For my english class, we were asked to write a 800 word paper on "What makes us human?" Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down there lady! We're too young to be having existential crises.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys, what do you think makes us human? Philosophically I mean, not scientifically.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

SCIENTIST!!!(nickname)

There are equal amounts of bacteria in and on your body, as there are cells in your body, meaning that you are not just your cells, you are an amalgamate of creatures that form together to create you.

the traditional logical answer is rationality 

• Posted at:

>)(<Crimson>)(< 

Son of Justice

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

El Amigo

Please just be okay...

Foolizh autocoreect

But can't most animals rationalize? 

• Posted at:

SCIENTIST!!!(nickname)

There are equal amounts of bacteria in and on your body, as there are cells in your body, meaning that you are not just your cells, you are an amalgamate of creatures that form together to create you.

Not in the least

• Posted at:

Sanetra

11562+ stars - Apr 2017 - Mar 2019

Life is the greatest gift. You've all helped shape mine. I can never thank you all enough. It's been so good

Amigos

eurekaDarkseaBearBlackberryVertigoLectorGulfyCaleoZodiakTS

...I'm with you to the end

I just copied this from the dictionary, it's the official definitions of rationality, and the last example is exactly what we're talking about:

the quality of being based on or in accordance with reason or logic: like any phobia, rationality plays only a small role.
• the quality of being able to think sensibly or logically: Scott wanted to play the character with a bit more dignity and rationality.
• the quality of being endowed with the capacity to reason: we call rationality the distinction of man, when compared with other animals.

• Posted at:

Sanetra

Life is the greatest gift. You've all helped shape mine. I can never thank you all enough. It's been so good

Amigos

What? Can i have a little more than a four word explanation?

• Posted at:

SCIENTIST!!!(nickname)

My explanation had gotten stuck in the mods so I gave the short answer as a placeholder

• Posted at:

Sanetra

Amigos

The constant hunger for conquest. The need to ruin nature. The need to make this post.

• Posted at:

~{Alphawolf/K-9}~

~The Forum Doggo

~ Alpha of the OFWP

~ Dino-nerd

~ The Alpha Spartan

~ CT-43782  

#WeAreODST  

Thought Id try shooting my way out. Mix things up a little. -John-117  

I am a lone wolf.

bold of you to assume that they're humans around

• Posted at:

opal.rb

gender not found

"Human" is too broad of a term. If being human is based off of emotions and intelligence, and we, someday, make an AI that is indistinguishable from us, does that make it human?

• Posted at:

PLATINUM

He/Him

Ex-Programmer

78th Element, Pt.

Homethread: /344630

#RememberTheLost

"Never been a perfect soul, but I will not apologize."

The curiosity of who we are, why we exist, and our ability to judge what we believe is right and wrong. Our ability to care, learn, adapt, and judge makes us humans, in my opinions.

• Posted at:

Cat/Sylvia

Proud hufflepuff

pma!

beauty comes from unity

where people taunt, hope says “try one more time”

#youbelongtoaduck

your loving hybrid friend,

catwolf76

our complete inability to not mess everything up, including but not limited to: life, death, the environment, animals, music, chocolate (bc white chocolate is for heathens), opinions, self-defense, tv, movies, art, and much more

also rationality? CLOSE THE (bloopbleep) DOOR

• Posted at:

happeh  

people come into our lives for a reason

bringing something we must learn

we are led to those who help us most to grow

we help them in return

i don't know if i believe that's true

but i know i'm who i am today

because i knew you

That's what i find so interesting about this topic, there is no right answer that we know of, our definitions of conciousness, humanity, and even the soul, can differ exponentially.

• Posted at:

SCIENTIST!!!(nickname)

opposable thumbs

• Posted at:

m i r i 

✱ thanks for the laughs 

✱ goodbye comerades let’s get this bread 

here’s a question to answer your question. How different are we really from animals? We evolve to adapt to our surroundings like anything else. We strive to spread as far as we are capable of just like everything else. We grow, we breed, we die just like any other creature. If we are unable to adapt to our surroundings, we adapt our surroundings to us like any animal would. We explore to learn more about our world so we can maybe get a little more control over it. The only difference is that we got a genetic defect at some point that made our jaws smaller. That allowed our brains to grow bigger, which enabled it to have more thought. Really it’s just that we are defected that defines us above all others.

• Posted at:

^¥Ash Spawn¥^

He/Him

Slitherin

Forum Family: Zane, Ruby

What some call sands of time, I call the ashes of age.

Afterall, that’s what’ll be left behind in the end, ashes.

Our morality, our rationality, our ability to think logically rather than on the level that most animals do (survival of the fittest). Our unique ability to create and destroy, our innovation, and our adaptability. Our emotions play a part too - our ability to feel on a broader spectrum than most animals separates us from them. Our ability to communicate with eachother, despite living across the world making different sounds with our throats. Our ability to question and reason, and the ability to test these. 

Typically, when a  robot creates, its work is designed based on collective data. Its ability to function is based off of human capabilities, thus making them similar to us, though not quite. Robots, unless they are extremely evolved, do not have our unique abilities to create or feel. A robot writing a book would be different from a human - a robot's range of emotions differs and is severely limited. As of now and the near future, robots will not be able to feel empathy, anguish, grief, or happiness like we do.

Animals can exhibit these traits as well, but not to the degree humans can. We're more developed. We've evolved differently from them. Where we were once they prey, we are the hunter. 

We've adapted to be the superior life form on this planet as of today. Humans are weak - without our minds, we would not make it in this world. We are not as strong as gorillas, or as spindly and athletic as monkeys. Most of us just aren't. But our adaptability to our environments has helped us survive - our evolved minds have allowed us to live, well, everywhere. Sure, humans create and destroy. But this isn't a moral issue - humans are the superior life form. I don't see lions teaching in universities, or wolves running nurseries. Monkies are close, as are dogs that have been domesticated from centuries of breeding and close contact to humans. The truth is, very few animal species can match our wit. While we may sometimes seem dumb, we aren't. Do you think animals really care about climate change? They're affected too, so why aren't they protesting? Probably because the only thought on their minds is their next meal.

Animals have a long way to go before they can match us. In terms of intellect. Our minds are what set us apart from other animals in the kingdom.

• Posted at:

TALON

INTP-

FEMALE  

VIRGO

"I'm not the one who's lost with no direction, but you'll never see."Thanks for the memories, everyone. I'll miss you all.

This thread is both deep and silly at the same time
  • Posted at:

~Sorrel~

MISTAKES ARE PROOF THAT YOU ARE TRYING

#KevinTheButterfly

#RememberTheLost

#Colorless

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE GOING, AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT STOP

^

That right there is a perfect explanation.

• Posted at:

TALON

INTP-

FEMALE  

VIRGO

"I'm not the one who's lost with no direction, but you'll never see."Thanks for the memories, everyone. I'll miss you all.

Our never-ending curiosity and need to be the best, our lack of complacency

• Posted at:

Yellow

Zebrasarecool

#SunnyLickedAQibli

#ClerilIsAFruit

DemonxYellow

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~The Lorax

Christian!

"LICK LICK LICK" she saids as she was put in an assylum

I feel like my explanation and Talon’s are pretty much the same thing.

• Posted at:

^¥Ash Spawn¥^

He/Him

Slitherin

Forum Family: Zane, Ruby

What some call sands of time, I call the ashes of age.

Afterall, that’s what’ll be left behind in the end, ashes.