(Signups for this story at /322073)

Chapter One

The sky was crystal clear, the stereotypical sun beaming down onto the city. Even for mid-autumn, the sun was pouring down it’s warmth.

“Hello again, residents of Earth-22! The time is 8:45 AM, and the temperature is 65 degrees Fahrenheit, which will drop to a shocking temperature of 40 tonight. Don’t forget to get to your assigned job position for the day!”

The digital billboards continued to loop this video every 5 minutes, with the time changing each time, obviously. Whoever the woman was in that video, she clearly wasn’t being paid enough. 

The bustling crowds of monotonous, matching suits brushed against each other, frantically trying to board the next train ride to their job. Kids were already outside of their schools, frolicking in the sunlight, for school did not start till precisely 9 AM. 

Ah, yes, the streets were free of trash and ruffians, for there was no acceptance for such menial things. In fact, if you were seen skipping school, in the very least, you’d serve a day in solitary school — which, trust me, you do not want to be in. Such simple crimes for a large punishment? No one is even near willing to risk it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riri kept her eyes glued to the ground as her muddy, scuffed-up boots crunched upon the gray gravel that lined the outlandish sidewalks beneath the train system. She kept her hands locked upon her backpack straps, her hood drawn over her hair, obscuring the mess that it was. The only time she would release the straps would be to feel for her phone for the eightieth time in the day. It was the only thing with her fighting schedule on it, after all. And fighting happened to be particularly important to her. 

With a subtle sigh, Riri tromped through the stones, wet from last night's rain, and trudged to a loosened sewer lid. Feeling for her phone in her front pocket one last time, she looked both ways before she lifted the metal cover and quickly slid under. 

The light, of course, from the overworld, immediately slipped away. The darkness was consuming at first, but the crack! heard from where Riri presumably was signaled that she was still there — and had a neon blue glowstick. In that small portion of time, she had scaled down a large ladder and readjusted her backpack, landing on a concrete walkway, the dirty water flowing by below. 

Riri hastily walked along the rectangular block of stone, avoiding the gushing, dark sewer water as best as she could. The only time she paused was to step up to a wall and push in a brick. The brick caused the other matching building materials to slide away and form a passage. A secret passage, to be exact. 

Brandishing her fluorescent tube of liquid in hand, Riri walked through the passageway, watching the light at the end of the tunnel grow brighter and brighter, her grin slowly growing wider and wider. Who wouldn’t be happy? Compared to Earth-22, Beat seemed like Utopia. 

The neon city greeted her with beaming hot pinks and cyans, the extreme lighting shooting color upon Riri's face. The gravel from before was nonexistent, this time, the ground being replaced with smooth, black pavement, with spray paint of multiple colors blasted across the streets. The sleek, silver buildings reached the seemingly endless roof — this world WAS magic, after all.  

Houses were scattered among roads, fitted where the owners pleased, and community centers were placed everywhere. And, of course, dollar stores and grocery stores lined a good amount of boulevards. Children could be seen here and there (the homeschooled ones, of course), and parents seemed happier as they left to their jobs. No hurried rush. No concerned looks. Just...serenity. 

The pride and joy of the underground civilization could be seen from the entrance. Pulsing with music, flashing and flaring multiple colors of lights. The explosions could be heard from there. 

The name of this legendary place?

Rhythm Access. 

Riri grinned as she broke into a jog, letting down her hoodie and smoothing her knotted, cyan hair (to no avail). Soon enough, a set of footsteps matched her own pace. 

"Heya, Riri," a girl said from next to her. The girl's brown locks bounced as she ran, her glasses obscured by her boxy glasses. Her black cat ears flicked with attention to each explosion and loud noise, her cat tail waving as she ran. "Excited for today's round? I've heard you're in a Rhythm Flow with MJ. Electro Swing round?"

Riri grinned, finally letting go over her bookbag straps as she started to put more effort into her running. "You bet I am, Toffee. I'm hyped for the fights today, too. Hey, aren’t I up against you today as well?"

Toffee nodded. "Prepare to lose, silly."

"I don’t think that's gonna happen."

"Well, if they're playing Grape Soda for our round, you're absolutely dead."

"Pfft, as if."

"We'll see, silly."

Riri wore a happy smile as she started to slow down. They had started to approach the entrance to the stadium already. "Hey, do you know if Sarae is up at the front today?"

Toffee shrugged, slowing down and brushing off her tulle skirt and straightening her pink sweatshirt. "Who knows, she is kinda an enigma."

Riri nodded as the duo approached the front. A young woman was asleep in the front, the booth where people counted their attendance so they were registered for the battle. The woman had dirty blonde, on the verge of brown hair, and the color of her eyes couldn’t be seen with them being shut tightly (she was dozing, what can I say.)

Toffee tapped the window, her eyebrows knitting together. "Sarae? Saaarraaaeee!"

Sarae jolted awake, her eyes shining. "Wha-? Oh, fighters! Right. Let's get you all registered up...hey, you two are Toffee and Riri." 

Sarae tapped the computer behind her to life, flicking across numerous buttons, and printing out two wristbands: one a pastel pink and the other a bright turquoise. "Have fun, kiddos."

Riri grinned as she yanked Toffee in the front door and whipped out her phone. "Ooh, it's the Electro Swing segment first, which is me and Mockingjay. After that, it's you against Bixy in the Pop segment. Then it's Future Bass, which is me and you. There are a few more before that..."

Toffee grinned. "I'm gonna beat Bixy."

Riri shook her head. "Dude, you've seen Bixy fight. She's intense."

"I'm intense too!"

"Intense as a chipmunk on caffeine."

"Hey, I’m a little offended..."

"Dude, that's intense squared. That was a compliment."

"Oh. Okay then!"

Riri laughed and shook her head as she walked over to the prep room. "I'll see you soon, mmkay?"

Toffee nodded as she headed in the opposite direction. "I'll cheer you on!"

Riri death-glared Toffee. "You better. By the way...whoever loses the Future Bass segment is paying for boba later."

Toffee's eyes seemed to gleam. "...you're on."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crowd was already pulsing with excitement, cheers rabid. Mockingjay sighed as she sat behind the scenes, rolling up her hoodie's sleeves. A Rhythm Flow round...how lucky. 

Her breathing was steady as she fiddled with the water bottle in her hands. She already knew the song she was fighting to, she knew it by heart. Mighty by Caravan Palace, a catchy song in fact. 

MJ tapped her Vans sneakers to steady herself with the beat. One-hundred twenty four beats per minute, to be absolutely precise. After all, precision was key in this situation. 

Precision could win her a thousand dollars. 

There was no nervous lump in MJ's throat. None at all. She wasn't nervous, she never was. Focusing on training was a large portion of her life. And making friends...that's a little harder. 

The claps of the crowd outside slowly grew louder, matching up to MJ's foot-tapping. 

It's time. 

MJ dusted off her pants as a method of collecting herself, placing her cool, calm expression upon her face once again. Unsheathing her katana, MJ walked out of her preparation room and onto the lower part of the stadium. 

The massive stage could already be seen, the bulletproof glass shining brightly. The patterns for the rhythm game were completely randomized. There was no mastering technique to it. Fate and good tempo were your only friends in this competition. 

MJ launched herself onto the platform, where Riri stood, her scythe expanded and readied. Riri had a innocent grin on, almost creepily innocent. Her sweatshirt had been ditched back in the preparation room, her faintly muscular arms wrapped in tape. 

The stadium announcer's voice was loud and bold. "Goooooood evening, ladies and gentlemen, races of all kinds! My name is...well, my name isn't important. Welcome to the first event of the day, the Electro Swing battle! 

"Introducing our first and returning competitor, Mockingjay, or MJ for short! The queen of cold kills, her unofficial title. Why, her gaze gives me shivers!"

"And our second and also returning competitor, Riri! The Rhythm Flow Maniac! How on earth does she hit the notes that fast?"

"Now folks, the rules are simple. First one to miss twenty notes and have their health bar disappear loses! Riri, you're turquoise and MJ, you're orange. Ready?"

Riri shrugged with her silly grin, sliding her scythe into a comfortable fighting position. "Ready as I'll ever be."

MJ swung her katana down into a readied stance, spacing her feet. "Ready."

The voice chirped back up as the music faded in. "3, 2, 1, begin!"

The notes started to light up on the floor, in a simple pattern. 1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4. The clapping from the actual music was enhanced by the crowd, clapping along in time. 

"Get into what they call a jumping mood, you know what I mean by a jumping mood? Well, we just can't miss," the lyrics practically shouted. The crowd was so loud, the music had to be amplified. 

Riri started to swing her scythe back and forth, in a flashy manner. MJ just held hers tight, hopping from note to note. 

The notes suddenly made a drastic change, lurching forwards. MJ, immediately sensing the advantage, lurched forwards and aimed for a hit. Unfortunately, Riri dodged in time, but it caused her to lose a note. The song was slowly growing more complex. 

Riri lunged at MJ with her scythe, swinging it in a broad stroke while tapping her feet on each and every note. With one hand, she lowered herself onto the ground and completely swung the scythe under her feet, knocking MJ off of her balance. MJ missed a note, her health now matching Riri's. 

"Oh, and they've already begun to lose health! Better watch out, girls!" The announcer cried, already bubbling with excitement. 

MJ gritted her teeth, continuing to tap to the beat and lunge jabs at Riri. Each Riri dodged, but her shirt had a few noticeable holes. "Nice coffee grinder you pulled there. You a barista or something?” MJ asked, sarcasm lacing her voice.

Riri rose her eyebrows with amusement as she swung the scythe again, missing. "Nah."

MJ jabbed the katana at Riri, causing her to fall on her feet. Riri lost three notes, but quickly got back up and continued to tap. 

The exchange went on for a while, each girl occasionally throwing in a witty comment. The two continued to throw relentless blows at each other, the success of the hits surprisingly high. 

The last 30 seconds of the song had quickly approached. Riri's health was painfully low and MJ's was moderate. Riri pulled her scythe in a broad swing again, the sweat visible on her face as she knocked down MJ. Riri looked happy, energetic. 

MJ retained her cold glare, jabbing at Riri and knocking her down repeatedly. Riri only lost more and more health, but the two happened to even up with their health bar.

With a determined face, Riri gripped firmly onto the scythe, yanked it up, and threw the blade straight for MJ. It knocked the determined fighter onto the ground, but the force of the swing knocked her onto the ground at the same time. 

The song ended. 

"It's...it's a tie?!" The announcer exclaimed in pure shock. "Wow, haven't seen one of these in a while! Well, you two girls each get two fifty, howabout that?"

Riri shrugged, getting back onto her feet, extending her calloused hand for a handshake. "Money is money. Hey, good game!"

MJ knotted her brows together. "...you too. The money is fine."

Riri showed no conflict upon shaking MJ's hand. "Hope to battle you soon."

"You too."

With a large exhale, Riri departed from the stage, where Toffee promptly tackled her. 

"You were great!!" Toffee exclaimed with a wide grin. "Omg, you were just...fantastic! I loved it!"

Riri laughed. "I tied. Haven't done that in a while."

MJ was greeted by no one as she entered the prep room and promptly exited. A tie, huh...

Toffee beamed. "I'm up against Bixy next, wish me luck!"

Forumers mentioned in order: Riri, Mockingjay, Toffee, Bixbite

Forumers who will hopefully be part of Chapter 2: Nyx, Ishmael, Summer, Confidence

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

I’ll say goodbye to this drama

and make-believe

That i’ve been playing this whole time

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

(; we are a arm now #firstdingut

That went through quick.

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

OwO 

Starry this is gr8 m8

• Posted at:

necro(mancer).

she/her/they/them pronouns

lowkey obsessed with aesthetics  

Creativity Corp, an organization- /340640

tanku kindly (^///^) i'll try to have another chapter out soon!

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

Ayeee

Also how old are most of the people in Rhythm Access?

• Posted at:

NYX

smol spoopy demon child

Hi it’s me

Zie/Zer Pronouns

Slytherin Pride

LGBTQA+

”And while we stay silent, we’re violently tossed.”Big Fish

“Lord what fools these mortals be!”A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Usually it's a young majority, the most popular ages ranging from 12-17. It's not uncommon to see a 10 or 11 year old in there.

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

okay! Thank you!

• Posted at:

NYX

smol spoopy demon child

Hi it’s me

Zie/Zer Pronouns

Slytherin Pride

LGBTQA+

”And while we stay silent, we’re violently tossed.”Big Fish

“Lord what fools these mortals be!”A Midsummer Night’s Dream

*claps*

tHIS BE AWESOME

Now I really want to participate in a game of real rhythm access :D

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE NEXT PART!!! ^_^

• Posted at:

Specter

[Bixbite][She/they/baka]

❀❀❀❀❀

#CCfam

❀❀❀❀❀

Playing happy melodies

under the glowing moon

❀❀❀❀❀

A thousand cherry blossoms,

Dwindling in the light...

❀❀❀❀❀

Spring aesthetic

Ahhhhhhh

• Posted at:

۩۞۩

I S H M A E L

•۩۞۩

•۩۞۩

i love it. 

• Posted at:

:;Atbash;: He/Him/They/Them

Demiboy/Questioning

[Atheist][Nerd]

A e s t h e t i c

Pumpkin spice is the best flavor  

sTrEsS oof

#RememberFuture

#RememberTS

Remember the Lost

THIS IS AWESOMEEEE!!!!!!!

I NEVER CLICKED ON A THREAD SO FAST.

NOW IM GONNA READ IT AGAIN.

BECAUSE IM OBSESSED NOW. THANK YOU STARRY FOR CREATING MY NEXT OBSESSION.

• Posted at:

ᴛoFfEe (´ω`●)

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

ᴏʙsᴇssɪᴠᴇ sʜɪᴘᴘᴇʀ & ʟᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴏғ ʙᴏʙᴀ

ᴘʀᴏᴜᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴏғ ʙʜ/ᴅʙ\(^ω^\)

“ᴊᴀᴅᴇ, ɪғ ɪ’ᴍ ᴀ ᴡᴀʟɴᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟᴍᴏɴᴅ.”

tHIS WOULD BE GREAT IF IT WERE A TV SHOW/SERIES/ANIME

• Posted at:

Specter

[Bixbite][She/they/baka]

❀❀❀❀❀

#CCfam

❀❀❀❀❀

Playing happy melodies

under the glowing moon

❀❀❀❀❀

❀❀❀❀❀

Spring aesthetic

if i'm feeling motivated, they'll be another chapter out by tonight

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

This is really good! 

• Posted at:

Hyperbole 

{She/her-1458☆} Heteroromantic Asexual

12-21-16

LGBTQA

Yeets to Mars 

You're valid! 

Hyperbole falls from the sky. 

Forum Sis: Gulfstream 

#RememberTheLost

WOOOOOOOOO!! EVERYTIME THERES A DANCE BATTLE, I'MA LISTEN TO THE SONG WHILE READING THIS IS EPIC.

• Posted at:

§Mockingjay§

[Joined June 16th 2017]  

Goddess of Fire      and Phoenix's

°BentOverBackwards_1

°{Star|Count}{4279}

#OurBelovedHurricane-We love you

JorDunDunDun_2

YESSSSSSS

(MJ, ship possible?A killer shipped with a lone wolf?)

• Posted at:

Summer

*lavender eddition*

Catholic

Starry, is it okay if ye child could make a fan club for this book? >:3

and whenever a battle happens, Imma listen to the song too >:3 

The song grape soda is my power song

• Posted at:

ᴛoFfEe (´ω`●)

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

Well, if it's just a thread on the forums, it's definitely okay. I don't need a wiki for it or anything xD

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

It's just going to be a little thread like you said. :3

• Posted at:

ᴛoFfEe (´ω`●)

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

Okay!
Yep, another chapter will be released today.

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

When will I show up?

• Posted at:

H  L

A  O

Catholic 

To the Haven for Werewolves, 54 pages, and over 2,100 posts.

#RememberHurricane

So not Luana.

@Luana 

Still trying to work you in. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you.

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

@Summer- I kinda wanna see whomst Riri is gonna ship

• Posted at:

§Mockingjay§

[Joined June 16th 2017]  

Goddess of Fire      and Phoenix's

°BentOverBackwards_1

°{Star|Count}{4279}

#OurBelovedHurricane-We love you

JorDunDunDun_2

This has now ranked somewhere on my top 20 favorite things I ever read.

(And I'm a huge bookworm)

• Posted at:

~Fairydragon~

She/Her

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."~S. Paige

Species of the Week:Fuzzyflower Cyrtandra,Cyrtandra waiolani

#Vertigecko

#RememberTheLost

#RememberHurricane

I'm probably the only one who likes country music. Anyways ...

• Posted at:

H  L

A  O

Catholic 

#RememberHurricane

So not Luana.

I'm okay with country. My plays LOVES it though.

• Posted at:

ᴛoFfEe (´ω`●)

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

This is totally awesome! Can't wait for the next chapter!

• Posted at:

Confidence 

#RememberHurricane

I love revlis

#scalyottersneedmorelove! 

This looks fun

• Posted at:

JADE SQUIDSHIPPER

I’m edgy now I guess

Toffee’s Still a Walnut

FADESQUID SISTERS

#RememberTheLost

It’s my Forum Birthday Today

And if you say you’re okay 

I’m gonna heal you anyways

Chapter Two

Bixbite sat in the window seat of her small apartment, her sketchbook nested in her lap. Clean Bandit’s most recent album could be heard playing from a small fuchsia speaker across the room, the melody faint but pleasing.

Each stroke of the 2H pencil upon the heavy duty made a soft scritch-like noise. The smell of vanilla and cinnamon in the air was thick, supposedly coming from a steaming mug sitting beside her.

Bixbite fiddled with the collar of her turtleneck sweater, continuing to sketch out what presumably was a face. The details were in-depth, shaded and realistic, almost as if…the girl in the picture could step out and touch your arm. 

Bixbite parted her lips into a smile as she continued to draw, her teeth being revealed from her happiness. The elongated canines in her mouth shone in the dim lighting, and her red eyes sparkled, her black hair falling straight around her face. The clock across the room read 9:30 AM, suddenly starting to beep repeatedly.

With a quick motion, Bixbite thrust the sketchpad down and leapt across the room, slamming off the alarm. The shocks of high-pitched noise reminded her that she had her fighting round in fifteen minutes.

Fifteen minutes?!

Bixbite quickly dusted off her outfit and slammed around in the drawers, frantically reaching for her coiled, baby pink whip — her favorite and only weapon. Curling her fingers around the bright fuchsia handle, her skirt swishing as she quickly put on leggings for the fight — capri leggings, nothing less, but still leggings. 

A breeze outside was practically nonexistent as the gangly vampire teenager started to jog  out the door and through the street. Bixbite retained her joyful smile as the gravel made little to no sound under her light body. Rhythm Access was flashing neons already, and Mighty could be heard in the background. Phew, I’m not TOO late. 

The loud crunch of the pebble ground signaled someone behind Bixbite. The noise was heavy and dark. Oh my gosh, am I being followed?

A small figure lunged out to Bixbite’s back, which she promptly screamed at. Bixbite thrashed about, desperately attempting to dismantle the miniature…creature.

“CARRY ME!” The small being bellowed, and Bixbite stopped and turned her head around. “Nyx, are you freaking serious? You gave me a heart attack.”

Nyx didn’t seem to be too phased, latching herself again onto Bixbite’s backside in a piggyback position.  “I don’t care. Carry me.”

Bixbite sighed as she adjusted the whip at her waist and slid Nyx up on her shoulder. “Alright, but if you do that again, you’re done for.”

Nyx shrugged once again, her bat wings flapping. She hastily shoved a lock of her black hair out of her face. “I thought it was funny.”

“Alright, if you say so, kiddo.”

The duo hiked through the streets, ignoring the stares that they promptly received. It was uncommon to see a calm fighter like Bixbite and the town’s tyrant child, Nyx, hanging out together. Although, were they really hanging out? Nyx was hanging, that’s for sure.

“Alright, Nyx, I gotta go inside for the tournament,” Bixbite said as she pried the eleven-year-old off her shoulderblades. “I’ll see you later?”

Nyx shrugged. “Not like I care that much, but sure. I’m fighting later too. Against Necromancer.”

Bixbite ruffled her hair before stepping up to Sarae, who promptly handed her a fuchsia wristband. “Good luck, kiddo.”

Sarae looked at Bixbite with her eyebrows knitted together, rolling up the sleeves on her t-shirt to form a makeshift tank top. “Since you were late, they rescheduled Ishmael and Summer’s match before you and Toffee.”

Bixbite nodded. “That’s fine. I’ll explain to Toffee why I was late—” Bixbite then proceeds to shoot a cold glare at Nyx, who is playing innocent “—and I’m sure she’ll understand.”

Sarae shrugged. “Have fun, kiddo.”

Bixbite nodded with her ever-present grin. “I will. Have a good day!”

“You too. Good luck, I’ll root for you!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer stared moodily at his bō staff, playing with the multicolored switches lodged onto the sides of it. A pointed blade, a saw blade, and a dual blade shot out of each end with each click. A scowl was lodged upon his face, the expression full of discontent. I only came here for the money today. No friends, just the money. The money will get me through for a while.

Of course, today was one of his favorite types of Rhythm Access: Memes. Who doesn’t love memes?

The thing is, though, about the Memes round, no one is told what the BPM is, or the song that they’ll be fighting to. It’s all a massive surprise.

Summer ran his hands through his black hair, his olive skin slightly shiny with nervous sweat. The pupils in his light blue eyes were small, focused. His stereotypical windbreaker crinkled with each move he made, his cloak pinned behind him.

Summer pressed the fourth button upon his bō staff, which immediately stashed the blades away. The light above the door was yellow, which signaled a minute till he entered the stadium for his round, another Rhythm Flow round. I sure as heck better win.

In the other preparation room on the other half of the stadium sat a Black Maned Wolf Human-Hybrid, looking distantly at the wall. His brown hair curled around his hazel as he bit on the inside of his cheek. A hoodie cast on the bench he sat upon had a tag with his name inscribed upon it: Ishmael. Well, easier than referring to him as that than a Black Maned Wolf Human Hybrid.

Wrapped around the hipline of Ishmael’s ripped jeans sat a leather belt, packed with a small pouch full of…throwing stars, presumably his weapon for battle. His expression was difficult to understand, with a half-mask of a wolf’s mouth obscuring the lower part of his face — a large part of making it easy to read emotions. 

Ishmael’s red, flannel shirt’s sleeves were rolled up the elbows, his hands scrolling through his phone — not bothering doing check ups on his weapons.

“Pfft,” he chuckled, supposedly looking at a text post. “Eggs-thetic.”

That is an awful pun.

I love it.

His thumb scrolled quickly through the sheets of words until a buzzer sounded.

The light above both doors had turned green.

Summer leaped for the exit immediately, barging into the stadium and onto the bulletproof dance screen, his hand itching to grasp his bō staff and battle. Ishmael, however, kept his head down and his eyes directed at his phone. Upon hitting the large screen, however, he stashed his phone away in his pocket and shrugged as he strolled forward with a bit more defiance to his stride.

“Weeelcome back to our favorite round of the day! The one, the only, Unpredictable Meme Rhythm Flow!” the announcer cheered, the crowd erupting into applause. 

“In the color of dark blue for their icons, we have Summer, the Perception bō staff fighter!

“In the color of dark orange for their icons, we have Ishmael, the…what title did he ask for? None? Okay then. We have Ishmael!!”

“You all know the rules, so are we ready to get started?”

Summer nodded eagerly, his knuckles turning red, then white from the firm grip upon his readied staff.

Ishmael grabbed a couple of throwing stars from his pouch and nodded, his eyes crinkling with what I’m going to assume is competitive spirit.

The microphone had a tad of feedback before the announcer started speaking once again. “Alllright! The song for your battle today is…”

In the higher part of the audience, the wide-screen switched to a slot-machine like device. A row of numbers were all on them, and an animated child ran up the switch and yanked it down, their joints moving furiously. 

The numbers read out 324. 

“'Heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa', otherwise known as 'Fabulous Secret Powers!' by SlackCircus!"

Summer’s expression went from ready to fight to completely shocked. “Wait, you mean the—”

“Yep!” The announcer shouted. “The song from the He-Man meme! Have fun trying to hit those notes. The Mighty round for Electro Swing ranked at about a 12 on difficulty, but this is a 16, which, as everyone knows, is the hardest to keep up in with notes and fighting. This song has a BPM of 140, so prepare yourself!”

Ishmael’s eyes widened and his wolf ears pressed down on his head in shock, his tail dropping. “Okay then. That’s one he-nous situation.”

Summer stared at Ishmael with distaste. “…you legitimately just made a pun over He-Man. With the word ‘heinous’.”

Ishmael shrugged. “Yep.”

Summer shook his head and sighed. “Any minute now.”

The announcer, as if on cue, counted down with an overly-energetic voice. “3, 2, 1…”

“BEGIN!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Halfway across Beat, Hyperbole, Confidence, and Luana sat together in a pizza restaurant, watching the battle start on TV with it’s ridiculously impossible camera angles.

Hype seemed louder than normal, her usual facade being cold and uncaring to the outside world. “Guysss, they legitimately got Fabulous Secret Powers!”

Luana looked up at the TV with a mouth full of pepperoni pizza. “Nice.” She then proceeded to take a large bite, wipe off her mouth with a napkin, and take a sip of lemonade. “Aren’t we all scheduled to fight tomorrow?”

Confidence nodded eagerly. “Yep, it’s what the latest trend is, right? If it isn’t, I’m still fine doing it…oh, have you all seen those purses that some of those popular fighters carry?”

Hype was too engrossed with the TV to respond to Confidence’s nervous question about the fashion craze. Ishmael had lodged throwing stars repeatedly into Summer, managing to hit all of his notes at the same time. The stats were shown in the upper corner: Ishmael at 75% health, Summer at 30%. With the tactical advantage of small, magically retrievable projectiles, it seemed to be working fairly well to make Summer miss notes. Every now and then, Summer would lunge with a choice blade extended on his bō staff, landing a successful blow every sixteen beats or so. Ishmael had a rate of successful blows for every eight beats.

Confidence looked at the TV and then flicked her attention back to her phone, slightly jittery. “O-oh! Apparently Toffee just got new pastel earbuds and set a new trend. They even have cat ears on them…where’s the nearest store that sells them?”

Luana smiled as she sat back in her chair. “Confidence, deep breaths. You need to have some ‘confidence’ in yourself!”

Confidence stared directly at Luana with a unamused expression. “That’s not the most original pun, I’ve heard it thousands of times before.”

Luana sighed. “Ah, sorry. Hey, you haven’t touched your pizza yet.”

Confidence was looking at her phone again, face illuminated with the unhealthy white glow. “Yeah, yeah…I’ll…I’ll get to it…”

Hype whooped loudly as Summer landed a blow upon Ishmael. The latter’s health was now at 53%, but Summer had drastically decreased to 18%. “How much are they gonna win?!”

Confidence looked at Hype immediately. “There’s a grand total of $500 on the line.”

Luana exhaled deeply again. “How does this place even stay alive without the Officials finding out from above?”

Confidence shrugged, watching the TV with Hype at this point. “Who knows. How does this magic even work?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ishmael’s eyes widened with exhilaration as he proceeded to flip onto the two notes next to him, leaning close to the floor to hit the next three and successfully launch a set of throwing stars out at Summer. Summer winced, fell back, but continued to hit the notes. The rate of the glowing circles appearing had reached an insane speed, yet the two still happened to hit them.

Summer jabbed the point of the bladed bō staff directly at Ishmael, who narrowly dodged it (but got a rip in his shirt).

Ishmael’s eyes looked angry. “Hey, dude, that was my favorite shirt!”

Summer didn’t look phased. “If you weren’t such a bad fighter, maybe you would’ve dodged it.”

“I think you’re the bad fighter here. Tear-able, in fact?”

“Would you stop it with the puns?”

“Never.” Ishmael retracted the throwing stars from Summer’s right arm and reposition them in Summer’s gut, making the latter wince in pain.

The song ends.

“Ishmael wins by Higher Health, 35% to 9%!” exclaimed the announcer, causing the crowd to burst into cheers. “Ishmael, you can claim your prize from Sarae out front!”

Inside the pizza parlor, Hype exploded with fury. “Nooo! How come Summer didn’t win?!”

Luana shrugged. “Who knows. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be.”

Ishmael brought back the throwing stars and reached out for Summer, lying on the floor in pain. His wolf ears had flicked up with joy, his tail waving back and forth. “Good game.”

Summer looked up warily before grabbing his hand, his speckled dragon wings stretched.  “Good game,” he said as he scratched the back of his neck, only to shake Ishmael’s hand afterwards. The two departed from the stadium in opposite directions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toffee was behind the scenes, loading her crossbow with a happy expression. Her quiver slung over her shoulder and her hoodie sleeves rolled up, her boots tapped on the floor. She was already told what song she was fighting Bixbite against with: Lullaby by Sigala for the Pop category. This should be fun!

Bixbite, on the other side, had her whip readied and was flexing it in her hand. Hey, maybe I can buy some new markers with this money. Maybe I’ll get lucky. Maybe it’s a Death Dance round. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From above the stadium, a girl with dusty rose hair slung a black surgical mask over her mouth, buckling her jacket shut. 

“Mods from Earth-22? Can you hear me? Yes, I’ve located the stadium. Do you wish for me to investigate?”

“Affirmative. Cover every inch. We need to know what’s happening.”

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

@Toffee - Someone told me the only people who do like country are those without phones. I don't have a phone.

• Posted at:

H  L

A  O

Catholic 

#RememberHurricane

So not Luana.

I FORGOT

Forumers in order of appearance: Bixbite, Nyx, Summer, Ishmael, Hyperbole, Confidence, Luana, Toffee

• Posted at:

✪ Riri ✪ 

[she/her/author]

In this lukewarm madness

and make-believe

19 5 14 4 13 5 13 5 19

Bookmark

• Posted at:

~Crystal~

He left the other 99 to look for YOU

Once I was eleven years old  

#Prolife

#Canada

#Homeschool

#RCatholic

I may suddenly leave for a long period of time.

Love it, love it, love it, love it,love it.

• Posted at:

H  L

A  O

Catholic 

#RememberHurricane

So not Luana.

*INTENSE FANGIRLING THAT CANNOT BE EXPRESSED WITH WORDS*

• Posted at:

Specter

[Bixbite][She/they/baka]

❀❀❀❀❀

#CCfam

❀❀❀❀❀

Playing happy melodies

under the glowing moon

❀❀❀❀❀

❀❀❀❀❀

Spring aesthetic

Each pun added five years to my lifespan

• Posted at:

۩۞۩

I S H M A E L

•۩۞۩

•۩۞۩

YESS PUN LORDS!

• Posted at:

Summer

*lavender eddition*

Catholic

I can't pun like Ishmeal. :)

• Posted at:

H  L

A  O

Catholic 

#RememberHurricane

So not Luana.

This was great! 

I can’t wait to see what happens with these mysterious peoples from Earth-22!

• Posted at:

Hyperbole 

{She/her-1458☆} Heteroromantic Asexual

12-21-16

LGBTQA

Yeets to Mars 

You're valid! 

Hyperbole falls from the sky. 

Forum Sis: Gulfstream 

#RememberTheLost

Nobody can pun like Ishmael. He's unique.

• Posted at:

Specter

[Bixbite][She/they/baka]

❀❀❀❀❀

#CCfam

❀❀❀❀❀

Playing happy melodies

under the glowing moon

❀❀❀❀❀

❀❀❀❀❀

Spring aesthetic

YASSSSSSSS I LOVE THISSSSS

and Ishmael, oh Ishmael. What would we ever do without you?

• Posted at:

ᴛoFfEe (´ω`●)

ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄɪɴɴᴀᴍᴏɴʀᴏʟʟ

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴋᴏ ǫᴜᴇᴇɴ (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

1 , , 3 ... 11 , 12 , 13