I mention anxiety and depression and examples for the most part because they are the ones I’m most familiar with, I’m not trying to demean any other illness in doing so

if you’re  going to make a character with a mental illness, do not make it their entire identity 

They aren’t depressed, they’re a person with depression. Someone shouldn’t look at your character and the only thing they can think of is “oh, they have depression” 

Having your character have a mental illness is a good way to add dimension and depth to your character, but you shouldn’t give a character anxiety for the sake of just having a character with a mental illness

Do your research. I cannot stress this enough. Ask questions. It’s much better for you to take 30 seconds to google something than it is for you to choose to remain ignorant. 

It’s not just being sad and it takes more than being sad for it to be considered depression

Can your character be sad for prolonged periods of time? Yes, but that does not automatically mean they have a mental illness

on a similar line but more in the realm of the real world, self-diagnosis is bad 

understandable, if you have done your research and have strong evidence to show that you may have a mental illness like anxiety/depression, that’s fine, but you need an official diagnosis from a qualified doctor

It’s good to be self-aware and conscious of your mental health, but it’s even better when you have a doctor! 

Especially for the more serious illnesses that require in-depth testing. Just because you took a quiz on the internet does not mean you’re schizophrenic 

You’re also running the risk of a placebo effect 

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

Same thing goes for OCD. Don't say things like "I like being organized, I must have OCD!"

It makes people who actually have OCD feel like their illness is a joke to people.

• Posted at:

PLATINUM

He/Him

Ex-Programmer

78th Element, Pt.

Homethread: /344630

#RememberTheLost

"Never been a perfect soul, but I will not apologize."

There are so many things that can go wrong with making a character with a mental illness that it’s not worth the trouble. I strongl agree. @Platinum, I know that’s one of the things that get me annoyed 

• Posted at:

Scorch

(he/him)

[incert mark twain quote here]

Ben Shapiro boiiiiiis

Learn to code

Sorry what I mean is it can be taken wrong in many ways. Sorry for the confusion 

• Posted at:

Scorch

(he/him)

Ben Shapiro boiiiiiis

Learn to code

Up

• Posted at:

s e a f o a m

[ she/her // band trash // here and queer ]

homethread: /333240 ]

you've yee'd your last haw ]

Scorch buddy how old are you just asking 

Storm fur out 

• Posted at:

The Great Storm fur  

call me : Jay.

favorite character in Naruto: Orochimaru.

eye color: dark green.

I am the: Navy ninja.

Best friend: Nephrite.

other best friend: Scorch.

Oh and you don’t have to color my name like that. You can just say Scorch

• Posted at:

Scorch

(he/him)

Ben Shapiro boiiiiiis

Learn to code

14, why are you asking? Don’t think i’m too young, and why are you here when you are 18?

• Posted at:

Scorch

(he/him)

Ben Shapiro boiiiiiis

Learn to code

I actually do have OCD, but I can't word it. I no longer make OC's with OCD or any other mental illness because even if you have it or know a lot about it, your wording might not be perfect. If you really want to make an OC with a mental illness, do what Ishmael said. RESEARCH.

• Posted at:

ғʀs  

ʜ ʟs  

I ʙ ʀʏʙʏ ʟs ʜʀ

ɪs ғ ʜʏ

HAIL KEVIN 

Yes, guys. It might make your OC feel 'special' or something, but it's certainly going to make some people feel special in a bad way when they read about it.

• Posted at:

grendel

(mostly inactive until the forums get moved to home base)

(plato was a great philosopher. he said that we should be kind to everyone, because everyone is fighting a difficult battle.)

I made an OC awhile back for an RP... she was mentally ill. What I mean by that, she viciously attacks any dragon she sees on sight.

• Posted at:

~{Alphawolf/K-9}~

~The Forum Doggo

~ Alpha of the OFWP

~ Dino-nerd

~ The Alpha Spartan

~ CT-43782  

#WeAreODST  

Thought Id try shooting my way out. Mix things up a little. -John-117  

I am a lone wolf.

Preach, Ish.

For example, I have severe anxiety but I don't look anxious every single second. It's a part of me and not who I am, if that makes sense. And that's how OCs should be imo.

• Posted at:

SPECTER

~ They/them ~ Nerdy friendo ~

Fight!

The universe calls.

Let the star's light

Refract into the night.

After all,

This world's never

truly dark.

+*~Believe~*+

@Alphawolf that doesn’t seem like a mental illness, more of a fear response or just holding a grudge. Could you elaborate?

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

Those are all very good points, Ish. Can I also add that having angst does not necessarily mean one has depression? 

And can I please ask: Does certain ways of coping with low self esteem make me narcissistic?

Oof, sorry, that was totally off topic, but I have been told this before. Many times.

"I'm trash." 

I'm not fishing for compliments, that's me actually self coping with low self esteem. 

• Posted at:

Renegade - Ren - Renny

aesthetically pleasing

and somewhat edgy

Female/Bi/Fangirl

Hope Hustle for Your Dreams

✵✵✵ 

#WhiteInkWasWorthIt

^Write that in your sig^

If you see this message.

Agreement! It's important to portray mentally ill characters in media (in my opinion) to create diversity, representation, and awareness, as well as to spread understanding, but it's also important to give them a fully-fleshed personality and do lots of research in order to be as accurate as possible and to not be unintentionally offensive

• Posted at:

Moonflight

⸺⸻⸺•+•⸺⸻⸺

Each of us bear our own cross

Come and talk to me;  341245 ]

[ | She/her | MN | Since 7/31/17 | ]

Now @ moonflying31   :D

PREACH, THE BODY COMPRISED OF SEVERAL PERSONS INCLUDING MYSELF ISHMAEL

• Posted at:

necro(mancer).

creator of CoI, the PJO FWRP (/355313)

the heart wants what it wants

and what it wants

is to burst out of your chest and terrorize people. it's an alien, remember?

@Renegade I don’t think you’re narcissistic. I’ve met quite a people I would qualify as such but I don’t think you are. Then again, I don’t know you irl, so your persona may be different. 

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

And if you still plan to create a character with a mental illness, please don’t make it an easily resolved issue that never comes up again. Probably no one does this, but it’s still nice to have a disclaimer.

• Posted at:

JADE SQUIDSHIPQUAKE

oceans rise, empires fall

we have seen each other through it all

for even if i‘m far away i hold you in my heart

no matter where you go

you’ll never be alone

toffee’s still a walnut

I'm going down with this ship

I agree with all you guys. I saw a character for a RP with ADHD that was super and "couldn't sit still longer than an hour." If you're gonna have a character with an illness or anything, research or ask people how it's like for them to have/live with that illness. For example, I have ADD (inattentive type), and I don't get super hyper or fidgety, I can just get distracted easily and can't focus on my work, so I take medicine to help me focus. It's not my main trait

• Posted at:

Ƒαηƚαѕу/Lιαc

She/Her

Proud Catholic

Bookish Writer-Editor

Fam: Everyone

BotW: 345247

EST. 10/08/14

~ 1632 stars ~

/352812

/354852

Don'thinof thiagoodbyethinof iaa "seyolater."

@Ishmael Neither, actually. It isn't a mental illness as much as a mental disorder.

• Posted at:

~{Alphawolf/K-9}~

~The Forum Doggo

~ Alpha of the OFWP

~ Dino-nerd

~ The Alpha Spartan

~ CT-43782  

#WeAreODST  

Thought Id try shooting my way out. Mix things up a little. -John-117  

I am a lone wolf.

@Platinum- I seriously couldn't agree with you more! I do have OCD, and I get kind of bothered when people say they do when it's obvious that they don't It runs in my family, actually. I have it to a medium degree, and it's DEFINITELY not as bad as I could be. But I still don't like having it turned into a joke.

• Posted at:

Shion 

she/her/pinkiebi

#PRIDE

Gone Animatin'

I love y'all

Ayyyy, I'm back, Forumsville!

Please . . . before we go, read /356112.

Also saying someone is insane carries a lot of weight and I find a lot of characters categorized as insane aren’t insane, at least in the legal definition of the term. 

“mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior.”

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu