although it's uncommon in the lowest-class areas, most of the mud kingdom actually does keep track of parentage. they get stricter about it as you go higher in rank--working class citizens can if they want to, but for the highest ranks of nobility, and especially for the royal family, recording who fathered your dragonets is a must.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Such is the path of a dreamer: I find my way by moonlight.

~Oncilla~

Queen of Non SequiturBookwyrmsPangolinsand Bones

Trash Squad, WerewolfGASTER FOLLOWER

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

WoFMBer Dec. 2014-Mar. 2019

that makes sense

• Posted at:

~+Rexy+~

Queen of all things Jurassic Park and anime related

#RememberHurricane

#LGBTQ+

LunaStar, Gulfstream, Violet ~Forum Sis

OC's:

Aquila/Zeus

Crocodile

Python

Cactus

Kuchikori

Borealis

Prismatic

Souleater

Myscelia Ethusa

Mendica

Hornet

@Oncilla I am now facepalming out of my own stupidity. And the 'Nobility/Royalty Mudwings bother to pay attention to parents' makes a lot of sense.

• Posted at:

~+Rexy+~

#RememberHurricane

#LGBTQ+

OC's:

Aquila/Zeus

Crocodile

Python

Cactus

Kuchikori

Borealis

Prismatic

Souleater

Myscelia Ethusa

Mendica

Hornet

silkwings have both structural color and pigmentary color.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

mudwing buildings tend to be circular in design. 

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

the sand kingdom is only sandy in the northern-to-central part. further south, it's rocky desert, the eastern edge near the sky kingdom is mostly scrub desert, and in the southernmost parts near the old night kingdom, the land is full of redrock mountains and canyons. (this southern part is where reddish sandwings come from, and white sandwings come from an area in the kingdom's west, near the sea.)

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

architecture thoughts (cont'd. from two posts ago):

mud: mudwings frequently live in round houses with thatched roofs. these are frequently raised, especially in the floodplain areas of the kingdom. they're typically constructed of wattle and daub, due to its fire retardence and easy availability. the palace is constructed from stone and wood, and extends partway out onto the lake.

sand: sandwing architectural materials include stone, brick (imported from the sky kingdom, when relations are good), adobe (in the southern rocky desert), and others, although never highly-flammable wood. some nomadic sandwing cultural groups just use lightweight tents that they carry with them as they wander, and dragons living in the canyonlands frequently build into the sides of cliffs.

sea: seawings build from stone, coral, whalebone, and wood and animus magic...when they build at all, that is. many seawings are actually nomadic, and the ones that aren't frequently live in underwater caves. the ones who do actually have dragon-made living places will often just use nests made from piled-up rock and sand, or small shelters made of whalebone woven with kelp. the nobility are more likely to live in actual buildings, which will generally be constructed from stone and sunken wood, and stone/wood schools and libraries are common throughout the kingdom.

sky: skywings have highly varied architectural styles, depending on the area of the kingdom. buildings carved into cliffsides, such as the royal palace and its surrounding area, are quite common, especially in areas where there are already caves to build from. in the western rainshadow areas of the kingdom, adobe and brick houses are common, and in the wetter eastern areas, it is not unheard of for dragons to use plain wood for buildings. dugouts are not uncommon either, and nomadic goatherds frequently sleep in lightweight tents similar to the ones sandwings use.

rain: rainwings build with wood, vines, and leaves, and their structures tend to be easily repairable, if not the most durable. historically, stone was sometimes used, but all of these structures have long since fallen into disrepair. 

ice: icewing nobles live in animus-created ice palaces. lower-class dragons actually do live in igloos, in the winter at lease, and in the summer they live in structures made of animal skins and whalebone or wood. icewings living in the boreal forest parts of the kingdom build from wood, the only tribe to do so freely, without concerns about fire hazards. in the warmer parts of the kingdom, sod houses are sometimes used.

night (current): nightwings living in the rainforest kingdom use wood building techniques learned from the rainwings, although their houses tend to be on platforms slightly raised off the forest floor rather than in the treetops. they also use the houses drawn by mightyclaws, which are a type of stone nobody can identify.

night (volcano): on the volcano, nightwings built from stone, mostly, but also iron and bronze. for a while, they also had a type of concrete similar to real-world roman concrete, but knowledge of its production was lost to the volcano.

night (old kingdom): historical nightwings' homes were mostly carved directly into the cliffs that dominated their kingdom, but adobe buildings were also common, and they were well-known from their impressive libraries and schools, built from stone and the aforementioned concrete.

silk (historical): silkwings before the tree wars wove surprisingly sturdy web-nests of silk, which were strung from and supported by the trees. these dwellings were frequently found in loose colonies centered around the cocoon, which functioned both as a place for young silkwings to metamorphose and as a community center. silkwing homes looked like ermine moth homes on a larger scale.

welp, that was longer than anticipated. please let this through, phil!

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

huh, i'm kinda surprised that actually went through.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

pantalans have a distinctly different accent from pyrrhians.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

this is more a discovery than a headcanon, but! there actually is a group of insects! that spins webs from glands in their wrists!! (or at least the closest thing insects have to wrists)

they're called webspinners (order embioptera). unlike silkworms they secrete silk even into adulthood, and use it to build shelters for themselves and their wingless young. they can create silk very quickly, and with comparatively little energy output. these things are basically silkwings you guys

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

silkwings, although generally vegetarians, will eat meat if they're going to lay an egg, or if they have to use their silk extensively, as both processes require extra protein.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

poke

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

I don't get the 'structral and pigmentary color' thing about Silkwings. Also, some particularly stupid/reckless/daring Seawings will go fight sharks in a feeding frenzy, and they often keeps dolphins/octopi as cleaners/pets because of their smarts. And leafwings having splashes of bright color if they live near poisonous plants

• Posted at:

~+Rexy+~

#RememberHurricane

#LGBTQ+

OC's:

Aquila/Zeus

Crocodile

Python

Cactus

Kuchikori

Borealis

Prismatic

Souleater

Myscelia Ethusa

Mendica

Hornet

oh, um...pigmentary color is color based on pigments, like melanin in human skin. structural color is color that comes from the actual shape of molecules, like in the feathers of some birds.

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

i want to know how icewings treat disabled veterans

• Posted at:

~Oncilla~

Writer, roleplayer, nerd

, 2