Before anybody asks how I finished the book.. let's just say Barnes and Noble is really, really bad at accurate release times.
things i liked
- PANTALA. So! much! worldbuilding! They had an interesting history and an interesting present and the world was built really well. Many things that I thought would be overlooked (e.g. how do they have light when they don't have fire) were explained well.
- Cricket is my child and I love her.
- Humor! All the humor!
- The writing style is still the same, which I liked.
- DRAGON DYSTOPIA OKAY.
- Flamesilk is really, really, high on my list of Favorite Fancy Dragon Powers.
- Speaking of fancy dragon powers: I'M REALLY CREEPED OUT OKAY @Queen Wasp.
- They worship Clearsight and it's great!
- Character dynamics of imprisoned flamesilks!
- The COVER. So. so. pretty. I got a special edition with a poster in it showing Blue and Cricket and I can really see their expressions!
- I still have not gotten over bug dragons.
- Thank you for not adding spider dragons.
- Blue's moms! Yay!
- Just enough loose threads to keep me wondering!
things i didn't like
- Blue. I couldn't connect to him at all and it took him LITERALLY THE ENTIRE BOOK TO FIGURE OUT HE DIDN'T NEED TO FOLLOW THE RULES. Least favorite protagonist so far, really unrelatable and kind of annoying. He was excusing the HiveWings' behavior even when they were TRYING TO KILL HIM.
- I could not care less about Swordtail. He was a jerk.
- Why am I supposed to support the LeafWings again? The ones that we saw basically wanted to kill everybody. Not just the HiveWings.
- How the heck is Luna believably supposed to be able to FLY OVER THE ENTIRE OCEAN BECAUSE OF A STORM. Not logical okay.
- It felt really short, but this is coming from somebody who read it all in less than an hour so.
- Blue/Cricket a, has no ship name that works, and b, was really really rushed. I headcanon Cricket as ace, incidentally.
other thoughts and theories
- Pantala seems to be really technologically advanced and it's cool!
- Blue. Cricket. Painting a dragon to hide them is never going to work.
- I want to know more about: Io, Lady Scarab, Queen Wasp, a LeafWing named Willow that was mentioned once.
- It seems we'll have to wait another book or two for our LGBTQ+ protagonist...
- I really, really hope we don't have any repeat PoVs for this arc. Go away @Moon and Qibli.
- At least Cricket is going to/should get a PoV, I think. Other suspects are Luna and Sundew, who I was meh about. Character development please.
- So THAT'S what the large hole is about.
- I liked it, but didn't love it. It's good for the opening to an arc, and it set the stage for things I'm very curious to see.
- Also Blue please go die in a spherical black hole that warps time and space.
Please tell us why you'd like to report this post
she/her and they/themand we're powered by every tear that's dried