

➻ Triplet with Time and Tiger

➻ Definitely not Swampy

➻ Creator of CC

Technically, good times don't ever end. We'll always remember them.

242 Pages of Posts

6877+ Stars 

no prob swamp (can I call you swamp?), happy to help. I’ll give advice if you need some any time

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

((Guys I have 245 Stars now thanks to this))

((tysm))

- MAKE A PLAYLIST FOR WRITING. OR USE BUZZFEED'S. Make a playlist for each genre: Dystopian, Fantasy, Fiction, Realistic Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, I don’t care. Use this playlist by clicking shuffle, closing your eyes, and imagine what that song looks like. You're bound to get inspiration. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

I have no creativity if I'm not listening to music, I need something to build off of. 

Also, there's a difference to something being a good idea and actually making it a reality. Sometimes your ideas don't work out, and that's perfectly okay!

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

@Ishmael

PREACH

- it's okay to gain inspiration off of someone else's work, it is never okay to plagiarize. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

Could you tell me what you think of this, be honest so I know what to exactly fix. I've been writing since I was little and I just want to get way better at it.

The lights went out in the room, I couldn't see anything but white fog rolling in through the open door that was now open.  Heavy breathing now filled the pitch black room and a silent shiver went up my spine. 

"Who...who's there?" I would quickly open my nightstand's drawer and clutched a yellow flashlight in my right hand. 

My windows shutters started to pound back and forth against the glass behind it and I jumped back onto my bed, covering my head and body with my purple blanket. 

This is just a nightmare Kara, don't be scared. You'll wake up any minute now..

I tried comforting myself with my inner thoughts until the room went quiet. I started to let out a sigh of relief until I heard a low Creeeeek.. on my wooden plank floor. A rush of chilly air blew into my bed room and went to my direction, making my feet and hands feel like ice. My breathing was shaky and scarce and all I did was close my eyes hoping I would wake up soon to a sunny morning with the smell of pancakes coming from downstairs.

• Posted at:

ᴛoffee

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ

ᴏʙsᴇssɪᴠᴇ sʜɪᴘᴘᴇʀ & ʟᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴏғ ʙᴏʙᴀ

ᴘʀᴏᴜᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴏғ ʙʜ/ᴅʙ

ᴊᴀᴅᴇ, ɪғ ɪ’ᴍ ᴀ ᴡᴀʟɴᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟᴍᴏɴᴅ.”

”I’M A WALNUT WITH PASSION.”

Marine’s a Banan

Spoopy Child

- when you make a race for your characters, DEVELOP EVERY LAST DETAIL. IT HELPS. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

@Toffee

dont worry I didn’t ignore this I had lag :”)

paragraph 1, sentence 1 is a run on sentence. separate that into two at the comma. 

okay, so in the new sentence 2 in paragraph 1 is a little long. "The white fog obscured everything else, pouring out of my opened door." Would be a better fit (or something along those lines). 

Is this a reaction story, as if you were given a prompt? Otherwise, you wouldn’t need to use "Would" in this. 

Some of these sentence almost use too much description. If you're aiming to send chills down the reader's spine, you could probably shorten some things. 

this is all my opinion, I am not a professional, and I hope I helped somehow :’0

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

Ok so I want to try writing something impromptu to see where I am now

give me a random prompt? Or I could try someone GGaD related

• Posted at:

|| ENCHANTED ||

Refreshing, isnt it?

@Enchanted

(your character is Male for this)

You've been traveling with your supposedly gay battle partner who you accumulated three villages ago, on a quest for the princess locked in the tower, but that "he"...is a She. 

((Actually a plot for a comedy I want to write lol))

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

@Starry

Ah, thank youuuu! :D

• Posted at:

ᴛoffee

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ

ᴏʙsᴇssɪᴠᴇ sʜɪᴘᴘᴇʀ & ʟᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴏғ ʙᴏʙᴀ

ᴘʀᴏᴜᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴏғ ʙʜ/ᴅʙ

ᴊᴀᴅᴇ, ɪғ ɪ’ᴍ ᴀ ᴡᴀʟɴᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟᴍᴏɴᴅ.”

”I’M A WALNUT WITH PASSION.”

Marine’s a Banan

Spoopy Child

@Toffee

no problem! Let me know if you want any more advice

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

- *screams softly* You DO NOT need to give more than a page describing scenery!

- Make sure you have a notes-writing app on your phone (if you have one). If inspiration smacks you in the face while you're on the metro or in the middle of a seminar, just WRITE IT DOWN. Except for the seminar, actually. I think that's considered rude if you start writing on your phone. 

- CHARACTER SHEETS ARE EVERYTHING. Make a generic one and use it for your characters. It helps an intense amount. 

- Want to write a good ship? Make it a slow-burn. Give them time to warm up to each other, let them grow to love the other person. This isn’t "love at first sight", you know. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

sdfghjkl bless the world needs more people like you

if it's alright, could you critique this? I'm self taught and really don't know how or what to improve on

A golden flower. What’s the first thing that comes to one’s mind when hearing these words? Shimmering petals, dancing in the breeze, maybe even their great aunt’s garden who she treasured more than her own family.

It wouldn’t be an immediate rush of cold and heat, a feeling of your mind numbing, shivering and trying to forget but can’t.

It happened when she was exactly five and a quarter.

She always went into the meadow beside their cottage with her father, her only parent. Her mother had disappeared. She didn’t know how. Ambriel Wood, her father, had told her that she was someone who loved to explore.

He’d said she couldn’t stand being stagnant anymore.

Sylvia didn’t understand that, but the one thing she did was that she most certainly did not want to follow her mother’s example.

She didn’t, in the end, but that wasn’t for the better.

It was around afternoon, when the sun was at its highest, looking its invisible nose down at mortals. It was around the time most children would’ve come back from school, flopping on their beds and yelling to their parents for lunch.

That wasn’t for Sylvia.

After her mother left, Sylvia’s father pulled her out of school. (Was he paranoid she, too, would leave? Sylvia would think years later,) He taught her, yes, but simple things like the names of plants. A year after being pulled out of school, Sylvia remembered the names of all plants in the meadow where they lived by heart, how they looked, their smell, and to some extent, their uses.

It wasn’t useful, though. Sylvia didn’t know of any flowers that could reverse effects.

They’d go out every afternoon, looking for some specific flower,  butterfly, tree, anything. Today, Sylvia decided she wanted to look for everything yellow, from ochre to pale gold. They couldn’t find any butterflies at the moment, so they decided to resort to flowers.

And there it was, a golden flower, gleaming proudly against the sun’s rays, screaming, look at me, come here, look at me.

And she did.

Stupid Five Year Old Sylvia made her way up to the flower, her father, panting and gasping and trying to keep up with a five year old following.

“It’s so pretty!” She declared.

“Very,” He agreed.

asdfghjl I hope it's not too long! 

• Posted at:

v i n e 

you find some way to survive

and you find out you don't have to be happy at all

to be happy you're alive

they / them

ahhh I’m not a professional but here we go

Paragraph 1, Sentence 4 seems a tad like a run-on. Maybe divide that at the part of "an immediate rush of cold heat." Use a period there instead of a comma?

Paragraph 3, the phrase in parantheses. Those aren’t necessary to the story at this point. You could pull it out. 

Paragraph 4, sentence 4. You could rearrange "look at me, come here, look at me!" to "come here, look at me!" The last "look at me" isn’t quite necessary. 

Paragraph 4, sentence 8. You could add some action in after she declared what she said (example: "It's so pretty!" She declared, examining the flower with bursting interest.)

You could always remove long pieces of detail if you wanted. Although, you did a pretty awesome job of painting an image in my mind. You're doing great!

If you have a Pinterest, you should go on there and look up Writing Toolbox boards. It helps a lot, trust me! 

apologies if this wasn't the advice you were looking for, I am not a professional. your story is great! keep working hard *hugs, or air hug if you do not like physical contact*

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

I don't want to steal a plot from you, but ig I'll give it a shot after I come home from school

• Posted at:

|| ENCHANTED ||

Refreshing, isnt it?

OH WAIT LET ME GIVE YOU A DIFFERENT ONE THEN

On your way home from work, you plug in your earbuds to listen to music. Suddenly, a random playlist starts going. Now, everything that is said in the lyrics is slowly becoming true.

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

:0 can I use a real song?

• Posted at:

|| ENCHANTED ||

Refreshing, isnt it?

@Enchanted

yesyes, go ahead :D

- INSPIRATION IS EVERYWHERE. seriously. Come up with stories for the people that pass by, daydream when you look out the car window. Fantasize about your fiction universes so much that you feel like it's part of the real world. 

- If somebody plagiarizes your story, stay calm and tell your parents. I've had this happen (some of you know that) by a frenemy (we're no longer friends). - PLAGIARISIM IS NOT. OKAY. EVER. 

- seriously. 

- You can get inspiration from other stories, but not so much that it seems like it's a crude spin-off. 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

Being a terrible writer, I need this XD

• Posted at:

bluedolphin8423

CHRISTIAN!

^ These two have been and will be up here till the day we're gone.

LUPA 2647

February or July 2015 – March 2019

the forum nostalgia pile

remember the lost. that's what matters.

ClerilisaFRUIT

Toasteril

balegu

you're not terrible (even though I’ve never read anything you wrote :0 )! you just need time and practice, and to devote yourself and rewrite rewrite rewrite. 

- looking at memes is a yes and a no for ideas

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

- The girl laughed as she picked up her soda. "You see," she said, fiddling with her straw, "Inbetween sentences, it doesn’t have to just be '___ said'. It can include action too!"

- The room was dank with the moist scent of mold. The boy scowled from the corner, frowning upon your struggling self. "You're nothing without a description," he said as he flipped the cap off of the g*n. "Yet, you still need to restrain from over-exaggerating."

whup more stuff 

I love writing 

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

I love this thread. 

Bookmark!

• Posted at:

Choco-Minty (She/Her)

(my apologies if that's hard to read)

Call me Choco, call me Minty - I don't mind

"Happiness is here today; gone tomorrow."

I won't be all that active, my apologies once again

"Smiles go for miles!"

This is sorta late but research is very important

If you think you're over reasearching, don't worry. You can't ever do too much research. Aim for realism instead of brandishing your creative license at your readers

• Posted at:

owo Xenon owo

@Xenon

correctamundo, research is VERY IMPORTANT. if you can’t tell by my "RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH" from earlier, I like research. 

- collaborative writing is a lot of fun. even roleplaying helps. and it all counts as practice!

- can any of y'all explain what a bookmark is to me

• Posted at:

Oh No, It's Riri

Hello, hello

I need you here

Alone I wait

Will you appear?

1 , , 3