Hello lovely readers!

I can’t believe how soon Book Eleven will be out in the world!  Only a few more weeks . . . I hope you guys like it! I loved dreaming up the new continent and the new tribes and the whole history of what’s been going on over there for the last two thousand years.  

When I first started trying to come up with new tribe ideas, one of the things I knew would be important was finding a concept where the dragons would look different and have new powers—and I’d have a lot of potential names to work with!    I can’t remember the first thing that got me thinking about butterflies, but it might have been this game I got addicted to on my phone for a while.  (I’m hesitant to tell you the name of it, because it was super addictive, and my whole family was like ARGH STOP STARING AT YOUR PHONE WAITING FOR IMAGINARY BUTTERFLY EGGS TO HATCH!)  But the idea was that you could hatch lots of different types of butterflies in the game world on your phone, by collecting eggs and feeding caterpillars and so on. And I noticed then that a lot of them had really cool names…names that I thought might be awesome for dragons, like Swordtail and Metalmark and Silverspot.  

And the more I thought about it, the more I started imagining what those dragons might look like.  Dragons with butterfly wings (but don’t worry, they’re as strong as any dragon wings!) . . . for one thing, I knew Joy would make them incredibly beautiful!  So what else could make them special? Well, the Metamorphosis where they get their wings—I’ve always thought it would be interesting to write about dragons who can’t fly, at least not yet.  And then I watched a documentary called Life in the Undergrowth and started thinking about silkmoths, and the idea of silk-spinning dragons, and how useful and cool that could be.  (So they’re not just named after butterflies—they’re named after moths as well, which is where I found some of my favorite names!)

I also knew I wanted them to be a really gentle tribe, because they have to go through some terrible things, and I’m interested in the question of whether we can start off gentle, but become strong and resilient and get through tough times, and then still come out kind and empathetic on the other side.  I’m still wrestling with that question; I’m glad I have five books to help me think it over! 

And speaking of questions, I’m just going to quickly answer a couple (and then get back to Book Twelve!) . . .

Marx: I'm still curious about whether or not all fire-breathing tribes can have firescales.

For right now, in my head, only the SkyWings have had dragons with firescales—but if I decide in the future that I need a firescaled MudWing, then everyone go LA LA LA and pretend I never said this!  

Longclaw: How long does it usually take you to figure out and start a draft of a book?

Normally I only have six months between my deadlines to take a book from start to finish.  But with Book Eleven I asked for more time because I knew I needed it for research and worldbuilding.  So with this one I had a few extra months, which I was very grateful for! But remember that I’ve been practicing writing for years and years, so I’ve learned a lot about streamlining my process and focusing on getting the writing done.  (Which mainly means learning to ignore all the worry voices in my head!) My first novel took me two years to figure out and write, and I have a few ideas which have been in my head for way longer than that, waiting to be ready.

Penguinemerald214: How does dragon aging compare to human aging? 

There isn’t a direct correlation, like “three human years to every dragon year” or anything like that.  Seven is considered adult only because that’s when they reach their full size and their growth rate slows down (although they keep growing a little bit every year, like lizards do).  But one reason I like writing about dragons is that I don’t have to pin them to a particular age that we have human associations with—I didn’t want readers thinking “fourteen-year-olds are capable of this, seventeen-year-olds can do that, hey these dragons should be at home doing their algebra homework.”    They’re big mythical creatures with superpowers—I want them to feel a little ageless so you can imagine them however you want, and they can run around saving the world their own way.  (Also, I would say starting this new school hasn’t been easy for the dragonets . . . nor would it be for anyone, after the war . . . but I have faith in them, if they stick with it and don’t get discouraged and nothing terrible from another continent shows up to . . . I mean, NOTHING TO SEE HERE . . .)  

Dragoncloudburst1168: Popsicles, do dragons have popsicles?

I am sure some clever IceWings have combined ice and fruit juice to make popsicles!  If my little bears can make them, I imagine that intelligent tribe could figure it out!  

All right, Book Twelve is calling me!  More soon about the other two tribes (and hopefully more answers to your questions!) . . . and I hope I get to meet some of you at the Washington, DC launch party on June 26!  I can’t wait!

Hugs and happy SilkWing dreams to all of you!

Tui  

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

First

• Posted at:

Leopard

]Proud Lutheran[

stars need the darkness to shine 

second!

• Posted at:

not relevant.

I will. Fade, after all we all do

No matter what 

We’re so lucky to exist at the same time as this wonderful woman

• Posted at:

I’m Bengal and I am so sorry.

Hurricane, I will remember you forever. I’m sorry for not being the friend you deserved.

Yay! She actually answered my question!

• Posted at:

-^-Longclaw-^-

She/Her/They/Them

Goddess of Gore, Coyotes, and Obsidian

Queeof Nighttime and Demonic Entities

In death, there comes peace and rebirth

#REMEMBERHURRICANE

For every life lost, a sorrow felt in millions

Intersting about the IceWings and popsicles, it certainly makes sense though since I believe it was mentioned that RainWings can make chocolate out of cacao beans, so if the RainWings can make chocolate, I'm sure that the IceWings can make and distribute popsicles :) 

6 months is such a short time to construct and write an entire story. I'm glad Scholastic gave a bit of extra time for prepping for the new arc! 

• Posted at:

You are an inspiration, Tui. How do you stay concentrated on writing? I have... difficulties... staying on track.

• Posted at:

Sage of the Universe, Giver of Writing Advice

I'll respect your opinion as long as your opinion doesn't disrespect anyone else's life

LONG LIVE ANARCHY, DESTROY YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT, AND BE CAREFUL: SERPENTINE IS 100% SALT

/318748

Oh neat, thank you for answering my question! 

(Also I think I might know the game you're talking about...my mother, too, has been consumed by the butterflies.)

• Posted at:

:・゚MARX :・゚

eternal glitter overlord ☆

☆ forum xurkitree ☆

seawing | arcane | riverclan ☆

☆ oh bobbit worm  

I think I know the game... I think I played it... But I'm impatient so...

• Posted at:

Fennec

The Fox 

#TotallyGettingMarriedToCinder

You know me the best 

You know my worst,

See me hurt,

But you don't judge

#RememberHurricane

the only proper way to eat popcorn is to grab a handful and try to eat it all at once-Corbyn, WDW

@Marx are you sure your mother isn't Tui. Asking for a friend.

• Posted at:

Sage of the Universe, Giver of Writing Advice

I'll respect your opinion as long as your opinion doesn't disrespect anyone else's life

LONG LIVE ANARCHY, DESTROY YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT, AND BE CAREFUL: SERPENTINE IS 100% SALT

/318748

Hi tui, I've been waiting for ever to talk to you, you are my fav author of my fav book , sieres of all time, so, I have a question about moon, what made you decide that moon would be with qibli instead of winter, that would have to be councluded soon, so what made you decide?

• Posted at:

shadow the wolf-fox hybrid

male

The pen is mightier than the sword, it has no limitations

" WE ARE STILL YOUR FRIENS, DO YOU STILL BELIEVE THAT? IM GOING TO PUT YOU BACK TOGETHER... " - GOLDEN FREDDY PLUSH

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

Ooo I saw this post yesterday but still very, very cool information. I'm pretty excited to learn more about Pantala.

• Posted at:

Clever, A Very Clevery Guy

♦ he/him ♦ intj-a ♦ stressed but well-dressed  ♦

♦ irrelevancy + machinations available /333261 ♦

♦ resident loremaster of gnomeo & juliet arcana ♦

Hi Tui! I was wondering what made you decide to make a book about dragons and prophecies? Btw, I LOVE the new dragons, aka Silkwings! Hope you have a good day! 

• Posted at:

M ✰

E ✰

T ✰

T ✰

A ✰

T ✰

O ✰

N ✰

✰ ιт'ѕ gσιиg тσ вє σк, ∂αяℓιиg. ѕтαяѕ ℓιкє υѕ ¢αи мαкє ιт тняσυgн αиутнιиg. ✰

Wow, thank you! These were some cool questions with great answers! Looking forward to getting the eleventh book! 

• Posted at:

ʀʊռɛ

She | Her | Timelord

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!”-The Doctor

-Obsessed with Dr Who, HTTYD, Marvel & Troll Hunters-

Daughter of Hermes

#RememberHurricane

Questions:

1.Will the Dragonets of destiny ever have dragonets?

2.Will Claril happen?

3.Will there be more arks?

4. Who is Sunny going to get with?

Thank you for answering our questions :)

• Posted at:

~Crystal~

He left the other 99 to look for YOU

Love EVERYONE No Matter What     

#Prolife

#Canada

#Homeschool

#RCatholic

Pls Join!

/326188

WAIT. Y-O-U-A-R-E-M-A-K-I-N-G-A-1-2-T-H-B-O-O-K?!!! OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!! I AM A HUGE FAN OF YOUR BOOKS AND ME AND MY FRIENDS CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR NEXT BOOK TO BE OUT!! I'M THE ONE AT MY SCHOOL THAT MADE EVERYONE START READING IT!! I STARTED WHEN I WAS 9, AND I'VE READ THEM ALL EXCEPT THE 11TH!! ALSO I DIDN'T KNOW YOUR MEETING SOME PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON?? I HOPE I CAN MEET YOU!! I LOVE YOUR BOOKS SOOO MUCH THAT ME AND MY FRIEND CAME UP WITH OUR OWN DRAGON TRIBES!! 1. YOU ARE MAKING A 12TH BOOK?? THAT'S AWSOME!! 2. WILL THERE BE A 13TH?? 3. DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE DRAGON TRIBE? I REALLY LOVE YOUR BOOKS! I CAN NEVER SAY HOW MUCH ME AND MY FRIENDS LOVE YOUR BOOKS! THX FOR ALL OF IT!

• Posted at:

Hey Tui, how come Kinkajou doesn't have a story??? 

• Posted at:

If there are only three tribes on pantala will the remaining two books in the arch be PoVed by pyrhian dragons or pantalan dragons? (If they are pyrhian will knkajou get a book?)

I used to live in Massachusets!!! It's not a very large state so we must have lived relatively close. But now I am Halfway across the country. 

• Posted at:

my OC

Rainwing: Parrot

Seawing: Porpoise

Icewing: Blizzard

Sandwing: Diomondback

Mudwing: Mosqito

Skywing: Blaze

Nightwing: Shadow

HIvewingHorsefly

Leafwing: Spruce

Silkwing: Swallowtail

Call me Luna alpha

Inactive on school days.

Um... Everyone, book 12 comes out december 26 2018.

• Posted at:

~Crystal~

He left the other 99 to look for YOU

Love EVERYONE No Matter What     

#Prolife

#Canada

#Homeschool

#RCatholic

Pls Join!

/326188

I can't WAIT until Book 11 is out!  Thank you, Tui, for this wonderful post!

• Posted at:

✦ <> Silverskies <> ✦

♫ QueeoScrollanLibraries ♫

GoddesoWeatherSolitudThSky

"A beautiful soul is never forgotten."

#RememberHurrican 

@Tui 

Thank you for the interesting information! The butterfly game your talking about sounds interesting. 

Oh yeah, i do have some questions, the questions I have are probable for arc 1 and 2 

- How did the rainwing tribe work back in Darkstalkers era? And will there be a book on how the rainwing tribe worked? If so would Granduer be the protagonist of that book? Or some other rainwing. (Legends) 

- Will there be a possible book on the scorching? (Possible Legends book?) 

- Did the dragon tribes all originate from one dragon species? Or did they evolve over time as the land scape changed. 

- How does Animus magic affect a dragon? I know it’s been explained, just curious. 

- Is there any other special abilities the dragon tribes have that aren’t known of yet? 

• Posted at:

FOSSIL

Spaced Out

Loner

Far away to a place where Im free from the weight

Do you got room for one more troubled soul?  

GGaD, ML

Dec 15 2015

hooray 

• Posted at:

--I am Inkblot--

she, her, fluff

I have a foot in another world

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they're open.

help? new siggy?

#rememberhurricane

Ok I have a few questions.

Is there another continent? I'm writing a fan fiction and there's a third continent in it the continent is called Pyssla if you want to use it later

Is Winter gonna be shipped with anyone else? because of the whole Moonbli thing...

WILL DRAGONS START USING SHIP NAMES

WILL DRAGONS START DABBING

Ooblek. Just ooblek.

this is the question form of the last line: Will dragons invent ooblek?

So many questions oof

• Posted at:

*+Hope+*

---^o^---

Hufflepuff|Used to have a huge gang|Shipless|Uses way to many FNaF references

"I'M SCARED OF MYSELF!!!!!" -Puddle, my former gang member

#Fade

#IshmalsARoleModel

Live, Love, Life, and Hope.

Gang: Goldheart, Flame, Log, Starmaker

I'M SO EXCITED I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE ON LEAFWINGS AND TO READ ABOUT BLUE OMG I CAN'T I'M TOO EXCITED!

• Posted at:

**Blossom**

Writer, Dragon Caretaker

Sugilite, Black Lily, Smokewhisper, Rayne, Clearwater, Death Flower, Laelia, Raindancer and Dessirae, Smoke and Ashes

"No way, a tree in a forest?"~My Queen of Sarcasm

I have some questions, your majesty! It feels proper to call you that and I feel like I should bow and like I‘m not cool enough to talk to you

1. Is Scarlet bisexual? I’m really gay for her okay

2. How do Pantalan relationships work? I heard that Blue’s parents were a lesbian couple(Lesbian dragons are my aesthetic ha) and I was wondering if he and his sister were adopted or if Pantalan dragons are different with reproduction.

3. Is the necklace Scarlet was wearing in Escaping Peril enchanted? I’m really hoping she’s still alive.

4. What’s Scarlet’s backstory?

5. Will there be a Winglets or Legends about her?

6. Which app is it?

7. Will there be a lot of Queen Wasp in the new arc? I’m somehow already gay for her too??

8. Is Sunny ar/ace?

Oh jeez that’s a lot of questions I’m so sorry

• Posted at:

I’m Bengal and I am so sorry.

Hurricane, I will remember you forever. I’m sorry for not being the friend you deserved.

ONE BOOK, START TO FINISH, IN SIX MONTHS??? I COULDN'T DO THAT EVEN IF I DIDN'T GO TO SCHOOL! That's really awesome! Ahhh! But your first book took you two years, there's still hope for me!

You're really cool by the way

@Bengal:

2. The answer is in the book sample in iBooks; don't worry, the sample is only of the prologue and first chapter, I think, so no spoilers. From that first chapter I've figured out that Blue and Luna are half-siblings with the same dad, but they don't know their dad, and their mums have fallen in love. But you can read it if you want to understand more :)

• Posted at:

Yellow

Zebrasarecool

#SunnyLickedAQibli

#ClerilIsAFruit

DemonxYellow

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~The Lorax

Christian!

"LICK LICK LICK" she saids as she was put in an assylum

This is amazing! I have some questions:

-What is the most common color for Silkwings?

-Is there any more details you can give us about their silk and how it works?

-How are you so amazing?

• Posted at:

_-=+Imagine+=-_

Sleep till I come home

Dream of something sweet

I will be there soon

To wake you so discrete

@tui

question 1. What exactly is the religous backround for the dragons of phyria? I know that skywings beleive in reincarnation but what about the other tribes?

2. Will kinkajou ever get her own book?

3. this is more of a cool thing rather than a question. In book10 you mentioned the nightwings having strange musical insturments, when i read that I realised something. All of these tribes and species of dragons you've made may seem very similar to our own but they are their own culture, their own language, and even their own music( which i would love to hear). You have created a world that just keeps growing, and that is amazing.

Thank you for making such a great book series and for making even more

PS: IS kinkajou going to get her own book?

• Posted at:

mapleleaf

proud mudwing

jedi,guardian,wizard,Christian, and minecrafter.

I'm imagining Clay with his tongue stuck on a popsicle. 

• Posted at:

~Alphawolf(formerly Aqua)~

He/his/him

Enemy of Quartz

Each challenge in life is a lesson in disguise.

Don't beat yourself up about failing. Move on instead.

#REMEMBERHURRICANE

This is aboslutely awesome!

@Tui: Do you listen to music while writing your books? If so, has any song ever inspired you to create a character based on that song?

• Posted at:

~иιgнтωσf~

ғσяυм υηкησωη

#RememberTheLost

#RememberHurricane

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." -Norman Cousins

Hey there Tui! I've got some questions for ya:

First, how did you come up with the idea for Anemone and Tamarin? Because that is heccing adorable 

Second, is Winter going to find interest in any one else, or is someone going to fall for him? I hat to see my icy sarcastic cinnamon role all alone.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer our questions, and I can't wait to read your next book! Tạm biệt!

• Posted at:

Falcon: "I might be young, and you might hate me for who I am and what I've done. But that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is that I'm risking my life for you even though I'm all those things and more."

@Bengal

I think she means Flutter??

• Posted at:

~~~Fox~~~

Save the Vaquitas!!!

All hail the Meg!”

#RememberHurricane

I am;

- A Fanwing

- A Demigod

- A Jedi

Joined the forums; January 2017

Greyromantic and bi

Look out for TucuxiPorpoise and Vaquita - SeaWing triplets, in my posts!

Hi Tui! I'm so excited for book 11! Now, I heard lots of cool ideas from friends that IceWings could possibly have frostscales! This sounds awesome. Are you considering making a frostscales IceWing?

From your friend, 

Dragonteal417

• Posted at:

Another question coming from my sister: How did you get the idea for Wings of Fire?

• Posted at:

~иιgнтωσf~

ғσяυм υηкησωη

#RememberTheLost

#RememberHurricane

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." -Norman Cousins

@Tui What app? My best guess is Draconius Go. Also, will book 11 be on Pantala of Phyyria

• Posted at:

««Freedom»»

Est. 1.13.18

Mod Eerf ©2018

KING O' LENNIES!

{he/him/fan-sea-nightwing/giant mountain/etc.}

1160+

#RememberHurricane (July 21)

#RemindmeifIhaventreplied@/332288

#Plsgoto/334433

@fanwings it's Pyrrhia, not Phyyria.

• Posted at:

He/his/him

Enemy of Quartz

#REMEMBERHURRICANE

@Tui.: a way you could have resolved the Quibli/Winter/Moon redrom drama thing is: have Winter die to protect her, showing his love for her in her final seconds--- then Quibli can move in for the kill a bit later

also did you know that Quibli isn't even a registered word in the scholastic autocorrect database thing.

anyways this strategy could have saved your from future drama between them

it would also make it so that theres no winter but still

main character death is fun

• Posted at:

CR∆ZY Sirjani Bloom Elementorial

Venom

KINGOF cr∆zy,ravens,blobs

PRINCEOF ice,wolves,phoenixes

ANIMALS RULE

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!Adam Savage

WRITER

Magician

ThreadGhost

ߨˆçˆ∂å¬

@Tui: Is melanism (look it up if you don't know what it is) possible in SilkWings?

• Posted at:

w i l d

☆ forum bad person

☆ queen of fugitive plots

☆ empress of lowercase aesthetic

☆ atheist

remember hurricane

(: we are arm now

#firstdingut

(Dude... Shut your face and get to work already!)

@dragonlizard actually that would be pretty neat, though Winter is my favorite dragon in the Jade Winglet.

• Posted at:

He/his/him

Enemy of Quartz

#REMEMBERHURRICANE

@riverbeast: thankee

• Posted at:

CR∆ZY Sirjani Bloom Elementorial

Venom

KINGOF cr∆zy,ravens,blobs

PRINCEOF ice,wolves,phoenixes

ANIMALS RULE

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!Adam Savage

WRITER

Magician