so my doctor recommended a bunch of apps to me to help my anxiety. i asked my dad if i could get an app that’s teaches you breathing exercises because it could really help me. my dad said no because meditation is apparently against the catholic faith, but this these are simple breathing exercises meant to simply help me not feel like i’m gonna die? i did ask for one with meditation but after i asked for one with just breathing but he still said no because breathing exercises are “against our faith”. so are breathing exercises simply meant to help your mental health against the church?

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

happeh  

people come into our lives for a reason

bringing something we must learn

we are led to those who help us most to grow

we help them in return

i don't know if i believe that's true

but i know i'm who i am today

because i knew you

Um, I dunno, Christians don't have anything against meditation or breathing exercises as far as I know.

• Posted at:

Call me <  Andalite  >

Proud Christian!

#RavenclawPride

#IDoNotSupportSame-GenderShipping

I am a girl

Fluent in sarcasm ~ My T-Shirt

i don't think so at all, but i'm not catholic. my youth minister's wife has recommended meditation to help with anxiety actually, and we did a guided group meditation thing at church camp once, but that's really all the experience i have with it. 

• Posted at:

eureka

moved to @thankfulthunderstorm1 :D

Ummm WHAT????

Ok, I have a breathing exercise that we use for band. I'll tell you in another thread.

• Posted at:

Just call me...

CW.

Or Charles Wallace

For my family, no. (We’re Roman Catholic, so that might mean it’s a little different) 

at least, I don’t oppose it. On another note, does your dad know the doctor suggested it? It might or might not make any difference, but still.

• Posted at:

Cat/Sylvia

Proud hufflepuff

pma!

beauty comes from unity

where people taunt, hope says “try one more time”

#youbelongtoaduck

your loving hybrid friend,

catwolf76

Hi Happeh, long time no see, anyways I'm not very religious and feel that several things in the old testament are dated (No gay and treatment of women) but as far as I know breathing and meditation isn't unchristian, though it might have something to do with it's connection to buddhism? I don't know.

• Posted at:

Kitsune

Hi, I'm back! After like a century...Sorry...

@kitsune that makes sense, but if it’s just to hep with anxiety or depression, that should make it okay. 

Also, I find it annoying that a lot of homophobes rope the Bible into an argument against the lgbtqa+ community a lot. Just a random annoyance I felt obligated to share .,. 

• Posted at:

Cat/Sylvia

Proud hufflepuff

pma!

beauty comes from unity

where people taunt, hope says “try one more time”

#youbelongtoaduck

your loving hybrid friend,

catwolf76

Well... as an agnostic Christian who doesn’t go to church, I would say to just get the apps or look up breathing exercises if they help you. You’re not hurting anyone and your dad is being very inconsiderate; breathing exercises do actually help during panic attacks and the like, so you would benefit from getting those apps. In fact, a breathing exercise that usually helps me is breathing in for four seconds, holding it for seven, and exhaling for eight.

• Posted at:

I’m Bengal and I’m sorry

Hello! I am: 

-The owner of GGaD(/327460)

-Queen of Fictional Crushes

-Bisexual and proud

-A (bad) writer

-Dragonkin

Keep scrolling and have a great day, my dude!

Wow. No, I've never heard about that, but I'm not exactly an expert on the Bible. The Bible says a lot of things that seem weird. I dunno. Maybe look it up?

• Posted at:

Yellow

Zebrasarecool

#SunnyLickedAQibli

#ClerilIsAFruit

DemonxYellow

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~The Lorax

Christian!

"LICK LICK LICK" she saids as she was put in an assylum

Not as far as I know. I do breathing exercises for singing, and I'm Catholic. But like what Slyvia said, does your dad know the doctor prescribed this?

• Posted at:

Luana

Catholic 

To the Haven for Werewolves, 54 pages, and over 2,100 posts.

ok so i got the breathing exercises, but only the breathing exercises. 

• Posted at:

happeh  

people come into our lives for a reason

bringing something we must learn

we are led to those who help us most to grow

we help them in return

i don't know if i believe that's true

but i know i'm who i am today

because i knew you

Mmmaybe ask your dad what his source on that is, because I've never heard anything like that.

• Posted at:

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Queen of Non SequiturBookwyrmsPangolinsand Bones

Trash Squad, WerewolfGASTER FOLLOWER

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

WoFMBer Dec. 2014-Mar. 2019

I have an app called #SelfCare and it’s really good, it’s got a bunch of random stuff to do

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

As long as you are grounded in your faith I don’t think that you will stray away from The Lord. When you are told to clear your mind only focus on Him and you should be fine. (I am Christian) 

• Posted at:

@happeh, according to the New World Translation Bible, there is nothing wrong with breathing exercises ,and in fact they can be very beneficial for your general health, like yoga or eating fresh food.

the practice of meditation is controversial. Buddhist's believe (i hope i get this right), that to enter a "heaven" after death, you have to train your mind to focus on something so severely that it empties your mind entirely. this practice is not religiously right because of the risk of demons and evil thoughts entering your mind. that might be what your dad was trying to explain.

• Posted at:

> E U P H O R I A <

[ She / Her ]

'Cause years pass and people change

Bluer skies could turn grey

Though it's gonna hurt for now,

Every ship must sail away

= Every Ship Must Sail Away by Blue Merle =

If you have a copy of the chatecism, it could be a good idea to check it. As far as I know, breathing exercises are fine, but it can never hurt to check. It also won't hurt to share the results with your parents, if it turns out that it is indeed okay. 

• Posted at:

•Darksea•

Please excuse the typoes.

Darling don't be afraid, I will love you for a thousand years. 

God bless you Lucy.

3Amigas

This is a very sharp knife I have here

Yee

#Arkos

@Oncilla, Its called the Holy Bible of God. I am a complete Christian as well.

• Posted at:

FIREFLY The Dragon/Cat/Human Hybrid

"The limit of creation is the limit of your imagination" - Me  

#RememberHurricane

Honey I’m Christian and there is nothing in the Bible that says breathing exercises are bad

• Posted at:

<Dancing>

HELLO I AM A LIVING ORGANISM

proud Christian

HARRPOTTER

forum mom

meme god

Spiderman/Peter Parker is mine you want him, you can fight me

ribs are the cage of a wild heart

when nothing goes right, go left

I am Catholic and have been for my whole life, and both of my parents are Catholic, and we sometimes do breathing excersises and meditations together as a family. A meditation is really just a time of being calm, quiet, and reflecting. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Don't worry.

• Posted at:

~Eclipse~

Books

Dragons

Wizards

Narwhals

I’m Catholic but I don’t reaaally like church I haven’t been there in years, probable only like 4 times in my life? But i’m Prettty sure there’s nothing against breathing exercises, my dad does meditation and breathing exercises to help with his anger issues. So I think you have the right to get a breathing exercise app or you could even watch a video of it online. 

• Posted at:

Øł  

Dragons  

Night Forest

Howling ghosts they reappear, In mountains that are stacked with fear

Through pain, through fear, through darkness and death, I will always stay with you

I'm Christian(but not Catholic) but my religion is perfectly fine with meditation 

• Posted at:

>)(<Crimson>)(< 

Son of Justice

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

El Amigo

Please just be okay...

Foolizh autocoreect

*leaps in* I HAVE A VOICE OF EXPERIENCE AND FACTUAL REASON ON THIS

First: Meditation and breathing control/exercises are two very different things. It's 100% possible to have one without the other.

Second: Meditation doesn't have to be the "empty your mind" mystical yahoo people automatically think of. To meditate is literally "to think deeply or focus, in silence or with [...] chanting" according to my dictionary. If you quietly ponder Bible verses, you're meditating on the verses. There's nothing wrong with literal meditation until you meditate on the wrong things or open your mind to the wrong influences. 

So that's my input. Stay safe Happeh!

• Posted at:

Sanetra

11562+ stars - Apr 2017 - Mar 2019

Life is the greatest gift. You've all helped shape mine. I can never thank you all enough. It's been so good

Amigos

eurekaDarkseaBearBlackberryVertigoLectorGulfyCaleoZodiakTS

...I'm with you to the end