As some of you may know, I tend to borrow games from my local library to play them. One of these games is Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, a spinoff game in the Pokemon franchise. I've played it before, but I've never been able to finish it. But! I hope to be able to finish it at some point, and hopefully I'll be able to record my adventure in this thread. I hope you enjoy reading through this. ^^ This first post will mostly be background information about the game. Once I restart, I'll be sure to give updates in this thread.

While Pokemon may be a popular video game franchise, the Pokemon Ranger games are actually pretty underrated, in my opinion. Compared to Mystery Dungeon, these spinoffs tend to get much less attention, which is sad, since I really liked this game. I've played only a tiny bit of the first game (due to the fact that I do not own it) but from what I understand, it's as fun as this one. I've also heard the third Ranger game, Guardian Signs, is amazing as well

But what makes the Pokemon Ranger games seperate from the rest of the franchise? While there are many things, the main difference is that the people in the world of Pokemon Ranger aren't trainers; if they have a Pokemon, it's likely that they are Pokemon Rangers -- someone who is supposed to protect others using the power of Pokemon and a device known as the Stylus. Of course, there's more to it, but that's the basic gist of it. 

There will be spoilers in this thread, so if you want to experince Shadows of Almia for yourself, I'd highly suggest that you play the game! It's for the DS, and requires a working DS stylus to play, but if you have a 3DS, I believe that works fine as well

As I said earlier, I'll be posting my progress here somewhat periodically, so once I start the game, I'll be sure to update this thread! Whether it gets through the filter is another story

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Autumn  [Librarian]

she/her - nerd - gamer

"If you make a mistake and do not

correct it, that is a second mistake."

Homethread: /304740

I had guardian Signs once and it was amazing, I can't believe I lost it. I wish you luck in completeing Shadows of Almia.

• Posted at:

Call me "Hawk"

I'm am not Hawk soom wood sai I'm am da Raverze! +I'm Indigo Pizza!!!+

"Letting go is like getting a massage. You'll feel pain, but once you accept that pain, there will be calm." - Hawk. Me.

@Hawk: aww, that's sad; losing a game is never fun. And thank you!

//

I have offically begun (or,, restarted, I suppose?) my adventure in Almia! Oh boy I don't know how much I can contain myself since I love this opening

Warning: this can, and probably will be many, many, walls of text. If you'd like, I provide a TL;DR

The game starts off with a mini-tutorial of the capture system. I pass the test with flying colors, but then some ominous tune begins to play as a man who introduces himself as Mr. Kaplan starts laughing. He says that that I have become a member of the secret army known as Team School, which aims to rule the world....

But then, a woman bursts into the room, telling Kaplan to stop his shenanigans. The woman apologizes for her co-worker's actions, and introduces herself as Mrs. April, who happens to be the protagonist's teacher at this Ranger School that I've just been accepted into. We then leave Kaplan in the practice building and go to our classroom in the main building. Mrs. April then introduces the protagonist to the rest of the class, segwaying into a huge info-dump. 

Mrs. April explains to the player that they were just given something called a "School Styler", which is a simplified verison of the professional "Capture Styler". Since she puts it into words better than I can: "Now, put simply, a Styler is a device used for befriending and capturing Pokemon. By drawing loops around Pokemon, it conveys the Ranger's feelings of friendship to the Pokemon. When the Ranger's friendship is fully conveyed, the Pokemon is captured." Basically, one of the main tasks of a Pokemon Ranger (which the player hopes to become, as they are attending a Ranger School) is to capture and calm down Pokemon using this method, allowing peace to come to the region. Mrs. April then goes on to explain the game's menus, and once she is done, she gives that class a study period so that they can talk to the new student. 

Here, our introductions begin! The two students in the player's class that are worth noting are Keith and Rhythmi, who sit to the right and left of the main character respectively. 

Keith is,,, well,, I'd like to say he's a good boy, but at this point, he's a show-off. He makes a snarky remark about the player taking an hour to do the tutorial (which only took 15 seconds but okay), which annoys Rhythmi, who tells you to pay no attention to him. 

Introducing herself properly, Rhythmi mentions that instead of wanting to become a Ranger like Keith does, she wants to be an Operator, someone who guides Rangers. She then takes us around school for us to get aquainted with the others there. 

As we explore the school, it is apparent that Mrs. April's class isn't the only one in the school; there is a second one, taught by a man known as Mr. Kincaid. He's said to be rather strict, and he uses a lot of hairspray to get his hairstyle to be his swirly one. The only students of note from his class are actually not in class at that moment, so Rhythmi and I take a visit to the library.

While making a snide remark regarding a certain peer (*coughs* Keith), Rhythmi explains that the library is mostly used by an incredibly intelligent boy named Issac. Talking to Issac, he formally introduces himself, and then we go talk to a boy named Ponte, who is summed up by the game to be the "conflicted marshmallow boy." In constrast to Issac, he's not too concerned with his education.

After all these student introductions, we then go meet other members of the school's staff! Although the player was already aware of Mr. Kaplan (the Team School guy), Mrs. April, and Mr. Kincaid, there's a couple of others that Rhythmi introduces the protagonist to. One of these people is Principal Lamont, who is desribed as rather kind, and the other is Janice, the caretaker who is also kind. 

Upon finishing all the introductions inside the school, the bell convientetly rings, signaling that a body has been -- wait, wrong game; bad joke. When the bell rings, Rhythmi excitedly tells the player that they can leave the main building and go to the other parts of the school grounds now! Before we go, she adds that the basement is off-limits, due to Mr. Kincaid's orders. Nobody knows what's there, apparently. 

And outside we go! Rhythmi takes us back to the practice building, where the game began. There, Mr. Kaplan starts his Team School nonsense, but a teacher wearing a matching uniform tells the player to pay no attention to him. Protesting against this, Mr. Kaplan decides to drop his joke for good, and the game gives another tutorial that further explains the capture mechinac; the other teacher, Mrs. Claire, teaches us somthing else known as Target Clears.

After these lessons, Rhythmi and I exit the building, only to see Bidoof everywhere! It turns out, Janice had accidently caused all of the Bidoof to go into a panic, so she then turns to the player for help. Just as she does so, Keith appears! He challenges the protagonist to a "capture race", which angers Rhythmi. Well, guess we have to catch some Bidoof! 

Unfortunely for the players, the Bidoof are SO fast compared to the main character, so it takes some time to properly chase after the Bidoof, but I found the captures to be extremely easy, although that may just be because I'm used to the bosses that appear later on. *shudders in memory of that darn Skunktank -- sorry, I digress.*

The game rigs it so that Mr. Show-off wins, but only by 1. He then makes a comment that the player earned a 65 out of 100, but they didn't do so bad for someone who just started. Rhythmi is not thrilled at his behavoir, but then she convinces the player along with Keith to go to Accention Square, a school landmark where those in a platonic bond can make everlasting promises to each other. 

There, the trio (or rather, duo of Rhythmi and Keith, as the player lacks the ability to talk since they are a silent protag) disscusses a few things, but are interupted by the school bell. Vying for your friendship, Keith tells you something along the lines of "forget Rhythmi, I'll be your friend" but the entire thing is laughed off. It's safe to say they're all friends now, and boy do I love this friend group. It's so pure 

Annnnnnnd that's it for now! While the introduction phase of the game is still in session, the first big chunk of it is complete

I can't wait for the next part, since I know what's going to happen 

Keith, oh boy I can't help but laugh at you

• Posted at:

Autumn  [Librarian]

she/her - nerd - gamer

oh boy,,, that's quite the wall of text 

Hopefully these next few parts aren't that long, but they might be

Most of the updates for this thread will either come in the morning or at nighttime (EST), depending on when I have the time. Expect nighttime updates to be more common

TL;DR verison of the previous post: the player arrives at a Ranger School, in hopes of becoming a Pokemon Ranger. Mrs. April, our teacher, lets us explore the school with a girl named Rhythmi, and we meet many characters, including: Keith, a peer of ours that tends to brag about his capturing skill; Mr. Kincaid, the strict, hairspray-using teacher next door; Issac, the incredibly smart kid; Ponte, the "conflited marshmallow boy"; Mr. Lamont, the school's principal; Janice, the kind and sweet caretaker at the school; and Mr. Kaplan and Mrs. Claire, the tutorial teachers. 

After all these introductions, we go Bidoof chasing, since Janice accidentally scares them into a frenzy. Keith takes this opporituny to challenge the player, but the game is set up so that he always wins the competition, no matter what. After this, Rhythmi decides to allow Keith to follow her and the player to an on-site location known as Accentsion Square, where they all become friends. Following this, the school's bell rings, so the trio returns to their dorms. 

• Posted at:

Autumn  [Librarian]

she/her - nerd - gamer

they say third time's the charm, so here's attempt 3

Please, let this through; it may be longer than one of my best essays but that's okay since that shows how much I put into this

If this doesn't go through I might as well give up on updating this with detail and only give tl;dr versions of everything

Starting off where we left off that night, Rhythmi and the player are talking the girl's dorm. The protagonist had just finished writing a letter to their little sister, and Rhythmi then comments that the main character must be really close to her family. She then adds on that she was about to write to her own family about the player, and Keith. After this small chit-chat, Rhythmi suggests that the two sneak out of the dorm for a bit.

Upon exiting the room, we meet up with Keith and two other unnamed students. After Keith scolds Rhythmi for making the group wait, Rhythmi explains to the player what's going on, to the excitement of the others. As a school tradition, every new student must go through a "test of courage", where the rules are simple: the transfer student must retrieve the four (4) stylers belonging to each of the other students, and then place them in the basement. Keith continues, assuring the protagonist that the task isn't hard, but it isn't safe to do alone; as per the rules, the one sitting to the left of the new student must accompany them during the test. Keith is then hit with the realization that this helper is him, and then we're off!

Right as the duo arrive on the main floor of the school, a cry rings throughout the hallway. Keith screams in fear, but upon investigating, it's just a Bidoof. Whew! What a scardy-cat you are, Keith -- oh wait, after that he's whining about getting this over with as fast as possible. Alright then. Let's pretend I didn't skip over collecting all four stylers and and skip over to the second part of the test.

Upon entering the basement, a surprised Keith comments on how there shouldn't be any obstacles, even there's clearly plenty. After making short work of the messy blocks and such scattered around, we reach the door where we are to place the stylers. Suddenly! It's a ghost! Keith screams again, but after capturing the Gastly that suddenly appear, he seems to calm down. The commotion causes an angry Mr. Kincaid to open the door, and shout at Keith and player, causing the duo to scramble back upstairs to the dorms.

After we leave the basement, the game shows what's beyond the door: a messy lab, with Isaac standing in front of some machinery. Issac questions the teacher about the noise from the hallway, to which Mr. Kincaid answers, "It was a Zubat." Wow,,, a teacher.. lying? Tsk tsk. Kincaid then vaguely asks Isaac about his progress, to which Isaac says cannot be determined at the moment. The two then decide to go get some sleep (I mean. It's presumably past school curfew at this point). Mr. Kincaid says that he's expecting great things from Isaac, and then the screen blacks out for a second.

We get a letter from our younger sister! She says that the player's parents are planning to move to a house nearby the school, as they currently live in another region. But enough of letters; let's get back to school life! How fun, since the next playable day is the Outdoor Class, where the school will be having a guest speaker: a Pokemon Ranger named Crawford. The students at the school pester Crawford with questions, but the class is cut short when a beeping noise rings throughout the clearing. All of the students overhear the voicemail message (which is more like a phone call, in all honesty), which demands that Crawford go on a mission to save a Mantine. Just as the voicemail call finishes, a ship's horn is heard, and Crawford promptly leaves.

While the other students return to the school's main campus, Rhythmi, Keith, and the main character all stay behind by the Pledge Rock. In awe over being meeting a real Ranger, the group promises to work hard towards their goals, creating a wonderfully sappy scene. Keith says a nice, cheesy quote here: "There are no guarantees anywhere. You have to grab hold of your dreams and make them come true!"

The current day ends, and once again the screen shows a letter from the player's younger sister. There isn't much of substance in it, and continuing onto the next day drops the player into a class session with Mrs. April. After telling the students the happy news of Crawford's success in his mission, she then begins to teach the class about the voicemail system. By explaining that Rangers can only do so much without a Operator helping them, she shows the class two proper Capture Stylers. For a demonstration, Mrs. April calls on Rhythmi and Keith, telling them to -- wait, where's Keith?

Realizing that Keith isn't there, Mrs. April shrugs off his absence and replaces him with the player. Rhythmi tries to use the voicemail system, but as the two are in the same room, it proves ineffective, so the player decides to relocate to try it somewhere else. However, just as she is about to leave, Mr. Kincaid barges into the room, demanding to talk to Keith. Upon learning that he isn't there, he accuses our friend of theft, saying Keith stole a box of School Stylers from the basement, and he's missing because he's finding a place to store the goods he stole.

At this, Rhythmi protests, clearly upset that Mr. Kincaid would say such a thing. Mrs. April calms the two down, and says that she'll go find Keith herself. With this, the other students in the classroom also promise the same thing. Rhythmi then tells the player that if either of them find anything, regarding Keith or the stolen Stylers, they should contact each other via voicemail. And with this, the player is tasked with the job of clearing Keith's name. However, I haven't done this yet, so this is where my progress ends for now.

As I was writing this, I'm wondering if I should just replace "the player/protagonist/main character" with the "canon" name for the female protagonist, "Kate". It may not be the name I choose for my character, but it'll certainly make this a lot less wordy, and I can then be consistent with how I refer to her. @Anyone reading this, should I?

• Posted at:

Autumn  [Librarian]

she/her - nerd - gamer

In posting that 24 hours late, I forgot that my progress goes slightly beyond what's listed here so I'll summarize 

Although I can't promise much detail, I will say that from here on, any reference to "Kate" is just me talking about the protagonist

Conducting a search in throughout the school provides no help; both Keith and the missing Stylers cannot be found. After being called to the front door by Rhythmi, Kate is informed of Janice's insight: there was a school styler randomly found outside. Upon hearing this news, the duo rush outside, where they find a nice trail of Stylers waiting. Following the trail leads Kate and Rhythmi to the front gate, where we see none other than Keith. However, he isn't alone: for some reason, a stranger is there with him. 

Seeing his friends, Keith instantly starts explaining that this stranger had stolen a box of School Stylers, and Keith caught him. Keith, being the guy he is, ran after the stranger, which lead them to the current situation. Rhythmi expresses her anger towards the man, so the man decides to make a dash for it. Unfortuntly for him, he runs into a tree, causing a Slakoth to fall on top of him. Keith says that the group should take this chance to report him, but Rhythmi demands Kate to help the thief, as that is a Ranger's duty. 

As we clean up the mess, Ms. April (whoops, turns out that all of the teachers are a Ms., not a Mrs) finds the group, expressing her joy, as Rhythmi and Kate were also about to be considered missing. The group explains the situtation to their teacher, which causes Ms. April to angry as well. Willing to give him a chance, she asks the man why he did what he did, and the thief answers that he always wanted to be Ranger. Ms. April is further angered by this, and scolds him for resorting to such a deed. She tells him to think hard about what he wants to do, and then lets him get away, scott-free. 

Returning to the school, Principal Lamont and Mr. Kincaid are told of the details of the case, with the expection of the one fact that we let him escape. Expressing his relief, the principal makes yet another wonderfully cheesy speech about never giving into the darkness in one's heart, and then Ms. April proceeds to give compliments to both Rhythmi and Kate about their preformances that day. Keith? Better luck next time; you're too rash. 

And so, another day of the player's school life ends, and then letter leading up to the next day states that Kate's family is planning to move to a nearby village known as Chicole Village all the way from the Fiore region. But of course, that's not important at the current moment, because we have school!

Turns out, it's time for everyone's 1-Day Internships. Rhythmi exclaims to Kate and Keith that she's been summoned to the Ranger Union's HQ, and then shows them a newspaper article praising said Union. Ms. April then interrupts, saying that Keith and Kate are to report to the Ranger Base in Vientown, the town where Crawford is from. With that, the two are off on their very first expedition outside the school! And my progress ends there!

• Posted at:

Autumn  [Librarian]

she/her - nerd - gamer

Whoops, guess who had to return the game back to the library :/

Updates will return whenever I borrow the game again, just in case you're wondering

That could be in a while, though

• Posted at:

Autumn  [Librarian]

she/her - nerd - gamer